I've got an addiction

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Ok so my boat has been winterized for about a month now and I still can't seem to stay away from the water I'm currently diving 2 to 3 times a week making up for lost time this summer as most of you know and to be honest I don't see myself hanging up my fins anytime soon I've got an addiction to water now if only I could find a local job that pays me to do these 2 things I love

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What about seeing if the local golf course will hire you to retrieve golf balls fro their ponds? Also post an add saying you will retrieve items dropped over board for folks. :noidea:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
To do any work that pays you need a commercial divers certification and the cost of that is not worth the pay because everyone wants things done for next to nothing mind you I will go retrieve things lost for a "friend" the only thing worthwhile is clearing the main water intakes that the city uses for purification and that is done once a year during the winter

southkogs

Staff member
... Lake Ontario could use some good "sea monster" sightings. A little fiberglass work, a little rubber, some spray paint and a full SCUBA tank ... :D

Buoybill

Cadet
A Cuddy, Houseboat, jet ski's and kayaks. Retired and working PT at a marina. Winter is coming and I have the shakes. Need a support group Boaters anonymous.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A Cuddy, Houseboat, jet ski's and kayaks. Retired and working PT at a marina. Winter is coming and I have the shakes. Need a support group Boaters anonymous.

what would y'all be praying for? a slip? lol

hosteter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This are rare jobs that a diver is nedded.hope you will find anything that makes you happy.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
... Lake Ontario could use some good "sea monster" sightings. A little fiberglass work, a little rubber, some spray paint and a full SCUBA tank ... :D

Now there IS a great idea. LRR, there you go for a huge job. I mean a few fuzzy photos of a new mysterious monster and that would really kick things off. :thumb:

scipper77

Commander
Underwater construction, Bridge inspections. There are a few real jobs out there that require divers. If you have the stomach for it the police use divers to look for bodies when people drown.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Yes but not very often round here not enough to make a living and I've had my fair share of deaths in the water

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
RayRay,

Like you said, you need a commercial dive cert, i utilize divers once to twice a week at the rate of $2200 USD a callout. They dive to ensure my boats are on blocks before we raise the dock. Every boat coming on dock is checked by divers. Is there anything like that you are interested in and want to do?

littlerayray

Lieutenant
RayRay,

Like you said, you need a commercial dive cert, i utilize divers once to twice a week at the rate of $2200 USD a callout. They dive to ensure my boats are on blocks before we raise the dock. Every boat coming on dock is checked by divers. Is there anything like that you are interested in and want to do?

How often are they called out once a week commercial diver certification is also something that needs to be kept up yearly physicals and recertification and I haven't heard of anyone using blocks underwater I was also thinking of starting an in water hull cleaning business

littlerayray

Lieutenant
lettuce know how that works out!!
The monster thing might be the way to go?

[MOD EDIT] That's not cool man check my thread I started this summer called dealing with ptsd

Last edited by a moderator:

RGrew176

Commander
The addiction is called boating for many of us. My boat is up on the hard. Last Wednesday I loaded my portable Honda generator in the trunk of my car and headed to the boat. I fired up the generator and turned on my electric heater on the boat and spend about an hour aboard getting her cleaned out of stuff that would freeze during the winter. It was nice and toasty in the salon with the heat on. I plan to go again Saturday for a bit. Its hard to stay away. I hope to shrinkwrap next week. I could have them put a door in the shrinkwrap and go and spend some time onboard during the winter but I think I will just let them wrap her up for spring.