cooking

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
We had our t-day last night as we are headed to Jamcia at the crack of dawn Thursday morning so she and I had a dressing throw down last night to go with our 12 hour smoked brisket. First time i've ever made my side of the family's version of course with some added joe stuff.

well the pics didn't work...

Last edited by a moderator:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thats what its all about... :)

Yes, that IS a wonderful thing. The Admiral has been away taking care of her parents, so my 18-24 yr old kids and I have been collaborating on dinners. Family time creating and enjoying a meal - good for the soul...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Pick spinach from the garden, saute some onions garlic lemon juice and then wilt down the spinach

Mix goat cheese, caramelized onion salt an pepper

butterfly large loin

smear

Tie up.  Tip, prior to butterflying loin, cut two pieces off the thing to slap on the ends to hold the good stuff in.

Cook

Slice

Plate (i like the stems, wife gets the crowns

eat

forgot to get a pic of the sauce I made with vermouth (instead of wine) and butter and drippings.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looks really really good. But couldn't you have used bungy cords instead of string to tie it up? :facepalm:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Looks really really good. But couldn't you have used bungy cords instead of string to tie it up? :facepalm:

No kidding! Houdini couldn't escape from that truss job! Seriously, though, that looks pretty good!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
pie crust or puff pastry, we prefer the latter.
thin sized zucchini or yellow squash or both
goat cheese
lemon zest
leeks or onions, we prefer the former

big bowl salt your veggies and let drain for an hour or two in the fridge
drain the veggies maybe rinse if you are not a salt person
zest into your goat cheese mix well
spread onto crust not quite to the end, like a pizza
layer the veggie slices, overlapping a bit
bake at 400 until browned edges about 15-25 minutes

the leeks / onions can be added prior to or after cooking depending on how you like them. We do both ways. on the leeks if you are not familiar you need to wash them very well best way is to slice long ways and soak. You will see the dirt and know what to do. One would hope...

size wise this fed two of us as a side with leftovers. It was one small packet of goat cheese and a half of a puff pastry sheet.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've been doing this for about a year now. I have always frozen it but now that I have a pressure canner going that route. Leaves more room for meat in the freezer.....

Save all your bones. Bones of all kinds however best to keep close to the same size so chicken bones and beef rib bones will work but will make the end result more cloudy. I'm not too concerned with cloudy but the one time I did all of one kind it was better. Don't worry if they have been chewed on by people, we'll kill all that stuff.

You do save all your scraps of veggies you have form the chopping block, right??? Carrot and celery butts, garlic tips. Onion roots. That celery bunch you forgot about in the fridge and was a bit too wilted to use in your salad? (you could have cut the butt and put in water for a couple days to re hydrate). I don't use carrots in this, mostly onion, celery and garlic scraps. I'm going to use rosemary next time since I have a giant rosemary bush.

Thaw all bones.
Sheet pan loaded up with bones and veggies all mixed up {thaw veggies if you like}
Put in oven, turn on to 450-500
When your kitchen is full of smoke, turn off oven and remove sheet tray
Biggest stock pot you got, mine is about 4 gallons
Cover with water plus a few inches. I use warm water it takes less time for next step
Turn on high {covered} until boiling and leave for 10 minutes uncover if boils over just make sure it keeps boiling
Turn to low and cover for the next 2-5 days

I like to go for about 5 days with in watching the simmer you only get a bubble every 5-10 seconds. You will prob need to tweak the temp settings a couple times but it does need a true simmer not a boil.

Simmering is a food preparation technique in which foods are cooked in hot liquids kept just below the boiling point of water (which is 100 ?C or 212 ?F at average sea level air pressure), but higher than poaching temperature. To keep a pot simmering, one brings it to a boil and then reduces the heat to a point where the formation of bubbles has almost ceased, typically a water temperature of about 94 ?C (200 ?F) at sea level.

I use a glass lid so I don't have to remove. Two reasons: removing allows heat to escape but if you are using a large enough pot that is not too much of a concern. Removing allows airborne 'stuff' to get in. If doing this correctly just enough pressure from the hot liquid to keep bad guys out then when I do decide to turn it off to cool the reverse pressure seals it off enough to keep bad guys out.

Like I said, I used to freeze now in a jar. Was always a pain to microwave at last minute as I was deciding what to cook for the night. Pretty stoked.

It is pretty stout so you may need to adjust to taste as you use it. Note there is no salt in this so you need to season to whatever recipe you are doing.

Rice - use instead of/mixed wiht water for your steak side dish
Soup - onion soup like you've never had before
Soup - add barley and veggies or rice and veggies or whatever
Soup - see above and add leftover steak/roast
Egg noodles - when you drain add a bit of this to keep moist {good for large families/buffet style}
Ramen - admit it we all have a few twelve cent ramen pack in the cabinet. Throw away the packet and add this after draining. Then cut up a hard boiled egg and add some green onions and maybe celery or celery leaves
French Dip - au jus is ready just find your own bread and meat combo
Pho - Amazon has a great selection of noodles. Try some and google pho recipies
Red sauce - if you are goinng basic on using just hamburger or something wiht a can of somehting for pasta try adding a cup to the sauce. Depth of flavor
Mushrooms - add a splash after you have carmelized your mushrooms, add a bit of butter and dress your steak

and more...

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh and if you freeze ok but if you can it remember it is a pressure can not a hot water bath. Please don't kill yourself.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and my thanksgiving carcass stock ready to go into the garage canned good cabinet.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I love making turkey stock from the carcass. I boil mine down so one quart of stock is reduced to about the size of a 2" cube, then I chuck them in the freezer. Really handy to shave some off a cube if I want to richen up a broth or a sauce, and easy to reconstitute if I want the stock.

Love the color of your stock. Looks very rich! Does it gel up at all?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
no surprisingly didn't. Two days on the stove thought I'd get more gelatin than I did - but maybe the canning process has something to do with that? I get to ~20 psi for an out then let cool naturally so about a 4 hour cook time.

Sometimes I do let cook uncovered for another day to reduce by about half, the label it 'heavy' stock so we know we might have to thin based on the recipe we are using it on.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That fits my experience... stock made from already-cooked carcasses don't seem to have as much collagen to break down. I make beef stock and it often gels quite a bit. I'm trying to get some deer bones to make a venison stock, but I haven't had much luck finding any yet.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The alternate use of my pepper jelly:

Homemade Alfredo sauce, homemade bread, a pounded thin ribeye (fat trimmed) in cracker crumbs with the jelly sauce, steamed asparagus.

Bread:

http://www.lifeasastrawberry.com/easy-crusty-french-bread/

Make sure you watch the short video it helps. This is a eat same or next day kinda bread so be ready to carb out but also makes killer French toast as it soaks a lot of the egg in. AC will be gone for a long weekend and I?m planning some experimentation on smaller loaf portions ? I?ll let you know if they work. There are versions of this that only take a few hours but this is way better. FYI I?ve left ?perking? for up to 48 hours room temp and that plus another 48 in the fridge. All works. My pizza dough is similar approach; long fermentation.