OOPS

Twidget

Commander
I have a coworker that has been planning to leave the company for a while, but is waiting for the holidays to get his Christmas bonus first.

Yesterday, he was on a corporate wide conference call for his department. Someone entered his office, so he hit the mute button on his phone. He then had a fairly in depth conversation with the person about how he is leaving and already has a job lined up, dislikes the way the company is going and is just waiting for his bonus. After his friend left, he got back on the phone and it was totally quiet. The head of the department (corporate wide) asked if he was back, he said yes sir. He was then told everyone on the conference call heard him and he should just hang up. Ouch!

I bumped into a few people from his department throughout the day, they were laughing their butts off.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
One thing knowledgeable folks learn early on, you never ever burn bridges ever! He could be looking for a new job without bonuses or employment. He would if I own the company and got wind of it! JMHO!

aspeck

Staff member
Not so well played ... poor judgement on his part to be talking about that on company time ... it came back to bit him. Hope the job he has lined up will take him before the holidays ...:facepalm:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Speaking of burning bridges; this is not what I intended, but actually happened. Didn't give a two week notice because over the past few months, several mechanics had been fired or let go after giving their notice. I didn't share their grievances, was just leaving my field to take a job making 1/3 the money and no benefits.

Everyone knew because I told them individually or they had heard through the grapevine - including my boss, though he never said. At the time, I was "the " welder/fitter etc lol for a string of heavy equipment shops. The day before my last day, this was my task - to straighten the fender/belly pan of a John Deere loader. Nothing complicated... heat and beat.

Under the engine, I could see a small twig and some debris - not much and it would have taken a couple hours to get them out. They didn't allow for that kind of time for the job... somebody paid for it. A mechanic was underneath with a 16lb sledge hammer while I heated with a rosebud. Apparently, as he hit it with the sledge, some sparks jumped over and caught some dry leaves.

There wasn't much to fuel a fire, but it was getting big enough to possibly burn a few wires. Hadn't hit the panic button yet, but when I grabbed the fire extinguisher in in the welding bay, saw it was empty - and not from my use. Went to grab the water hose and IT was gone!!! Then I saw a mop bucket with dirty water - grabbed that and proceeded to dump it on a fire that had almost burnt out.

Expected those little flames to go out; imagine my surprise when they grew... and grew... and grew!! Now I'm seeing flames dripping from the belly pan; in nothing flat, the entire ten equipment sized bays are so thick with smoke, you cannot see. Smoke filled the offices and the adjoining new shop which was even larger.

The next thing I knew, the Raleigh and Garner police, ambulances, fire trucks, and a news crew had arrived - not to mention the rubberneckers!!!
Turns out, someone had been mopping the floor with straight varsol :facepalm:
that was 1999, what a way to end the millennium.... I quit the next day and that had nothing to do with this unintentional event

tpenfield

Staff member
and the moral of the story is . . . never trust the mute button on your phone :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
and the moral of the story is . . . never trust the mute button on your phone :)

The moral is don't talk about your job in the office and use the hold button if you don't want to be overheard dissing your employer.

Twidget

Commander
Yep, the head honcho for his department arrived Friday Morning and told him to hit the road.