Second Surgery

Tyme2fish

Commander
Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. I called the hospital P.A.T. (pre anesthesia testing) because my second surgery is one week from this morning. The letter states to call them one week prior to surgery.
Well, the hospital doesn't know a thing about it, even though I've got a letter stating time and date of surgery.
They suggested I call the surgeon. I did. Talked to the machine and left a message.
Ugh, only thing worse than surgery and recovery is dealing with the bureaucrats.
mad.png

No sooner than I called the surgeon, the hospital called me back.

Turns out I'm scheduled for the "open heart surgery suite" which they failed to look at. Good news is they found my surgery schedule. Bad part is I don't know what the hell this open heart deal is all about.
eek.png
eek.png

I went on to the hospital to have my blood work done. The first bureaucrat read off that I'd need an EKG,chest X-Ray, and blood work. Uh, I don't think so. Why the EKG and X-ray if I'd had those only 39 days prior.
Well lo and behold, I didn't need those tests as the previous tests were within normal guidelines and are good for six months. If I hadn't spoken up, they'd have performed those unneeded and expensive procedures.
I've never had a problem with the actual care givers and attendants. They have all been great. It's just the bureaucratic staff that I have to grit my teeth while dealing with them.
Got my blood drawn and that was all that was needed. Five minutes to draw blood and 70 minutes of waiting on the paper shufflers.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Tyme, I totally understand your situation. And if it is any consolation, those same things go on around where I live as well. The folks working the phones are instructed to go by a certain protocol when answering folks on the phone. And everybody down the line does the same as well. So it is not unusual to see the routine labs and X-Rays and EKGs. They do that to everybody unless you speak up. As for the Open Heart situation, they probably do such procedures in the Heart Surgery rooms and therefore call it that. Not that you are having that type surgery. So try to calm down and everything will be just fine. Prayers are still coming your way. Have a great day. :thumb:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ugh, only thing worse than surgery and recovery is dealing with the bureaucrats.
mad.png
I thought jokes singling out specific groups.... lol Know how you feel, dealing with those people makes me want to call the suicide hotline!! :lol: or 911 to tell 'em about a homicide that's fixin to happen!! hahahahaaaaaaaa un-sympathizers lol Take it with a grain of salt my foot; need a salt mine for their nonsense.

Or... I could just say the Serenity Prayer... hmmmmmm... what a concept

Tyme2fish

Commander
With the HIPPA act and others, all medical records are now computerized. The hospital has all my records. Wouldn't it be a little easier and faster to actually read my records than to interrogate me again as to my medications,etc. Yeah, I know they are only following the scripted protocol and attempting to be thorough but the result of computerization has only lead to more bureaucracy.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
With the HIPPA act and others, all medical records are now computerized. The hospital has all my records. Wouldn't it be a little easier and faster to actually read my records than to interrogate me again as to my medications,etc. Yeah, I know they are only following the scripted protocol and attempting to be thorough but the result of computerization has only lead to more bureaucracy.

Tyme, Recently my wife had a heart attack (nothing major but a heart attack all the same), and if we gave the doctors and nurses a list of her prescriptions once, we did it a hundred times. And that is in the exact same hospital as well. Seems all that "Computerizing" mumbo jumbo is just that! So we now carry a list of everything we both take in our wallets and pocketbooks. And my wife even carries copies of her's and just hand them a copy when requested. The time, money, and personnel wasted for redundant paperwork is amazing to say the least. And then we all wonder why health costs are so high and growing. JMHO!

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Here are some reasons for them to build in so much redundancy. Sometimes some medications have serious reactions with other medications. You could be seeing multiple healthcare professionals that may not communicate with each other. You may have seen another medical professional between your visits and received some additional medication. You may have forgotten something in the past and just remembered it this time.

I know this bureaucratic overload is burdensome and time consuming but we brought it upon ourselves by litigation. Actions have consequences so the medical community has reacted and will further react if we keep letting them know our displeasure. If we keep on paying their added costs without enough protesting then they will just continue doing the same and we'll pay for it.

Just my observations and opinions.

By the way, good luck and hang in there. These operations are much safer now than they were only a few years ago. You'll be in recovery before you know it.

We'll still be here for you.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Feel your pain myself. Our local hospital has a cardiology dept. but they are not equipped to do catheterization so each time I've been taken in to the ER the procedure is to stabilize and ship. Then it's an hr. ride to one of 2 other hospitals that are equipped to do it. In the past 12 years I've been through 3 bypass surgeries, 1 for an aneurism and a gall bladder surgery. Not to mention all of the catheterizations which have resulted in 10 stents.

Best wishes on your procedure coming up.

Tyme2fish

Commander
Not to mention all of the catheterizations which have resulted in 10 stents.

Best wishes on your procedure coming up.

Dang, you're internal plumbing sounds as bad or worse than mine. Hope all is well with you now.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Dang, you're internal plumbing sounds as bad or worse than mine. Hope all is well with you now.

Oh Tyme, you wouldn't believe how many stints I have heard folks talk about in them. My wife has one and not for the usual build up in her arteries either. She had her heart attack because of how her heart developed. Seem part of the heart muscle was squeezing off a secondary artery that triggered her heart attack because it allowed a blood clot to form at that choked off artery. So they installed a stint to stop the heart muscle from closing that artery every time it pumped. So she is all clear now without any blockages. But I have friends with 14 or more stints in them. Heck even our doctor has them. So you'll be back to norm in no time. I know it is a lot easier to say not to worry, but seriously, don't worry. It will all be okay! :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Catheterizations are an everyday practice these days and many times only require a one night stay. I've had 8 so far. 4 were they placed stents 4 were they didn't and one of those was because of a doctor that I'd never seen before and wouldn't listen when I told him that he couldn't go thru my groin because of the grafts yet he insisted that it wouldn't be a problem. Had to have a different doctor do it again 2 days later because he wouldn't listen.

Most of these procedures are done going thru the groin because that is where the largest artery is. Because of my bypass and the artificial graft I can now only have it done radially which goes thru the wrist. Afterwards I always experience heavy bruising up and down whichever arm they use.

Surgery is never fun but I am grateful that the Dr's have the skill and ability to do it.

Tyme2fish

Commander
Before my first aneurysm repair I was required to have a heart cath to determine my heart health. The stress test had indicated I might have a problem. Since I knew they were going to perform the open femoral artery repair in my groin, I inquired if the doc could go through my wrist to perform the heart cath. Seems like very few docs in this area are qualified to perform this type of procedure but my Doc was one of them. I was released from the hospital that same day, never even spent the night nor was I put under general anesthesia.