Building the Burger!

• Ketchup and mustard on top bun, mayo and relish lower bun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mayo and relish top bun, ketchup and mustard lower bun

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Ok so winter brings out some of the weirder arguments like building a burger, does the top of your mouth taste things different then the bottom of your mouth (pallet?)
So what should go where and why?

bassman284

Commander
Another option: ketchup on top, mustard, onion and relish on the bottom. I don't use mayo. I think that's more of a Canadian thing. I always think of the movie The Whole Nine Yards where Bruce Willis is a hitman living in Canada and he's going crazy trying to get them to bring him a burger with no mayo.

Actually I do like a Whopper now and then so I guess I'm not totally against mayo on a burger. I ordered one once without mayo and it didn't seem to work as well so now I go with the flow.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Geeeze the list was long

Mayo or Miracle whip
purple, white or yellow onions
Raw or fried onions
What kind of cheese

And I did not to get into what else you can put on a burger like bacon, ham, egg, guacamole ETC ETC

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I usually tell the fast food places NO mayo ... They always put too much and it gets quite messy ... Mayo is ok but just a little top and bottom bun ... The rest really don't matter ... Gunna get all chewed up in the process ... ;)

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I should have added to the poll---Pickles--inside burger or on the side?

And for that matter what kind???

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
seasoned angus beef, proprietary blend of seasonings over a wood fire. topped off with Wisconsin Cheddar, baccon, and sauteed onions and mushrooms in my proprietary mushroom sauce. a side of seasoned steak fries, a cold beer, and the family going nom nom nom nom

can you tell what we had for dinner?

BTW, no condiments needed, although I used jalepeno catchup for the fries.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I also have a killer chili recipe for chili burgers.

RGrew176

Commander
For me, mushrooms on the burger is all I need. If mushrooms are not available then I like ketchup and light onions but mushrooms make the burger for me.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Mushroom and swiss....... Gee Robby, it's a little early for these conversations, isn't it????? :laugh:

64osby

Admiral
Medium Rare, Pepperjack cheese, slice of sweet onion, romaine lettuce, spicy brown mustard. Bacon sometimes. Don't care how it is stacked. Pepperoncini's and kettle cooked chips on the side.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Start with the meat, you mix it with chopped onions and A-1 peppercorn, cook til medium. Then it is bottom bun, mayo, meat, cheese, tomato, pickles, iceberg lettuce, mustard top bun. Serve with a side of onion rings, hand battered and a cold beverage of your choice. The meat is best when cooked over a mesquite fire.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I started adding chips on my burgers and now my daughter is hooked. BBQ or spicy chips add a distinctive flavor. They're not on the side, in the burger below the top bun.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Mushroom and swiss....... Gee Robby, it's a little early for these conversations, isn't it????? :laugh:
You would think.
But NO -Baahahaha

Inversion up top, living in a ***** frost/fogged in wonderland for the last week and wife stated this conversation- just thought I would pass it on just cause.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I enjoy burgers in all kinds of different ways - so, I don't have a single building style on 'em.

I kinda' miss "loose burgers" back in Detroit (no good Coney Island places here in TN). But probably my favorite burger is made with my great grandmother's Swedish meatball recipe, a mild cheddar cheese, dijon mustard, light ketchup (just a little spice) with dill pickle.

RGrew176

Commander
Medium Rare, Pepperjack cheese, slice of sweet onion, romaine lettuce, spicy brown mustard. Bacon sometimes. Don't care how it is stacked. Pepperoncini's and kettle cooked chips on the side.

Bacon is great too.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't eat Mayo, but I do use it when I toast the bun, I do like a touch of thousand island dressing on my burger.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
It's just not a great burger unless it's on a buttered and lightly toasted Kaiser Roll. Meat has to be seared over a hot fire and just barely pink in the middle. Grilled onions and fine Wisconsin Cheddar cheese. No other ingredients needed.

Now answer me this. If I put 3 Porterhouse steaks in front of each of you, 1 from an Angus, 1 from a Herford and 1 from a Short horn who can honestly say they could tell which one was which?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It's just not a great burger unless it's on a buttered and lightly toasted Kaiser Roll. Meat has to be seared over a hot fire and just barely pink in the middle. Grilled onions and fine Wisconsin Cheddar cheese. No other ingredients needed.

Now answer me this. If I put 3 Porterhouse steaks in front of each of you, 1 from an Angus, 1 from a Herford and 1 from a Short horn who can honestly say they could tell which one was which?

Answer: I honestly couldn't, but I would try my best to eat all three. :facepalm:

southkogs

Staff member
It's just not a great burger unless it's on a buttered and lightly toasted Kaiser Roll ...
They just moved Culvers into Tennessee a couple of years ago ... I had totally forgotten about buttered and toasted buns until they were back. Now that place is like a five star restaurant to me :)

... though, there's a specialty place here in town that uses pretzel buns. AMAZING!

I probably couldn't tell the difference between cows (in terms of source), but I am surprised how different the meat is (sometimes) when I have a cow that's been free range and grass fed. There can be a significant taste difference.