Another ER Trip

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well friends guess I'll be taking some breaks for a while. Tues. afternoon had another bus ride to the ER and just got home this evening. I really hate going there because each time it gets harder.. , and harder to stay. Had another catheterization performed and got away this time w/o any new hardware. Also had to deal with 2 new doctors and one of them I never want to deal with again. I really hate doctors that have the God complex and nurses that think they are God's gift to patients.

Biggest peeve is that none listen and they are all knowing.

1st it took the EMT's 3 attempts to get an IV in and it was a small gauge. ER nurses took another 3 tried to get a large bore IV inserted so they could do a CAT scan.. Then the 1st smaller IV blew out and they had to put in another one. This one took them 3 different people and 10 tries to get the replacement IV in. Amateurs!!! Even my wife was getting angry. Then came the endless blood draws. 4 alone while in the ER and then every 4 hrs. while in the ICU. All I can say is that my hands and arms look like I've been beaten with a hammer they are that black'n blue.

Don't know what hurt more the heart attack or the assault by the hospital staff! Saddest part is this wasn't the 1st go and won't be the last and am dreading the next one if this is any indication of what's to come..

Well I hope to check in regularly but don't know how much I'll be contributing for a while.

Kevin, aka bonz_d

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hate to hear ya had a rough go of it

Rest up and check in when you can.

Good thoughts headed your way

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks jb. It was a ruff one. It also gets harder to notify all the family w/o some one getting ticked because they felt left out about what has happened..

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well keep your chin up buddy, you had a hell of a lot more patience than I would have had, there would have been a Dr. or nurse running around with a black eye when I got through with them!

southkogs

Staff member
Enduring the medical services is often more difficult than enduring the medical issue.

Praying for healing and a speedy recovery for you.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sorry to hear that bonz_d, but glad you are out again. Rest up, relax and take care. Good thoughts are coming your way.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well keep your chin up buddy, you had a hell of a lot more patience than I would have had, there would have been a Dr. or nurse running around with a black eye when I got through with them!

Well of course it appeared that we arrived just before shift change and I'm certain there was one nurse that went home that night with a checked ego. Over the past 12 years I've been thru enough of these to not put up with that BS from any, if they don't like it they can send in replacements.

I was taught a lesson long ago from my cardiologist after one of my 1st episodes. Upon my discharge we were talking and I was inquiring about my condition and he plainly stated the truth. "You're all good right now but that doesn't mean that you won't get out to the parking lot and drop dead from another attack". I took that as even he could not predict when the next one will happen but don't live you life in fear of it. His humor was rather cold and dry but I took it as good advice to this day.

Will thank everyone for the good thoughts and well wishes. I know this is going to take a little time to regain my strength and I have some excellent support here at home. Will admit that the 1st night home was a bit ruff and didn't sleep very well.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Keep on keepin' on, Kev. Sounds like you have healthy attitude..... That's a huge victory in itself....:peace:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Really sorry you had to go through all that! Why didn't they get good stick and leave it in for the following blood draws? They know what the procedure is with more scheduled draws. I've been saying for a long time - Doctors, including nurses are like car mechanics, there are good ones and there are bad ones! Wait 'til they start swapping parts. :eek:

Take care, bonz. Check in when you can, buddy.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Sorry to hear about the latest ER episode, but it does sound like you have a positive attitude. And that's very important towards your recovery. Be sure to get all the rest you need and take care of yourself! Best wishes buddy.

aspeck

Staff member
Kevin, hang in there, brother! Will be praying for you. Relax and get your rest, your strength will come back. You have a great attitude, don't lose it. As for the Doc and nursing staff, I am glad that are small town with the "small town" dr and nurse mentality. All the nurses at the local hospital are friends, Dr makes house calls if needed. We might not have all the availability of other places, but they are a 30 minute ambulance drive, or a 10 minute helicopter ride away ... Always remember the doctor and nurses work for you. You are their boss and they can be fired at any time ... that is what my doc always says.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
my health problems no longer seem significant. Thanks for sharing, you're on my list :)

NYBo

Admiral
So sorry for your latest round of woes.

