home defense gun choices?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I think one of the biggest problems when a question of this nature comes up, is we all to often over think, instead of the simple solutions, the best option is the one that works for you and it really does not matter what it is. We all like to make sure we could, but in truth when it happens or if it happens the whole picture changes. When you are put into the position of fighting for your life, all bets are off and there are no rules, you just do what you need to do and when it is over, you look back and ask yourself, what the heck just happened!

southkogs

Staff member
I think one of the biggest problems when a question of this nature comes up, is we all to often over think, instead of the simple solutions, the best option is the one that works for you and it really does not matter what it is. We all like to make sure we could, but in truth when it happens or if it happens the whole picture changes. When you are put into the position of fighting for your life, all bets are off and there are no rules, you just do what you need to do and when it is over, you look back and ask yourself, what the heck just happened!
Well said, MT.

Went out and shot trap yesterday with a friend and my kids. My Mossberg is kinda' fun to shoot, but it was bought primarily as a home defense gun. Shot my friends break action trap gun (Remington) ... wonderful gun. Shot milky smooth. But it's a long barrel and not well suited to why I bought my shotgun. Two good guns, both work "well enough" in scenarios they weren't meant for, but ultimately one works better than the other in it's intended role.

If you want something you'll shoot often ... find one you like and (mostly) ignore us :)

thumpar

Admiral
If you are going for medium size I would go with 9mm over .380. The only difference in the rounds is the length of the brass and 9mm usually has a little heavier bullet but same diameter. The .380 can be a bit snappy so the admiral might like the 9mm better. The ammo is cheaper and you have a better selection with 9mm too. There is an indoor range here that has a "date night" where you get a 2 for 1 range fee and all the range guns have free rental so you can shoot as many as you want. You might see if there is anything like that in your area. That is how I chose my M&P over the Glock (mine at the time) and XD.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Response to comments.

jb uncertain about ranges that will allow test fire of different guns but it is something to look into.

gm, yes I find comfort in a large mag. and agree that hopefully one or two shots is enough to drive off an intruder, or again at least make them reconsider entering the room we are in. I don't expect to ever get into an extended gun battle but it's nice to know it's there if needed w/o having to reload. I feel it would be easier to keep someone pinned down than it would be to hit them.

I recently read a study of police involved shootings and it found that at best even trained police only have a 50% hit rate at best.

MT, I have never been in a gun battle and truly hope I never have to. As I stated early on I believe that each and every one of us is capable under the right circumstance. Again hope I never have to prove that theory. I also believe the fear factor of being in that situation can and does do strange things to people.
1st the fear of just being there and the unknown and 2nd the fear of actually having to pull on another human and possibly take their life.

We just don't know how we will react until it actually happens.

Southkogs, I'm not new to guns, just been away from them for a long time. I've shot many different types of weapons in my younger days. I am not a hunter by nature so I tend to stay away from long guns. I've shot many long Varminter rifles from 22/250 to 25.06 out to 500yrd., Have also hunted pheasant with a number of different shotguns from 20ga. to 12ga..

Have shot the S&W 44mag and found it very uncomfortable even with light hand loads. With the size of my hands I have even peeled skin in the web of my hand with my old Model 19 357mag while shooting hot mag loads. It was fun but it still hurt!

I enjoyed competitive pistol shooting back then along with long range varmint shooting. It's still cheaper to shoot handguns than long guns.

southkogs

Staff member
Southkogs, I'm not new to guns, just been away from them for a long time.
Sorry bonz, didn't mean to come across like I thought you were a newb or anything. I was really trying to agree with MT, and defer to you.

I've found with shooting - much like motor oil - it's different strokes for different folks. If you get a little .22 revolver that you like, and you shoot and you can put in a place that's strategic for home defense, it'll be better for you than a gun that in theory sounds great but you never take it out and shoot it.

I hope we're giving you feedback you can use, but ultimately ... find something ya' like.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Southkogs by no means was any offense taken. Guess I was just trying to clarify what my experience with guns is.

Or is it like asking what's the best method of catching LM Bass! Topwater, cranks or plastics.

I guess I should be honest and tell everyone that the Beretta Cheetah was on my want list long ago while I was still shooting along with the Browning Hi Power. Back then I shot a friends Colt 1911 and though it is a nice gun I just didn't like the why it felt in my hand.

I think thru all this I've convinced myself to fulfill that want and start with a Cheetah and teach her that gun and then possibly move on to something newer.

Thumper, The Beretta is a larger medium frame with almost a 4" barrel and is also probably the heaviest and largest of the small 380 pistols. Which should make it more controllable w/o the snap of a 2.5" barreled compact.
Yes the 380 is to the 9mm what the 38 is to the 357mag.. From what I've been reading the new 380 rounds are producing the same ballistics as the 38 Special. even with the lighter bullets. So with the new ammo I don't see that there will be much difference between a 4" barreled 380 and a Snubby 38 Special.

Anyways I'm very much enjoying this conversation everyone. Always open to different points of view. Also seems to be much to discuss these days when it come to firearms.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just food for thought... You can always change the grips out, so don't always rule out a gun by the first time you pick it up. If it's the caliber you like, but you want smaller/larger grips, ask the store owner to swap grips and see how that feels. Might not always be the case, but it's worth asking!

thumpar

Admiral
I am just not a fan of Beretta because they have some of the worst customer service and warranty in the industry.

southkogs

Staff member
Anyways I'm very much enjoying this conversation everyone. Always open to different points of view. Also seems to be much to discuss these days when it come to firearms.
A good distraction while we wait for the world to thaw out :D

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
So the wife and I have been talking about a pistol for home defense in the worst case scenario.

