cooking

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I do most all the cooking at our house and I got to be home alone last night so I made a dish that AC doesnt care much for shes not a clam person. Forgot how much I like it since I don't get to eat it often. Easy to make, takes about 20 minutes. Learned it years ago in the 90s from Tony Danza when he was on Regis and Cathy Lee show. Feeds two with maybe a snack for lunch. I just had my snack for lunch..

Angel hair or thin spaghetti
4-5 Roma tomatoes
Small can chopped clams
2-10 garlic cloves depending who you want to offend tomorrow
Bag of baby spinach
White wine, dry or I use vermouth
Good crusty bread

1. Chop garlic to your liking, I like a large mince
2. Saut garlic in equal amounts olive oil and butter with a pinch of salt
3. Chop up romas
4. As soon as the garlic starts browning, add tomatoes with more salt and pepper
5. Cook a few minutes until tomatoes start to show evidence of cooking
6. Add juice from the clams
7. Add a couple to a few handfuls of spinach
8. Cover and cook a few minutes
9. When spinach is cooked down, uncover and stir a few times reducing liquid a bit
10. Add clams
11. Add splash or four of wine / vermouth depending how much you want and how much liquid you want. I add about cup.
12. Cook uncovered a few minutes
13. Add a few pats of butter and remove from heat
14. Stir until butter is melted
15. By now you should have cooked the pasta. If you need instructions on how to do that, quit reading and order in Chinese or a pizza
16. Eat

Last edited by a moderator:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
forgot to add, pour a glass of the wine or make a martini with the vermouth to compliment.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
That's funny! I remember that very show and making that dish, only I didn't have clams handy so I used chicken. Not nearly as good I bet. I'll have to try it again the way God intended. I've cooked for many years, some of them in restaurant kitchens, and have come to prefer the simple dishes with vibrant flavors that are easily identified. Thanks for the reminder!

lncoop

Vice Admiral
wow you must be old....

As far as pics, I didn't have any parsley to make it pretty so I just ate it.

Ha! I am, Joe. I am. I feel like it anyway. However, at 44 I'm but a babe in the woods. I have a friend in his upper seventies who river trips with me sometimes. He's falling apart at the seams and fusses at me whenever I say I'm old.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW redneck Joe, that is half a century man. :eek:

I think I still remember when I hit 50... :noidea:

FlaCowboy

Ensign
I'm surprised you're still able to stand long enough to cook, you geezer.

LOL...I never thought I would make it to see a dirty thirty...then I never thought I would see a sporty fourty...passed that one too...now I am half past a nifty fifty...if I can just remember what comes next...:confused:

aspeck

Staff member
How did a cooking thread get hijacked to age? Guess at the age a lot of us are, we have to gum our food instead of chewing and that takes the fun out of eating, so all that is left is cooking?!?!:eek:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ok back on topic. Going to seattle next month for a weekend with dad and think I'll try with some fresh oysters and cream at the end instead of butter.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Here's dessert. Recipe is from my professional Pastry Chef daughter.

Had a pic on photobucket but it seems to have disappeared. :rolleyes: I may have a backup on an old hard drive and will check into that later.

Peaches with Simple Shortcake & Ice Cream

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar (or Splenda)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled salted butter, diced
1/2 cup cream (I used fat-free half and half)
1 15 oz. can of sliced peaches in light syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
Sliced almonds

Shortcakes
Put flour, baking powder and sugar into a large bowl. Cut in cold butter with a fork or fingers. Stir in milk with a wooden spoon until a solid dough forms. Shape the dough into a log and cut into 6 or 8 pieces as desired. Brush a little cream and sugar on top of the pieces before baking to get a better golden brown crust.

Place shortcakes onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately twenty minutes until done.

Peaches
Separate syrup from peaches and pour syrup into a small saucepan. Reduce syrup by half over medium high heat; add ? teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon light brown sugar. When syrup is reduced, cover pan and set aside.

Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat; add a little butter until well melted and starting to brown. Put peaches into the saucepan. Saut? peaches until softened, then stir in ? teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar and reduce heat to low. Once peaches and butter are well melded, cover pan and set aside.

