The Detroit Lions Get Robbed Again

WIMUSKY

Staff member
So I assume that wasn't a reviewable play? Since it came with under 2 minutes to go, it would have to come from the booth. You sure would think the booth would have looked at it being it was a close call, IMO not really. If it was over 2 minutes you know the red flag would have been thrown.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
They said you can't review it in the same way you can't review something like pass interference.

aspeck

Staff member
Reviewable Plays in the NFL

If an offensive guard puts his hands on an onrushing tackle, the official uses his judgment to decide whether the contact is holding. The call is not reviewable. If a pass receiver lands with only one foot in bounds, it's clear to anyone that the pass should not count as completed. There, a review can clearly expose whether an official was correct.
NFL rules are complicated, and they're frequently tweaked and revised. Basically, there are three types of reviewable plays:
  1. Calls involving sidelines, goal lines and end line. This includes whether a runner broke the plane of the goal line, whether a player stepped out of bounds, whether a player recovered a loose ball in or out of bounds, or whether a loose ball hit the sideline
  2. Calls involving passes. When the ball was knocked loose, was the player passing or was it a fumble? Was a pass completed or intercepted? Did an ineligible player touch a forward pass? Did a player cross the line of scrimmage before passing?
  3. Other detectable issues. Was a runner down by contact prior to fumbling? Were there more than 11 players on the field at the snap? Was the ball spotted correctly when a first down was at stake? Was a kick that passed the goalpost lower than the uprights successful?
The review rules specify a number of situations that are not reviewable. These include:
  • All judgment calls, such as pass interference, holding and roughing the passer
  • A play where a runner is ruled down by defensive contact, not involving a fumble
  • The recovery of a loose ball in the field of play
  • Inadvertent whistles and down calls
Time on the clock can only be reviewed at the very end of a half. Kick attempts can't be reviewed if they sail higher than the uprights.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/nfl-review-rules1.htm

WIMUSKY

Staff member
They said you can't review it in the same way you can't review something like pass interference.

To me, it's not even in the same category as pass interference. if anything, maybe in the category of catch or no catch. Just like all scoring is reviewed I think think should be too, was the ball helped out of the endzone or not.

Maybe there will be a rule tweak after this, but it doesn't matter for now as far as the Lions....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
To me, it's not even in the same category as pass interference. if anything, maybe in the category of catch or no catch. Just like all scoring is reviewed I think think should be too, was the ball helped out of the endzone or not.

Maybe there will be a rule tweak after this, but it doesn't matter for now as far as the Lions....
I am just saying what the head of officiating said the next day...was a judgement call and could not be reviewed. His words...not mine.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I know, Bruce. Didn't mean to sound like you were saying it.....

Captain Ollie West

Petty Officer 2nd Class
KJ has stated that he intentionally knocked the ball out. I think this was more a matter of ignorance of the rule in the first place by the officials and not a misjudgment. I watched the game and I don't recall anyone objecting to the lack of a penalty. Too bad it was a game changer.