Technology Withdrawl

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Any one else have the same feeling about all the added technology that is not needed on mechanical items such as cars, trucks, boat motors, and such.
I recently looked at a stihl chain saw with fuel and oil injection. What the Heck??? Things must have been working too good and they need to make things user unfriendly?

thumpar

Admiral
Most of it has to do with government regulations. Personally I like some of the improvements. My 1996 has fuel injection and starts like a dream still.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Cofe, I have to agree with your assumption myself. And I retired from a computer programing/circuit re/design career as well. To see all the displays and vehicle capabilities in newer vehicles these days makes me seriously wonder when (not if) those things start to have problems, what is the typical owner going to say when the price tag to fix such things exceeds common sense. I like innovation and modernization as much as the next guy. But seriously, the software in newer vehicles will cause issues...guaranteed. USB, Bluetooth, GPS, IPod, Smartphone capable and the list is non-stop. Those things are designed to work for a minimum time until the next generation of gadgetry becomes available. So interestingly ,your new vehicle can be obsolete in short order. And it is a FACT, those niceties are not designed to last the length of the vehicle life. Think corrosion down the road when you are sitting aside of the road because some new system failed. Electronics are great, but certainly not forever! I would much rather have a good solid transportation without any of the niceties then a loaded car that was iffy at best! JMHO!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
How about U-Connect where someone a couple thousand miles away can drive your vehicle into a brick wall, while you're in it!

FlaCowboy

Ensign
How about U-Connect where someone a couple thousand miles away can drive your vehicle into a brick wall, while you're in it!

Hey Musky...how can I connect to that ...U-Connect site...I have a few folks that I want to do that to...:D :car:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Good question. My wife had to install software in her car to fix it for now. Just a matter of time before they hack the fix....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Let's see, the choice is to have a non electronic controlled engine that gets 10MPG and lasts 100K miles or a newer modern vehicle with an electronically controlled engine that gets 20 MPG and lasts over 200K miles! Gee...hard choice.

The facts are that engine electronics are super reliable and makes engine troubles shooting infinitely easier than the "old days".

Electronics are not designed to last a limited time. That is just laughable. EDIT: Maybe if you own a Chrysler product!

Let's look at other electronics in the car...willing to live without ABS? How about keyless entry? Traction control? Cruise control?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bruceb58, Some how I expected you to make such a statement once I posted something. You are predictable. However, If you reread what I stated, there was not mention about computer controlled engines. I was talking about GPS, IPods, Bluetooth, Smartphones and video displays on the dash and everywhere else that honestly doesn't add to fuel economy but detracts from it. And for the record, metallurgy has allowed modern engines to last longer, not software. But you knew that I'm sure. But as usual, once you see one of my post, you try to one up me so many times. I know a lot more about electronics then you may think. 40 year career.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have been an electrical design engineer for 33 years with 4 of those years working in the automotive electronics industry. My present company makes testers for automotive ethernet among other things. Future of the auto is a massive decrease in wiring running around the vehicle which will allow the car to be lighter and WAY more reliable. Sorry...more electronics makes a vehicle WAY more reliable.

Automotive electronics allow engines to run more efficiently so they do allow an engine to run longer. You no longer have to worry about lean conditions, engine knock among a host of other detrimental conditions.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Guys, lets not do this ok?

Simply agree to disagree.

thanks

bassman284

Commander
Let's see, the choice is to have a non electronic controlled engine that gets 10MPG and lasts 100K miles or a newer modern vehicle with an electronically controlled engine that gets 20 MPG and lasts over 200K miles! Gee...hard choice.

The facts are that engine electronics are super reliable and makes engine troubles shooting infinitely easier than the "old days".

Electronics are not designed to last a limited time. That is just laughable. EDIT: Maybe if you own a Chrysler product!

Let's look at other electronics in the car...willing to live without ABS? How about keyless entry? Traction control? Cruise control?
I could happily live without ABS. I've always hated it. The ABS controller on my old Jeep puked about 7 years ago. It was great. I had REAL brakes again. I'd love to be able to disable it on my current Jeep but it's tied into traction control (which I don't need) stability control (which is a pain in the butt) and maybe a few other things so I probably have to live with it. Trust me bud, when you have Quadradrive II, you have no need for traction control.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are a lot of electronically controlled items in the current vehicles I could do without.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I worked at the GM proving grounds for awhile. In order to drive on the tracks you had attend a driving school that they gave us. One car had a switch where they could disable ABS for when we were doing evasive maneuvers. I was amazed how much easier it was to do the maneuver with the ABS on. They also did a straight braking test on wet and dry roads and asked us to try and stop as fast as we could with and without ABS. You could literary stop in half the distance with ABS on.

