HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY

Tyme2fish

Commander
I salute all that have or are currently serving. We seem to have a lot of veterans on this site.

I myself have never taken advantage of the free meals various places offer to veterans. That being said, I'm awfully tempted to accept Texas Roadhouse's offer of a free rib-eye with two sides.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
To all the veterans on these boating threads, you will always have my sincere admiration and respect. I want to say thank you all for servicing our country and allowing us to live free. I don't take that lightly either. :usa2:

Tnstratofam

Commander
From my beautiful Admiral and myself Thank You to all our Brothers and Sisters in Arms. For all those who served and still serve today we should remember their sacrifices every day for our freedom.

The Admiral: Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 639th Transporttion Company Kingsort Tennesse/ Ryadh Saudi Arabia 1989-1998.

Me: Sra U.S. Air force 1st Air Com Group Offutt AFB Ne. 4413th Air Refueling Suadron Aldafra Air Station United Arab Emirates.1991-1996

southkogs

Staff member
Just got back from our city square ... spent a couple hours with vets from WWII, Korea, Viet Nam and the Iraq/Middle East War(s). Thank you all.

NYBo

Admiral
I myself have never taken advantage of the free meals various places offer to veterans. That being said, I'm awfully tempted to accept Texas Roadhouse's offer of a free rib-eye with two sides.
Do it, you've earned!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do it, you've earned!

that and more!!! Thank you all veterans and those still serving; without you, nothing is possible... And thanks to all that have participated in this thread; even the onlookers have taken notice of those that have served. That's what the holiday is about - to take notice with honor and respect of those that have given so much, maybe all, that we can remain free....
Thank You

Tyme2fish

Commander
As usual, I just stayed at home and didn't partake of any of the offers. I decided instead to fix up a mess of fried crappie,hush-puppies, and pork 'n beans. My neighbor's wife just returned home from neck and back surgery and I thought I'd treat them to dinner. I myself just had surgery 6 days ago.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As usual, I just stayed at home and didn't partake of any of the offers. I decided instead to fix up a mess of fried crappie,hush-puppies, and pork 'n beans. My neighbor's wife just returned home from neck and back surgery and I thought I'd treat them to dinner. I myself just had surgery 6 days ago.

that's way better than anything you could have gotten at any restaurant!

RGrew176

Commander
To honor my dad who served during WWII and Korea.

643w51.jpg

boatman37

Lieutenant
No Title

i'm not a veteran but do work at the VA so i see dozens of vets every day and i'm proud to serve them.

also, my great uncle was at pearl harbor when it was attacked. he is 98 now and still sharp. my mother went to visit him a couple weeks ago and he showed her all of his awards and medals. he began telling her that the planes were so close that he could see the pilots eyes. she said he was crying the whole time he was telling this story. she had never heard it before. he also had a taping of a radio broadcast of President Roosevelt declaring the war was over and played that for my mother.

Attachments

• photo234068.jpg
    photo234068.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 0

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I usually avoid "bumping" threads of a date-specific nature, but I received this today and thought it was sufficiently on-topic, and besides, it should probably be Veterans' Day 24/7/365. :)

As sent to me >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not new but interesting ................... 1944 versus 2014

Now this is an incredible use of technology---like travelling back in time!

Left click and hold on each photo, and then drag your mouse gently from

left to right on the original photograph, and will be become a photo of the

exact same location and view today - drag it back to the left and you are back in 1944!

Scroll down to look at more photos.
Just fascinating!

http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/apr/image-opacity-slider-master/index.html?ww2-dday

Tnstratofam

Commander
Thanks for posting the link Tim. I showed the pictures to my 17 year old step son and told him most of the young men in those pictures weren't much older than him. He was amazed at how some of the structures hadn't changed much at all, and how some were repaired and looked like they hadn't seen any war time damage.

The beach front pics were the most striking to me.

southkogs

Staff member
I've seen that a few times - I could look over those shots for hours. Very interesting.

boatman37

Lieutenant
that is awesome. i love seeing 'before and after' picks. wife and i are going to our towns historical society friday to see some of the old photos of our town.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I usually avoid "bumping" threads of a date-specific nature, but I received this today and thought it was sufficiently on-topic, and besides, it should probably be Veterans' Day 24/7/365. :)
a thread might lend to date specific, and many/most seem to pay tribute holiday specific; i.e., Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter.... etc. I can fall short myself, however, shouldn't we be honoring and respecting every day all day? Aren't most holidays about those that have devoted or given their life for our betterment?

In addition, it pisses me off to see some politician try to advance their standing by stating they're going to help our military. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO THAT ANYWAY!!