home defense gun choices?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I know that I see topics brought up here on occasion about guns and such and know there are a good number of members that own them. So I'm looking for thoughts and advice.

Many years ago I used to own and did a lot of pistol shooting, was even doing my own reloading. I enjoyed it then and had a number of friends that I used to shoot with. At the time it was with a S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum that was dressed out for target shooting and then also some with a friends Colt 1911 and another friends S&W Model 29 and a brother-in-laws Colt Trooper.

Friends slowly moved away, 3rd child was born and kind of just lost interest. Besides the fact that a 357 probably isn't the best round for home defense. Didn't need to blow holes thru 3 walls.

So the wife and I have been talking about a pistol for home defense in the worst case scenario.

Knowing a bit about pistols and ballistics I've been considering a 380 ACP over a 9mm. Now I have two in mind for this, the Beretta 84 Cheetah and the older Browning BDA. Neither of these are compact concealed carry guns and am not really looking for that. Both of these are midsize frames with a 3.8" barrel. Because of the size and weight of these I feel it would be a good choice for the wife to also learn on and not be intimidated by the recoil.

Thoughts or feedback?

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Can I change the title to choice? Instead of debate?

Helping you make a good gun choice is great. A gun debate? Not so much, not that tyoe of forum.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The look and feel of a pistol are important considerations, along with ease of use.

Take the wife shopping, and see what she is most comfortable handling and shooting.

I prefer more modern designs, and have sold off all my pre 90's pistols.

And, if you want pistol "for home defense in the worst case scenario", do you really want a 380?
I would go with a 9.

Lots to choose from, and each one has its own feel when being fired.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I have our 357 loaded with 38 rounds which cuts down on recoil considerably, There is also a pump shotgun located in the bedroom for home defense. ( No small children around so the shotgun isn't locked.) I'm not familiar with the two pistols you mentioned, but I do carry a Ruger LCP 380, and the Admiral has fired it at the range along with my 9mm, and 45's. She too prefers less recoil and feels the LCP being so small is a little to snappy over the full size 9mm. A full size or lager framed 380 should have less recoil.

alldodge

Staff member
Pistols with bullets use hollow points and nothing bigger then 9mm so it as less of a chance of going thru walls.
.410 pistol as Limited said
Sawed off shot gun with 00-buck no 3 inch shells

edit: recoil on .410 isn't that bad

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The biggest bore and shortest barrel you can handle... and hit where you are aiming.

there is no single best.

get what is best for you.

southkogs

Staff member
Limited-Time's suggestion of the Judge by Taurus is not where I was headed, but it's in the same vein. I prefer shotguns in the house. I've got a short barrel Mossberg for inside - two reasons: I prefer the way shot works in close quarters and busting through walls, AND (secondly) I love having the audible sound of a pump action loading up a care package to send a message in the dark.

I will add - best home defense in the world is a good dog. With the dog, a plan and a bunch of well placed sticks/bats can be nearly as effective as any gun would be.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Or a good cat...

We had a cat rip the leather jacket off of a burglar and then shred his back.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The Colt 1911 is still basically the same gun today and many more were designed around it. Same goes for a DA revolver so modern isn't necessarily better.

I've been reading many discussions between the 9mm and the 380 and have even been watching ballistic videos so the question to me is between stopping power and deterrence. At 20' a 22 cal. rim fire can kill a person. A 9mm will still pass thru 6 sheets of drywall with ease.

Way back then we used to load 357 with 158gr. lead hollow base wadcutters and load them upside down with light charges. What a load! We also used to take plastic bags like from the grocery store and pack them full of newspaper and then soak them in water until they'd swell and the plastic bag would stretch tight. That's what we used for ballistic testing as we didn't have gel. That wadcutter was easy to shoot and had a horrific impact. As I recall it was only traveling at about 650fps. Granted at 50' it had zero energy left, but at 20' or less, WOW. Same could be done with the 44 mag.

I think more important than ballistics is the ability to get the weapon quickly on target and accurately control multiple shoots.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think the pucker factor of being in someone else's house, in the dark, up to no good and hearing the rack of a pump shotgun would be considerable, and significantly louder then a 45/9s slide or a hammer being cocked on a revolver.

Not a gun guy, but I have handled and fired lots that have flowed thru pop's gun cabinets.

Pump action, pistol grip in the largest guage the Admiral can tolerate would be my recommendation.

Short frame, easier to stow and swing into firing position, IMO. IDK is that available in a 410ga?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I will add - best home defense in the world is a good dog. With the dog, a plan and a bunch of well placed sticks/bats can be nearly as effective as any gun would be.

Whole heartedly agree. They can be great alarms and deterrents while I also agree that it's better to run when you can but sometime one just can't run.

The wife and I have discussed the theory of better to have one and never need it than to not have one. With also the same thinking of knowing how to use one over not knowing how to even if you don't have one.

bigdee

Commander
Taurus makes a woman friendly small .380 semi. It is DOA so no safety to forget and it even comes in pink! Fairly low cost too...around $230. Many gun ranges use these as rentals so you might want to let your wife try one first.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have two shotguns, one by each door, both loaded with buckshot and my go to gun is my Charles Daley compact .45 with 230 grain hollow points loaded in it, not a much velocity, but still a hell of a lot of knock down power, I have started carrying as my conceal gun as well the last couple of weeks after spending a few days at the range with the local police force and it is the exact same gun they carry for off duty guns. I carried many different guns in the Military for the various situations that could turn up, but since I have retired I have favored the .45 and the 9mm with plus load rounds in it, I believe I am going to pick up either a .40 S&W or a 10mm and see how it does. Of course the new AR is always available loaded with strapped double 30 rounders on it if things really get nasty.

That said, where I live, I am not as worried about 2 legged invaders as I am 4 legged invaders with a great hunger and long claws!

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
You said you were not concerned about weight or conceal carry but wanted low recoil. The HiPoint .380 fits that category nicely. Almost zero recoil, it can be fired one-handed. Cheap and ugly but it is one of the most reliable guns. An excellent bedside gun.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You said you were not concerned about weight or conceal carry but wanted low recoil. The HiPoint .380 fits that category nicely. Almost zero recoil, it can be fired one-handed. Cheap and ugly but it is one of the most reliable guns. An excellent bedside gun.

I have a HP 9mm and other than ugly, it is a pretty good shooting gun.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
just a wild guess, but you do have a flair gun in your boat? Bring it in the house, better than nada. And it is a 12ga slug of sorts, with what recoil? ha Light, legal without a permit, and will leave a nasty wound if nothing else. PLUS, you can see if you hit 'em!!!! :pound: