About the time of year for Boomyal's Brine.......

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
So here it is.I have used this recipe many times as is and with my own variations, it never disappoints. :thumb::thumb:
joyous.png
joyous.png

1 1/2 cups, Kosher salt*
**See notes below regarding amount of salt and types of salt
1 1/4 cups, brown sugar
10 whole cloves
3 teaspoons, black peppercorns
1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts) apple juice or cider (non-alcoholic)
the peel from one orange or one tangerine (colored part only - not white pith)
optional: 3 teaspoons, dried thyme and/or 3 teaspoons, dried sage

Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pot, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes (partly covered). Allow brine to cool completely. Rinse turkey under cool running water, inside and out (remove giblets from body cavity). Pat turkey dry with paper towels, then immerse turkey in cooled brine.* Turkey should be completely submerged in liquid (place a plate on top of the bird if necessary to keep it covered with the liquid). Cover the pot and refrigerate for 8-10 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove turkey, rinse, pat dry, and roast as usual.

*Be sure the container used for brining turkey is non-reactive: use enamel, glass or crockery or stainless steel - never cast iron or aluminum. The pot should be just large enough to contain the turkey (so the brine will be sufficient to cover the bird).

*TYPES OF SALT: Kosher salt is the ONLY type of salt to be used in making brine (it is sweeter and more pure than ordinary table salt). Kosher salt is available in two varieties. The most common is flaked salt (example: Morton Kosher Salt) which has been pressed into flakes by rollers. The other type is a four-sided crystal (example: Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt). The crystal-shaped salt measures differently because of its shape. Use about 25% (one quarter) MORE crystal salt than flaked salt when measuring for brine or other recipes. The formula is: 1 tablespoon of regular table salt is equivalent to 1 ? tablespoons flaked kosher salt, or 2 tablespoons, diamond crystal kosher salt.

** NOTE REGARDING THE AMOUNT OF SALT IN BRINE: A milder brine may be made, which may have a less flavorful result – but if salt is a concern (the entire turkey will absorb only 10-15% of the brine) the amount of salt may be reduced. For the desired chemical effect to take place, however, the proportions cannot be less than 2/3 to 1 cup of salt per gallon (4 quarts) of water or other liquid.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Can't believe it's almost Turkey Day again. Seems like only yesterday Art was shaming me for not using Boom's brine. Art, I hereby promise this year I WILL use Boom's brine when preparing the bird for smoking.:sorry:

aspeck

Staff member
LOL! when I saw the dead bird recipes thread I was going to post this ... but yesterday was a viewing and this morning I went to the deer stand (archery), then visited with Mom (almost got 8 young birds on the way ... they would not get off the road ... couldn't decide if I wanted to hit them with the Yukon or with arrows, but wife kept reminding me we were in city limits and my actions might not be appreciated).

Going to prep 2 birds this year ... brine and smoke one and oven roast the other. YUM!

JRJ

Commander
I count Boomyal as a friend, but haven't tried his brine. I do like primerib however. [h=1][/h]

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I count Boomyal as a friend, but haven't tried his brine. I do like primerib however. [h=1][/h]

Never heard of brining prime rib, buy why not? LOL

Boomyal - You better get in here and check the recipe posted by L-T for accuracy. :cool::D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Never heard of brining prime rib, buy why not? LOL

Boomyal - You better get in here and check the recipe posted by L-T for accuracy. :cool::D

Well just in case I don't get around to checking it out, here is my long appreciated version and I stick by it. :p
BRINE: ULTIMATE BRINE FOR TURKEY

1 1/2 cups, Kosher salt**
**See notes below regarding amount of salt and types of salt
1 1/4 cups, brown sugar
10 whole cloves
3 teaspoons, black peppercorns
1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts) apple juice or cider (non-alcoholic)
the peel from one orange or one tangerine (colored part only - not white pith)
optional: 3 teaspoons, dried thyme and/or 3 teaspoons, dried sage

Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pot, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes (partly covered). Allow brine to cool completely.
Rinse turkey under cool running water, inside and out (remove giblets from body cavity). Pat turkey dry with paper towels, then immerse turkey in cooled brine.* Turkey should be completely submerged in liquid (place a plate on top of the bird if necessary to keep it covered with the liquid).
Cover the pot and refrigerate for 8-10 hours or up to 48 hours. Remove turkey, rinse, pat dry, and roast as usual.
*Be sure the container used for brining turkey is non-reactive: use enamel, glass or crockery or stainless steel - never cast iron or aluminum. The pot should be just large enough to contain the turkey (so the brine will be sufficient to cover the bird).
** NOTE REGARDING THE AMOUNT OF SALT IN BRINE: A milder brine may be made, which may have a less flavorful result ? but if salt is a concern (the entire turkey will absorb only 10-15% of the brine) the amount of salt may be reduced. For the desired chemical effect to take place, however, the proportions cannot be less than 2/3 to 1 cup of salt per gallon (4 quarts) of water or other liquid.
**TYPES OF SALT:
Kosher salt is the ONLY type of salt to be used in making brine (it is sweeter and more pure than ordinary table salt). Kosher salt is available in two varieties. The most common is flaked salt (example: Morton Kosher Salt) which has been pressed into flakes by rollers. The other type is a four-sided crystal (example: Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt). The crystal-shaped salt measures differently because of its shape. Use about 25% (one quarter) MORE crystal salt than flaked salt when measuring for brine or other recipes. The formula is: 1 tablespoon of regular table salt is equivalent to 1 ? tablespoons flaked kosher salt, or 2 tablespoons, diamond crystal kosher salt.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
...another hint that works well is if the bird is frozen, leave it in the brine for three days to thaw. 5-7 gallon plastic buckets work well for this (tall and narrow containers are best) and if it is in the high thirties to low forties all day, I just leave it outside with a heavy enough cover over it to dissuade any critters. I use a clean plastic trashbag so you can pull it up around the bird and keep it totally submerged. This can also cut down on the amount of ingredients you may need to use.

ALSO, if you have been able to keep the brine cold enough, be sure to have three whole chickens on hand to place in the brine once you pull the turkey out. Brine them from 1-3 days, depending on whether they were frozen or not. This way you get double duty out of the brine. I then vacuum pack the chickens and freeze them. They are absolutely delicious whether you smoke them, roast them or BBQ them

aspeck

Staff member
Brine is cooking. Will cool tonight and the bird will go in tomorrow. Mouth is watering. Home cured and smoked ham, smoked Boom's brined bird and a plain roasted bird. Is it Thursday yet?

GA_Boater

Brine is cooking. Will cool tonight and the bird will go in tomorrow. Mouth is watering. Home cured and smoked ham, smoked Boom's brined bird and a plain roasted bird. Is it Thursday yet?

Close enough, 'speck. What time is dinner? :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Wish my Daughter had not left PA, otherwise I might show up too!

aspeck

Staff member
Close enough, 'speck. What time is dinner? :D

Currently, because of work and in-law requirements only 12 of the 20+ invitees are showing up, so there will be plenty ... Yunzes are welcome to join ...

southkogs

Staff member
Wow ... haven't heard "yunzes" in a while. But I am too far away to make it on Thursday :sorrow:

GA_Boater

On it. It's y'all for people that talk funny.

Having lived Up There and Down Here, either one sounds fine to me.

Younzes have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Y'all have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
We did have a Happy Thanksgiving! The home cured ham and the Boom's Brined Bird were both hits. The regular roasted turkey was also very tender, juicy, and flavorful. There were no family fights ... both my family and my wife's family behaved themselves ... so it was a good and fun day! Yeah!

64osby

Admiral
Thanks Boom, we brined for the second year yesterday. The Turkey was great.