Problem with many drivers is that they think they should pump the brakes with ABS which makes it worse than not having ABS.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Cofe, I have to agree with your assumption myself. And I retired from a computer programing/circuit re/design career as well. To see all the displays and vehicle capabilities in newer vehicles these days makes me seriously wonder when (not if) those things start to have problems, what is the typical owner going to say when the price tag to fix such things exceeds common sense. I like innovation and modernization as much as the next guy. But seriously, the software in newer vehicles will cause issues...guaranteed. USB, Bluetooth, GPS, IPod, Smartphone capable and the list is non-stop. Those things are designed to work for a minimum time until the next generation of gadgetry becomes available. So interestingly ,your new vehicle can be obsolete in short order. And it is a FACT, those niceties are not designed to last the length of the vehicle life. Think corrosion down the road when you are sitting aside of the road because some new system failed. Electronics are great, but certainly not forever! I would much rather have a good solid transportation without any of the niceties then a loaded car that was iffy at best! JMHO!

I'm looking at a new vehicle, and I'm really tempted to buy one that is already obsolete, the Dodge Grand Caravan American Value Package.
am/fm/cd, cruise, and air.
No power seats or windows.
No power doors.
No dvd player.
No video screens.
No power antenna.
No useless "fog or driving lights.
No rood rack.
No alloy wheels.
No phone or internet connections.
No "onstar" type connection.
No backup camera.
No lane monitoring guidance system.
No auto braking.
No parking assist.

People might have to learn to think again if the cars were built like they were 20 years ago.

20 grand with a 3600# tow rating.

But its hard to move up to the next model for only 3 grand more.

............"Let's look at other electronics in the car...willing to live without ABS? How about keyless entry? Traction control? Cruise control?"..........

Yes, and I did until 7 years ago, when it became impossible to avoid.
Insurance companies and over reaching government do gooders mandate this stuff.
All these required features do is raise the base price of the vehicles, and ultimately place a limit on the freedom of the people.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My truck has traction control........................................... It's a 4x4!!! I constantly have to turn it off when I plow.

aspeck

Staff member
For the record, Bruce, I like the "engine" technology ... the computer controlled ignition, air, fuel flow, emissions checks and balances, etc. I do like the better fuel economy and the lower emissions (some of these I wish the consumer had more control over, but that is another issue).

I do not care for all the "electronic luxuries." But then, it is the same way with everything. Many of you want to update to the latest and greatest "smartphone." Some are content, and like what they are comfortable with somewhere in the middle of the road. Some are like me and just really want a phone ... no camera, no bells and whistles, just a cell phone. And some are like my brother who does not want a cell phone at all, shucks, it is hard to get him to pick up the land line if he is home alone. We all have our different comfort levels. Unfortunately it is getting to the point where if your threshold for electronic gadgets and gizmos is low, tough. You are stuck with all or nothing at all.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
For the record, Bruce, I like the "engine" technology ... the computer controlled ignition, air, fuel flow, emissions checks and balances, etc. I do like the better fuel economy and the lower emissions (some of these I wish the consumer had more control over, but that is another issue).
When I was working for GM, we were working on intelligent cruise control and collision avoidance. If you have ever driven in a car with intelligent cruise control, it is absolutely fantastic on freeways when the guy in front of you likes varying his speed up and down a few miles per hour.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I do not care for all the "electronic luxuries." But then, it is the same way with everything. Many of you want to update to the latest and greatest "smartphone." Some are content, and like what they are comfortable with somewhere in the middle of the road. Some are like me and just really want a phone ... no camera, no bells and whistles, just a cell phone. And some are like my brother who does not want a cell phone at all, shucks, it is hard to get him to pick up the land line if he is home alone. We all have our different comfort levels. Unfortunately it is getting to the point where if your threshold for electronic gadgets and gizmos is low, tough. You are stuck with all or nothing at all.

I agree with you aspeck, I wish that some of the gadgets for these vehicles would be "Options" ...but now we are stuck with buying them on the list price. Don't get me wrong, I do like things like cruise, ABS, electronic ignition, fuel injection, dual over head cams etc. I do however wish they would take the high low dimmer switch off the turn signal and put it back on the left foot floor board.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I'm still waiting for the flying car they promised me 50 years ago! :flypig: :laugh: