Montreal to dump 2.1 bil gal raw sewage into st lawrence river . . .

thumpar

Admiral
I am not a tree hugger are anything but that is just outrageous. Why can't they come up with a better way to do the upgrades?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I like the warning that whatever goes down the toilet will end up in the river. Well, duh.

This was not a well thought out operation!

Expidia

Commander
I think the flow of the river is it starts at the head waters on western lake ontario and flows north east out towards the atlantic. I don't think all that crap (get it) will sully up the thousand islands area as I think it will flow north east of montreal by quebec and out to the mouth of the st lawrence basin in the atlantic!

http://www.great-lakes.net/teach/cha...100_stLaw.html

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
As a Department of Environmental Protection officer reminded me on day, "The friend of pollution is dilution." I would hope they have a filtration system in place that will screen out the plastics and other non-biodegradables, so I am sure in the long run this will have no discernible impact on the river. However, the precedents that it sets is troubling. If one city can do it, why not several smaller towns, after all, it is a cheaper alternative for reclaiming wastes. But if everyone does it, then it becomes too much to dilute, and we have a situation.

So, the immediate idea, although it makes the skin crawl, is not really a hazard to the river, estuary, or the wildlife. It is the psychological damage, and the precedents it sets that is the real issue. Maybe a more costly track should have been taken ...

Expidia

Commander
Ya, I was thinking the same thing . . . just gives these towns or cities along the waterways that its ok every now and then to dump a billion gallons of raw sewage into the waterway.

When I moved to the Albany area 42 years ago some cities and towns were still dumping raw sewage from homes, factories and hospital's waste directly into the Hudson and Mohawk rivers!

You would think Montreal would be smarter than that! You would think their citizens would revolt against it. I wonder how many towns along the way are still pulling drinking water from the st lawrence?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We actually run into this quite often in the area of Montana I live in, there is still quite a bit of raw sewage dumped into our blue ribbon trout streams with very little effect, what really affects our waters around here is the run off from agriculture the fertilizers and such have a devastating effect on the water, but the raw natural sewage does not seem to affect things much. I remember when I was growing up, my old great grandfather was always saying you can pee in the creek, just go a hundred feet downstream the water is fine to drink. He may have been telling the truth cause I can tell you after being all over the world, some of the water I have drank was not the best looking stuff but it has never made me sick.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Yes the raw sewage will flow to the Atlantic and will as the river flows to the Atlantic it's a shame bUT at least quebec is keeping their crap from ruining the water for Ontario sorry newbrunswick sh*t rolls downhill at least the muscles will filter most of it