Federal Fishing License?

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
As a lifetime fisherman and retiree I wished we could have a federal permit of some sort to fish in any state.
I like to travel as funds permit and love to fish but I find that out of state permits costs prohibit me from doing much fishing out of my own state.
I don't suppose that this will ever come to be as fishing licenses are state issued and the money goes to the state for their own fisheries.
But it would be nice to experience the fishing in other states.
I suppose hunters feel the same way.

I ran into a guy in another state once at a camp ground and he told me that he had no license to fish but what he had for ID was a phony. That way he could get a ticket and not pay it and all he might face if the loss of his fishing gear depending on the state. He said it worked for him. I guess you would have to be very careful not to get a ticket under the same name/ID in the same state otherwise they might just arrest you on a warrant?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I hear yea. I feel that exact same way with carry permits as well. But we all know that it will never happen. The closest I see it happening, is the Federal government demand to have an additional license to hunt and fish, even in you our state if they figure more money would come in for them to squander. Hard to think of anything these days that isn't licensed or taxed. JMHO!

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with you as someone that also carries. But that too will never happen. I just carry anyway, always have. Had permits in 3 states and AZ now within the state does not require one to carry concealed but I see changes on the horizon.
I have also thought that if someone served in the service of their country that should allow them to carry in all states just like retired LEO types. That too will never happen. Chances are if you served in combat that you know more about guns and their effectiveness than the LEOs do.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Sounds pretty dumb to me to be fishing with no license and fake ID...

They can confiscate the poles, boat, trailer, truck.... EVERYTHING used to facilitate fishing, for not having a license.

And its a felony to use the false ID.
Lets add a 2 to 10 year prison sentence on.

Pretty expensive gamble to avoid paying for the license.

Some states (I know Texas does but forgot the minimum % rating) give disabled veterans FREE hunting and fishing licenses... just bring that paper the VA sends you every year that says what your disability rating is.

Check with your state as to what the % requirements are.

Last edited:

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with you and I am well aware that they can confiscate your gear. But most I have run into doing this type of thing are fishing from the shore with cheap gear and minimal risk.

I am a disabled vet but only with 30% currently. Unfortunately that may be going up very soon. If I get too much worse I won't have to worry about travel or fishing much longer! :cold: I have not run into any state that will give you a permit with even a discount with that low of a percentage and then you have to be a resident.

aspeck

Staff member
Your vehicle to get there is part of the "fishing equipment." Most states have a relatively inexpensive "7 Day Visitor" license. I have purchased and used this option in many states. Out of state fishing licenses are MUCH cheaper than out of state hunting licenses ... it costs me over $1,000 for licenses to hunt in Colorado after collecting all the tags I go for. That is why I don't do it every year. The most I have paid for a 7 Day visitor fishing license is $25. Yep, fishing is a lot cheaper.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
You pay to play the license is way cheaper than what you have invested in gear. Most states do offer 3-5 day out of state tags that are cheaper.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know out of state licenses are available, but when you seriously think about both fishing and hunting, it seems funny. The fish and animals certainly don't belong to any one state or area. But we seem to allow them to charge us to catch them even if you release them again. Sounds funny when you look at it from that angle. :eek:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I pay the fee, in whatever state I wish to fish, for the benefits the fee provides.

In many states, if you go online, you can buy and pay for a temp visitor license, often at a discount for doing it online. NC allows me to select the start date of my 7day license, months in advance, so its just part of my travel planning. Note, print it when you pay for it online. Else they may want to charge a duplicate printing fee.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I know these days, many of the states are members of the interstate violations group, so if you are convicted of a violation in one state you can loose your hunting and fishing privileges in up something like 43 states, I have not had to pay for my licenses in my state for many years now, because of my disability and my awards while in the military, I know here where I live, different levels of disability, military service, awards and such can result in very inexpensive licenses and sometimes even free for certain classifications even for non-residents, my Father was able to purchase a lifetime fishing licenses here as a non-resident for $5.00 but we did have to fill quite a bit of paperwork out. Also, if you are a disabled vet, you can get a national park pass for free and many of the national parks allow you to fish for free or very deeply discounted prices. My wife was able to purchase her lifetime pass to the national parks for 10 dollars because of her age, and she no longer pays for her fishing licenses and we receive discounts on campground fees.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There are many considerations to take into account. I would hate to see the federal government get more involved in fish and game. They seem to think that one size fits all. There are very different regional considerations when it comes to wildlife.

