son hit a deer

boatman37

Lieutenant
well everyone is ok, except the deer. he just started his sr year in college and worked an internship all summer and saved all his pennies and bought himself a nice used BMW about 2 months ago. deer ran out in front of him tonight and cracked the bumper and poked a hole in the radiator. had it towed to the body shop but he is bummed. his first car that he paid for himself

64osby

Admiral
Auto insurance is a wonderful item for those types of things.

My daughter asked me the other night if i have ever had an accident. I told her I hit a mail box and once scraped someones mirror while driving. Then I told her about the seven deer I've hit.:eek::D

southkogs

Staff member
Thank God he wasn't hurt, but that's a bummer for the guy to have to deal with ...

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Poor kid at least you hopefully got some deer steaks out of it and if so let him have the first one as vengeance

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes this IS the season for bucks to wonder around looking for that special doe. So everybody be on the look out for such dumb-founded deer. I see deer laying on the side of the road all the time, but especially so this time of the year. When I was an avid hunter, it would amaze me to hunt all daylong and not see even one deer, but drive home and see them laying on the side of the road. I guess I should have paved the trails in front of my stand to see them... :pound:

boatman37

Lieutenant
one of the fireman took the deer. it was kinda funny. the car barely has a scrape. there were about 6 or 7 volunteer fireman there in their personal vehicles, a large fire truck, and 2 police cars. they even put a flagger down the road with a metal road sign. you would have thought it was a multi-car pileup...lol. maybe they were all there trying to grab the deer??? :lol: the car is a 2006 BMW 325xi. not sure how expensive parts will be but glad his insurance is covering it

southkogs

Staff member
... glad his insurance is covering it
May turn out to be one of those "blessings" in disguise. A few years ago, a kid hit me at a light in my old Mercury. Popped me right in a spot where I already had some damage I wasn't going to fix (wasn't worth it for this old beater). His insurance took a look at it, cut me a check that covered the damage (including what had already been damaged) and wound up with a fresh coat of paint :thumb:

Hope it doesn't hit his premium though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I realize hitting a deer is no funny matter. But most of the time, the deer gets the worst of the ordeal. Just be extremely glad you don't live in Anchorage, Alaska. Those moose up there are huge and sadly the driver and vehicle gets the worst of those hits. Until you see them up close and personal, you honestly can't gauge just how big those animals really are. I was astounded seeing them for the first time when I was there...

jkust

Rear Admiral
Driving up to our lake house on the weekends in the late summer/early fall in the evening is like a crap shoot...are we going to hit a deer or just miss a deer? Good thing for comprehensive coverage...it's a wonderful thing. As for premium increases, a few years back my wife rolled her suv on black ice on the freeway several time completely destroying every single part of it as bad as you can imagine and to my surprise our rate only increased 10% at renewal. I think we had the SUV a year and they paid me more than It cost at the dealer when I bought it. Six months later at the next renewal, I shopped around and brought it right back down to lower than pre accident levels...go figure. I think she even had three accidents and speed violations on her record even. Hope it all works out for him.

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant
Glad he wasn't hurt! I have to watch out on the way to the lake house too. They are somehow attracted to the roads!

boatman37

Lieutenant
he is 22 and this is his first claim of any type so hopefully it will be ok.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I realize hitting a deer is no funny matter. But most of the time, the deer gets the worst of the ordeal. Just be extremely glad you don't live in Anchorage, Alaska. Those moose up there are huge and sadly the driver and vehicle gets the worst of those hits. Until you see them up close and personal, you honestly can't gauge just how big those animals really are. I was astounded seeing them for the first time when I was there...

You don't have to go to Alaska, I got chased back into the house this morning by a bull that had a bad attitude! nice big bull and I didn't draw a tag this year, or I would have taken the day off to dress and get him to the butcher!