Knowing a bit about pistols and ballistics I've been considering a 380 ACP over a 9mm. Now I have two in mind for this, the Beretta 84 Cheetah and the older Browning BDA. Neither of these are compact concealed carry guns and am not really looking for that. Both of these are midsize frames with a 3.8" barrel. Because of the size and weight of these I feel it would be a good choice for the wife to also learn on and not be intimidated by the recoil.

Thoughts or feedback?
I have a Taurus 3" Judge..... It's great because it's a double action revolver, you can easily see if it's loaded just by looking at the cylinder, there's no safety "switch" to fumble with, no slide to "rack" ........you can either pull the hammer back and fire, or you can just pull the trigger.

Using "defense" 410 shot shells, you don't have to be very accurate and the projectiles don't go very far. (I.E they won't go into the house next door)

It's a fairly heavy hand gun so the recoil is not all that bad.

It's very simple to operate. Point and shoot! My wife has no problems with it at all.

Cheers,

Rick

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
There are so many choices out there...it just may come down to personal preference. Down here in central FL where I live, I don't live in a overly urban area, so we keep 2 5 shot .38 special revolvers in easy to reach places. I use .38+p 125gr Hollow points. For my GARAGE GUN . I have a Charter Arms .357, with the same .38+P loads. The wife and I shoot at the range from time to time and shoot .22's all the way to .45's. When we travel it's either a .45 1911A1 230 gr hollow points or a Ruger P89 9mm with 115gr Sub Sonic hollow points. There are some very nice single stack 9mm's out there we are looking at notably from Ruger and S&W. Matter of fact my son just purchased a S&W Shield 9mm for his wife, loaded out with 115 grn sub sonic hollow points. PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE!

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Most people can't hit crap with ANY handgun under stress! My house gun is a Mossberg 835 ultimag with a short barrel w/sights and a 10 round magazine. Loaded w/ 00 and slugs. Close range backup is my 'Nam issue 1911. Don 't live in town and am not concerned with my walls! Been in plenty of gun battles....just not in a house!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
So glad I live where we do in Canada !!!! We pretty much leave the doors unlocked here !!!

thumpar

Admiral
So glad I live where we do in Canada !!!! We pretty much leave the doors unlocked here !!!
What does that have to do with this? I would be scared to live in a country that almost completely outlaws guns.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Guys, Canada and gun laws arent the discussion at hand.

Stay on target. Bonz has repeatedly stated his position, his needs and wants

bigdee

Commander
I just noticed that Taurus has drastically cut the price of the pt111,G2 millennium 9mm. Intriguing looking weapon. I like the DO/SA for a conceal b/c you can keep the first round chambered and uncocked without having to rack the slide.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Stay on target. Bonz has repeatedly stated his position, his needs and wants

Indeed he has.:focus:

So the wife and I have been talking about a pistol for home defense in the worst case scenario.
That's why I mentioned my "Judge" We're talking about Home Defence. Not open or Concealed Carry. If you think you have a Home invasion going on and the intruder is armed with any weapon, Your weapon will NOT be concealed, nor will it be holstered.

This is where the Judge
Taurus_Judge_Magnum.JPG

OR,

SW Govenor
sw-governor-1.jpg

Or possibly a short-barrel pump shotgun will really shine for all the reasons I mentioned before.....................

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I just noticed that Taurus has drastically cut the price of the pt111,G2 millennium 9mm. Intriguing looking weapon. I like the DO/SA for a conceal b/c you can keep the first round chambered and uncocked without having to rack the slide.

Brother has one and loves it. We are supposed to get together for a shoot. Should be fun.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Indeed he has.:focus:

That's why I mentioned my "Judge" We're talking about Home Defence. Not open or Concealed Carry. If you think you have a Home invasion going on and the intruder is armed with any weapon, Your weapon will NOT be concealed, nor will it be holstered.

This is where the Judge
Taurus_Judge_Magnum.JPG

OR,

SW Govenor
sw-governor-1.jpg

Or possibly a short-barrel pump shotgun will really shine for all the reasons I mentioned before.....................

If the "Judge" is capable of shooting .410 shot shells, it should also be able to shoot 45 Long Colt rounds as well. And some of those rounds are really ground stompers. The original 45 LC rounds were mild because they were shot out of older guns that were not build very strong. But new 45 LC guns are every bit as powerful as 44 mag ammo. So you can use 45LC ammo in the Judge, or so it would seem. But you better be holding on really good. I have a Thompson Contender 10" barreled .410/45 Long Colt pistol. And loaded with modern 45LC ammo (I reload them as well) it is a very powerful hunting round. JMHO!

thumpar

Admiral
If the "Judge" is capable of shooting .410 shot shells, it should also be able to shoot 45 Long Colt rounds as well. And some of those rounds are really ground stompers. The original 45 LC rounds were mild because they were shot out of older guns that were not build very strong. But new 45 LC guns are every bit as powerful as 44 mag ammo. So you can use 45LC ammo in the Judge, or so it would seem. But you better be holding on really good. I have a Thompson Contender 10" barreled .410/45 Long Colt pistol. And loaded with modern 45LC ammo (I reload them as well) it is a very powerful hunting round. JMHO!
The Judge does shoot 45LC. I have heard of some owners that like to load .410 and .45 as every other round in the cylinder. My girlfriend's dad has the 3" model.