BTW, a good nurse IS God's gift to patients. I hope you have some of them take care of you.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks to all my friends here for the moral support.

Now that I've been home and able to comfortably relax the body is starting to show all those muscles that took a hit and the aches are showing.

Because of the bypass graft in my legs they had to do this thru my arm again and am surprised that this time there is very little bruising and this time they kept me awake thru the whole thing.

Our local hospital has a cardiology dept. but they are not equipped to do catheterizations. For that they ship us up to Milwaukee to the big impersonal hospital.

I just hate going thru this because I've been thru this enough to know just what is going to happen from the time I hit the ER to the time comes for discharge. Very 1st thing is the IV which they have never been able to get started on the 1st try. Then the blood draws. Then the xrays and CAT scan. Of course there is also all the nitro until my BP drops to where I feel half dead. Then the ride to Milwaukee.

It's guaranteed that once you arrive at the ER you are going to be staying at least 2 days. Even if they don't do anything.

This time when I got there the ER Dr. asked me the same question 4 times in a matter of a few minutes and each time I answered him. When he asked the 4th time I really had to stop and keep myself from asking him if he was even listening to me! Trust me when you are in the middle of a heart attack the last thing you want to do is suffer thru stupid inattentive staff and doctors.

Anyways, I want to thank you all for listening through my rant. Wife won't do it anymore, she's already heard it all before. Now she just gives me the LOOK and rolls her eyes.

GA_Boater

We'll listen to ya, bonz. A couple more times anyway. :smile:

We're like the local barkeep, we don't really listen. Just nod every once and a while. :rolleyes:.

Get better! You have boats to work on. :D

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
MOD EDIT - Political commentary not wanted nor needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Hope your recovery goes well, fishing season is near.

The only hospital I want to visit in the SE Wisconsin area is Community Memorial in Menomonee Falls.
Top notch all the way.
great heart dept, nationally recognized doctors.
great staff.
Private room for sitting, sleeping, tv watching, eating, etc., for the family members of patients in ICU.

I know several people that have had bypass and cathaigizmo done there.

Its a bit far to go if you need the ER, but you might consider transferring there next time.

chin up

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
roscoe I haven't been there a bit too far north for us. We always get sent up to St Lukes. Great doctors though they're not very personable. In the past I was going to Aurora Summit in Oconomowoc which is a great hospital. Only 2 problems, one they don't handle emergency cardiac care and two the doctor I've been seeing there semi-retired to New Mexico. Going to miss him tremendously as he's been inside my heart more times than I care to remember.

When I got home the other day I immediately contacted my cardiologist only to find he is out-of-state till Monday but the office person who answered already knew exactly who I was and was just out of the hospital. Next she confirmed my contact info and then had his nurse call me back. I had a call-back in about 15min., she went over my chart and answered some of the many questions I had and went over a little more in detail about the new meds. One of them being a nitro patch that I had concerns about. Basically because I know how my body reacts to nitro which hasn't always been good.

So I'm feeling a bit better tonight and know I'm going to have a hard time sleeping tonight because I've been napping on and off all day. I can also honestly say that this is the first time that I've been through this and have been truly frightened of the outcome.

I'll also openly state here to you all that I can never express the amount of love I have for my wife, w/o her it would truly be much more difficult to go through this. She has been there by my side each and every day for the whole duration every time I've been hospitalized and I trust her with my life. She is one of the strongest woman I know and yes it pains me to watch her watch me when this happens.

GA_Boater

Bonz - You have a good lady at your side. Pull her close and say thanks, hon. It takes two to tango through life.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Bonz - You have a good lady at your side. Pull her close and say thanks, hon. It takes two to tango through life.

Once upon a time I was in the office at work submitting a vacation request and all the bosses were sitting at their desks and trying to give me a hard time about it and one asked what I had planned to do. Well we had been working long hours and 6 days a week for months so I told them I was going to go spend some quality face time with my wife. Then one of them piped up, "why would you want to do that?" So I just replied that "unlike some people in this room I happen to enjoy spending time with my wife". They all shut up.

She is also my favorite fishing partner and yes she can and does out fish me at times.