Shoulder: So Far So Good

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Just wanted to say thanks for all the thoughts, prayers and encouragement and give y'all an update. The surgery was three weeks ago today and went very well. He repaired a full thickness rotator cuff tear, resected the bursa, shaved down a bone spur, installed bone anchors, shaved down the acromiom and cleaned up the joint. Everything was really crammed in there, but now there's plenty of space for all those parts to move around without rubbing together. Before the procedure the nurse told me the anesthetist would administer an arm block and my arm would flop around like a catfish while he pinpointed the nerves to block. I was fascinated and wanted to see it happening but I was already out by the time they got to that. I've been off the Hydrocodones for two weeks and am down to three to six ibuprofen every 24 hours or so. Sling came off after a week and a half.

I've been trying really hard to be good but it hasn't been easy. I'm in the danger zone now because I feel just good enough to do something stupid. Therapist told me today I should be at full range of motion in two more weeks. Range of motion exercises are mostly what we've been doing but he's added a small strengthening component. I have good days and bad days but am very pleased with the results thus far.

angus63

Captain
Congrats on the speedy recovery! May be the next candidate for shoulder repair to dremel away the damage. Pain and lack of range getting worse. Your post is encouragement. Good luck!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Incoop, that sound great. But make certain you don't do things you are not supposed to do at this point. The physical therapist knows their stuff and will bring you through it in great shape. But you still can do damage trying things you know you shouldn't do yet. However, sounds like you will be 100% in a while. :thumb:

aspeck

Staff member
My doc was mad at me when I had the shoulder surgery ... I started too soon with my own rehab and tore up his pretty suture. He was not happy with my scar, but couldn't argue with my range of motion and progress. He wanted to then do plastic surgery to repair the mess I made of his pretty work. I was fine, I didn't care that I had a big battle scar. I figured I earned it! HA!

With that said, don't be stupid and over do the exercises. Keep the rehab moving in the right direction. It was 26 years ago that I had my surgery and have not had a bit of problem with it since the recovery. I wish I hadn't waited 8 years to have it done ... should have gone in right away ... it would have saved me a lot of pain!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good progress report, Coop. Sounds like you're doing well being down to just a few ibuprofen a day.

Watch out since it's feeling better. Like you said - The Danger Zone.