Any violation with WDFW would seriously affect part of my recreation. I'm a volunteer for them involved in packing fry into high lakes in Washington State. Any violation could prevent me from getting this fun and exercise. One of their requirements that doesn't make sense to me is that I cannot carry any firearm while stocking the fish. Sometimes I may be out there during hunting season and I'm licensed to hunt but I guess rules are rules. I have 3 lakes to stock this year and am looking forward to doing them. It'll probably be July before I can do 2 if them with the last one late September or the first part of October. Golden trout hatch too late so the fry are not available any earlier.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The Feds need to stay out of it. I want to keep the states receiving the money to manage its fishery. Management varies from state to state, county to county and even lake to lake within the same county.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I agree. Having done this volunteer work since 1979 I see directly how specific lake data is essential for proper management. Generally the biologists do a good job but they are restricted by political considerations which means meddling in the science.

If you're interested in the club's public information check out (watrailblazers.org). We meet the first Thursday of each month unless it's a holiday.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Look at the mess saltwater fisheries are in. For example, in the Gulf of Mexico, the Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida regs over shadowed by the Federal regs. In many cases the states allows larger take and size limits while the Fed limits are much smaller. From Tx to Fl, the fisheries are different, yet the Feds apply the same, one size fits all "solution". The same situation exists on the East Coast and I don't know, but I'm sure the West Coast is the same.

If we had Federal fishing licenses, most likely Federal limits would replace state limits, where currently our license fees are used to administer state fishing/hunting resources and park lands. The states would need to get some funds back from the Feds and in no way would there any guarantee of replacing what the Feds got instead.

Spend the few bucks to purchase a non-resident, short-time state fishing license for those times when you want to fish in another state. We all would pay through the nose if the licenses were through a Federal program, and not always in a monetary manner.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Used to be here..when you reached 65 the fishing license only cost you 4.00 instead of twenty something. So...the year before I turned 65 ( last year !)... They changed that. Now there is no cheap seniors fishing license....but it's FREE if you are 90 or older... Ahh....I don't know anyone 90 or over that is still CAPABLE of fishing! Story of my life!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Look at the mess saltwater fisheries are in. For example, in the Gulf of Mexico, the Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida regs over shadowed by the Federal regs. In many cases the states allows larger take and size limits while the Fed limits are much smaller. From Tx to Fl, the fisheries are different, yet the Feds apply the same, one size fits all "solution". The same situation exists on the East Coast and I don't know, but I'm sure the West Coast is the same.

If we had Federal fishing licenses, most likely Federal limits would replace state limits, where currently our license fees are used to administer state fishing/hunting resources and park lands. The states would need to get some funds back from the Feds and in no way would there any guarantee of replacing what the Feds got instead.

Spend the few bucks to purchase a non-resident, short-time state fishing license for those times when you want to fish in another state. We all would pay through the nose if the licenses were through a Federal program, and not always in a monetary manner.

GA, my suggestion of a Federal license wasn't about one license (that would be great if done right), I was talking about the Federal government adding on their fishing and hunting license as well. So you would still have to buy a state license AND a Federal one if they ever thought about the extra revenue they could bring in and spend. There will never ever be a Federal license to replace the state ones. But I honestly can't say there will never ever be an additional Federal license to buy either, in addition to the state license as well. :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
GM - I just added my general thoughts about the OP's title and first post, not about any particular reply. Otherwise a quote would have preceded the post.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
For example, in the Gulf of Mexico, the Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida regs over shadowed by the Federal regs. In many cases the states allows larger take and size limits while the Fed limits are much smaller. From Tx to Fl, the fisheries are different, yet the Feds apply the same, one size fits all "solution". The same situation exists on the East Coast and I don't know, but I'm sure the West Coast is the same..
What east coast fishery are you talking about? Fisheries inside the 3 mile limit are State managed

Last edited:

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
Interesting, but I figured that state's rights would come into play somewhere.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM - I just added my general thoughts about the OP's title and first post, not about any particular reply. Otherwise a quote would have preceded the post.

GA, wasn't complaining just restating to clarify. No issue here. :smile: