that's not possible

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
but maybe this is.... please excuse me as I feel the need to preface this some; this isn't about me. Although the world does not revolve around me, sometimes my little world does!!! lol I can be guilty of getting all caught up in the details of my life; it's easy to do...

I had the good fortune of helping a friend today. And, once again, I am reminded that quite possibly everyone is fighting some kind of battle. Tis the season to be jolly is not right around the corner. It is here right now, today...

and am also reminded that "Jr T" is my nickname and "today" is my favorite holiday. We never know what others are truly going through, and not just this season; be helpful when you can

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say I am really surrounded with neighbors that are not in the best of health. In fact my neighbor that lived across the street form me, died last week from cancer. So his wife is now all alone in their fairly large home. Of course I offered any help she may need. And my neighbor to the one side of me, is presently in the VA hospital with only one remaining lung. The other one had cancer and was removed. He is going down hill now and I have been doing everything for them around their house and vehicles as well. The neighbor to the diagonal side of me, is presently making trips to an Atlanta hospital monthly for cancer issues as well. So I do know about helping others. It does take some time, but one day I will be there myself. JMHO!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I guess that makes you human.:happy:

thanks!! I was beginning to wonder :dance: that's cause for celebration!! But really, living alone and trying to handle all I'm faced with, it's very easy to forget other people are faced with stuff too. It's easy to be consumed and suddenly, it becomes all about me... and that isn't a good place

Yesterday, I was a day late and dollars short when I read that thread about "the homeless". Been there done that, what's next... Just reading that thread allowed me to refocus and recall those times. And caused me to remember the year spent when I wasn't homeless, but worked as a shelter supervisor/counselor.

One on one, you come to understand that people have issues, grave issues that are not just physical. I think "encouragement" is the only thing we really possess to give to another

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well....I don't do holidays.....no friends..no family. All gone. Also homeless..living in my motorhome in Minnesota winters is getting rough.Everything I own is in storage units . Not exactly what I had planned for after retirement. So pardon me if I don't Ho Ho Ho with everyone else this time of year. Good health to you all.....

RGrew176

Commander
Well....I don't do holidays.....no friends..no family. All gone. Also homeless..living in my motorhome in Minnesota winters is getting rough.Everything I own is in storage units . Not exactly what I had planned for after retirement. So pardon me if I don't Ho Ho Ho with everyone else this time of year. Good health to you all.....

If you have your health, enough money to live on and food in your stomach you are doing OK and better than many people in other parts of the world.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
yes I do know what that's like.... Stuff in storage and hit the road... for four years, lived/worked out of a slide in camper. It was old and ratty looking outside (a '65 I fixed up; big shower stall, 1,200btu heat pump, 10gal hot water, one of those big plastic utility sinks to do laundry in, wind/solar powered clothes drier :lol:), 20" flat screen up in the canopy to watch TV in bed!! Surround sound provided by my alarm clock radio!!!

Floor space? lol 2' wide and the length of a truck bed, pfffffft! at least there wasn't much to clean! But it was packed with everything I needed for work etc. Spent the winter of '08/'09 in Hartley IA, wrapped it in 6ml to block wind... fun times... grilled many a night in minus temps.

From '92 until '04, moved 30+ times just trying to stay off the street. I can't say "no help", but will say minimal help from family or friends; yet, that wouldn't be accurate either... "if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand..." - I'm done with 'em, and getting on with my life.
Gene Hackman says to English Bob, "if I ever see you again, I'll just start shooting and figure it's self-defense". lmbo!!! Would never really shoot anyone except in fear of life, but hopefully you catch my meaning.

Been homeless by definition - no permanent address - maybe since I was 18?
I'm a survivor... yet, have been the butt of many a joke by family etc; you can NOT humiliate someone that's truly humble. If you want self-esteem, you must do esteemable things. It does not matter what your outside circumstances are; they do not define you. How you conduct yourself does.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
^^^^^ that might need some explaining, or maybe not!! lol might have sounded harsh to some; and I'm not that way - am way over it all....