Keep or get a new car?

hostage

Lieutenant
My wife is pregnant with our first child, she currently drives a 2006 Toyota Avalon with 160k miles on it. With the exception of one very stressful out of warranty problem, when ended up getting covered 90% of the cost as it got recalled, we have had no major issues with it. That problem happen about a year after we got it, though we have owned it for about 6 years and the only other issues we had was an O2 sensor and a broken cruise control lever. She has been talking about getting a new car for a couple of years. She is wanting a small to midsize sedan as she finds people like to damage her car in the parking lot. Though at the same time as we are having a child the large room not only makes the car safer, but also easier to get a child in and out of the car compared to a smaller car. The other thing that is bugging her about it is the tires. The car being the "touring", has low profile tires which are not only expensive, but less comfortable on our roads that are torn up by winter every year. She is also wanting something that has AWD. I know tires are king when it comes to safety and granted she only goes with all season, though I would like to go with winter tires and new rims, if we keep the car and swap them out in the spring. She is also worrying about repairing the car, the cruise lever and the O2 sensor happen this year.

I took a look at some midsize AWD cars and I was stunned about how much they wanted for used cars, let alone new cars. What ever happen to you lose 10% of the value of the car by driving off the lot. I see cars that are marked only about 15% that are 3-4 years old, I thought they normally depreciate around 40% in that time. We do like cars and think they are a marvel of engineering, though we both agree cars are just a tool and a means to get me to point a to point b. I don't understand why people would spend boat money on a means a transportation, I mean that is crazy right? I don't mind spending money on doing a project on my house and I wouldn't mind spending a lot of money on a new boat, though I like being on my boat and in my house. Both of our vehicles have been paid off for about a year.

rogerwa

Commander
A lot of variables to deal with here and nobody can tell you an answer as they don't really know your situation. But I always ensured my wife drove a bigger, newer, reliable vehicle. When my kids were all small and in the house she first drove an expedition 4x4 and then a suburban 4x4. That surburban which is still in the family at 190, 000 miles and very few problems once saved my youngest. Our baby sitter was driving and the suburban was t-boned right at the rear passenger door where my son was sitting. The impact was strong enough to rip off the front wheel. When I looked at the inside, the door where he was sitting was barely pushed in. If he was in a sedan, this would have been a different story.

Older cars can fail - when you least expect it. That is why i had my wife driving something newer -even though I took care of the vehicles, older ones can have failures when you are not there. Then they are stuck and vulnerable. Not something I wanted to happen.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your Toyota is barely broken in at 160K. I would keep it.

I have an 05 Lexus GS300 with 185K on it. I maintain it very well and know it will be a good car all the way up to 300K.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
So hard to say... you can have newer cars that are not that reliable, too. If the older car is paid for, is relatively reliable and is of a size that will make baby-into-carseat wrestling possible, why not hang on to it?

Even if you do buy a set of winter-only tires, you will be paying way less that year than if you were making monthly car payments. The extra money is nice when you have a little one, too. Not to mention that kids are hard on cards -- do you really want spit-up, Cheerios and other child-related detritus all over a new car?

If the car isn't safe or reliable (or if it ceases to be), then sell it and get something newer. You want your family to be in something safe, first and foremost.

Also, if you hang on to the current vehicle, you'll have some time to accept the eventuality that you and/or your wife will be driving a minivan in the foreseeable future! :lol::lol::lol:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, that is always a good question - sell or keep. It depends on so many things. But every time I "do the math" it says keep (unless it's unsafe). But, once the Admiral gets the thought of a new(er) car in mind, that momentum is very hard to stop

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Right now try and find a vehicle in the last 7 years that doesn't have a recall on it..... Lately, a lot are new ones...

thumpar

Admiral
I would keep it. When you do upgrade move up to an SUV. I know the GM rigs have selectable AWD, 2WD and 4x4 at the touch of a button if that is what she is looking for. They also make great tow rigs as a plus.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Also, if you hang on to the current vehicle, you'll have some time to accept the eventuality that you and/or your wife will be driving a minivan in the foreseeable future! :lol::lol::lol:
Very good point. See how your lifestyle changes after the baby arrives and then see what will be the best car for you.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Avalon's have a great rep for running strong and long.

I would keep it and see what life brings, or you could sell it to me dirt cheap and wish you wouldn't have.

hostage

Lieutenant
Thanks for the input, my wife likes sedans and I like SUVs. I would NEVER drive a mini-van. :)

My current SUV has 3 rows and can tow my boat without a problem. I need to get her cruise control lever fixed and put winter tires on it, after that she should have no worries. I might even get it detailed, it still looks like it is in good condition, just some dings from idiots in parking lots.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I will NEVER drive a mini van unless it's a relatives.... :)

aspeck

Staff member
I will NEVER drive a mini van unless it's a relatives.... :)

Yep ... just wait till all the grandkids start coming ... then grandpa is gonna need something big enough to haul them all in when taking them for ice cream ... it will be pulled behind the camper ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep ... just wait till all the grandkids start coming ... then grandpa is gonna need something big enough to haul them all in when taking them for ice cream ... it will be pulled behind the camper ...

Great, so that means the boat will have to stay home since the mini is being towed instead......:facepalm:

BTW, she needs a boyfriend first and then a husband. I should be good for a while.....:D:peace::whoo:

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
I love my mini-vans. Currently on my 3rd mini-van and in future, I will replace my current mini-van with another. They are great on gas, great to load "kit stuff" within its rear and they are easy to drive as well. And they are good on gas as well. Mini-vans uncool???? Good thing I drive them for me and don't care what others think about them. Seriously.... If you got kids and more on the way, do look at the mini-van. There's a reason many people with young kids still buy them today...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
When my daughter was young we had a Charger. Now she has it. My dad had a Charger('72) when me and my brother were young... Not saying minis are uncool, just not my cup of tea........ :)

thumpar

Admiral
I have had 3 Astro/Safari vans. The AWD version gets around great and have a lot of room but I will never get another van after having my Yukon and Suburban.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Interesting reads on all the comments, with a lot of good advice both ways as well. However, If you presently have a "Paid For" vehicle(s) and it is in relatively good condition, then take the typical monthly payment you would have to spend on anything for a new-to-you vehicle and bank it in a savings account at your favorite bank. And then once the new baby is up and around, you will have a nice account with money in it to finance a new vehicle if you still want one. If you can't save the monthly paying to a savings account presently, then you couldn't have bought a new vehicle anyways. :noidea: And your present vehicle(s) can be made to look and run like new for a few monthly payments for sure. I still own and drive a 1995 Ford Ranger Extended Cap and a 1998 4dr Blazer. Both are built on strong solid metal frames and not some stamped bodywork that doesn't support towing anything. And both are rear wheel drives as well. Both are extremely easy to maintain and look and run like near new as well. While that isn't everybody's favorite idea, it obviously does work for us. No payments and solid dependable transportation without any issues. I have to say totally debt free for years and years is a magnificent feeling! JMHO!