Serving
Place one or two shortcakes onto a small dessert plate. Add a portion of peaches on one side of the cakes. Pour some syrup over the peaches and shortcake. Add some ice cream (vanilla, peach or cinnamon) on the other side. Add a dollop of whipped cream in the center and then add a few sliced almonds. Lightly sprinkle cinnamon over entire dessert and serve.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Made this last night. Had fresh strawberries band cream for desert.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Last week I got a wild hair and decided to make an orange glazed duck with baby red potatoes. It was faboo! The only thing I don't like is getting together 1.5 tbs. of orange zest for my glaze. LOL

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Last week I got a wild hair and decided to make an orange glazed duck with baby red potatoes. It was faboo! The only thing I don't like is getting together 1.5 tbs. of orange zest for my glaze. LOL
Should only be one orange?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I haven't made this in many years, but this was our Saturday breakfast when we lived on Lake Oswego when I was growing up. Dad would make it and then we'd spend the day skiing. Of course, at that time of my life I didn't partake of the Bloody Marys...

So tomorrow, I'm making his recipe and home made tortillas to go with it. BTW the video at the end is my dad.

Huevos Rancheros For Two People

Can of refried beans

2 10 oz cans of:

Las_Palmas_Red_Chile_Sauce_28_oz1.png

If you can’t get this stuff – I had to buy it on line – ask Ana what she would substitute.

Cut two jalapenos in half and cut out the seeds and guts and cut into thin crescents.

Slice up a similar volume of shallots and make them similar in size and shape to the jalapeno crescents.

Use a saucepan big enough to handle the chile colorado and put some olive oil in the bottom.

Put the peppers and shallots in the pan and stir them into the olive oil with a wooden spoon.

Put a lid on the pan (glass is best so you can see what’s going on in there) and put the element on high.

Let it just get a little steamy hot – a minute or two on high – and turn down to low.

Let that go for a couple of minutes and then put on simmer if you have that setting.

The idea is to get the peppers and shallots a little more than par cooked without caramelizing or burning them.

The method I just described is what I do; you figure out how you want to do it.

When the stuff is ready as described above add the sauce and bring to a little bit of a boil.

Then turn down to some low heat that will (no lid) drive off about a third of the water.

The idea is to get the sauce on towards thick; you pick the degree of thickness which dictates how long you simmer to drive off the water.

While all that is going on I add some cumin and some chipotle powder – you decide how much.

The drive off the water phase of the sauce takes about half an hour the way I do it, if you have the right heat.

While that is going on grate enough Tillamook Jack Cheese to provide a generous cover to the sauce that is going to be on the flour tortillas
– one on each plate – and set it somewhere that the cat can’t get it.

Heat up some kind of fry pan so you can twirl the tortillas several times on both sides to get them ready for the beans, sauce and cheese to be put on.

Heat the oven to 425

Put two plates in while the oven is heating so they are really hot when you put the tortillas and stuff on them.

About ten minutes before you think you are going to do the plating of the tortillas etc. put the beans in something and maybe cover them
– I use a paper towel – so they don’t splatter all over the inside of the microwave. Use setting of 2 for nine minutes (I know; you can do it a lot faster, but trust me; my way turns out a better bean).

Twirl the tortillas, put them on the heated plates and put on the beans, sauce and cheese and put in the 425 pre-heated oven.

My test for when to take them out is when the edges of the tortillas start to get brown. By then the cheese has gotten beyond just melted which is what you want.

Previously you should have melted enough butter at low heat in a fry pan big enough to fry four eggs. You don’t want them ready until the other stuff has come out of the oven. It is so hot that it won’t cool down much while you are doing the eggs. And that allows you to do perfect eggs. Perfect eggs are pink on the yokes. You get that by covering them at low heat and letting them fry/steam in the butter.

I guess that’s about it. Put the eggs on top of the cheese and have a Bloody Mary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEjBr631-54

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, this afternoon I ran across the pix from the recipe I showed in Post #14. Finally. But nowadays I'm not allowed to have such a creation! :lol:

shortcake.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
BWR, that looks good enough to eat !
RJ , I enjoyed the video of your dad ... I have never tried a B/M before ... I may have to give it a try . ;)
I don,t do much of the cooking down here .. I leave that up the professionals ,aka the Admiral ...
So the other day she went out of town and left me and my son to fend for ourselves for a a few days ..So one evening that my son didn,t have to work he took it upon himself to make us dinner ... I had to text a picture to the Admiral just to let her know we weren't withering away from malnutrition ...

I never knew my son could cook like this .... The home made hash browns were awesome light and crispy on the outside . Along with the steak he made a teriyaki
style steak .. Good quality time with my son ... Something we don't get to do very often . A few brews and we had the control of the remote instead of the Admiral ..:cool: