Hurricane Joaquin

64osby

Admiral
They don't care about preparedness, they want panic so people will be tuned in to their news channel! And if someone gets a direct hit they'll be loving it. Remember how long CNN covered the missing Malaysian Air flight?

Didn't they shut down DC to NYC for a snow storm that didn't happen last year.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looks like its going to head East Time to go fishing

al112015.15100200.gif

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sounds like it's supposed to track east well offshore. A low on the deep south is supposed to dump a butt load of rain. I thought they said 20" in some places.... Carolinas?

dwco5051

Commander
News is reporting that a 750' roll on/off cargo ship is missing that got caught in the storm. Crew of 33 and no radio contact since initial radio calls that they lost propulsion, had a 15 degree list and were taking on water.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
The RO/RO belongs to Saltchuk (TOTE). I work for SALTCHUK. We lost comms with them on Wednesday morning, They reported they were DIW (Dead in the water) and taking on water. Had a 15 degree list at last report. Please keep my coworkers, Mariners, and their families in your thoughts and prayers. The Coast Guard is doing everything possible to locate our crewmen. (28 Americans, 5 Polish Citizens)

angus63

Captain
Latest email from Phil Greene of TOTE indicates the search resumed. There was a brief reception of an Epirb signal registered to the vessel but no communication other than that since Thursday AM. Hoping for some good news soon.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
For those interested, Saltchuk has activated a website for information and news releases on our mariners. the web site is www.elfaroincident.com The last info we have from Saltchuk was a life ring has been located which narrows the search area down. The Coast Guard is still searching, now having covered over 30000 square miles. Tim and Mark are in Jacksonville talking with the families and keeping a vigil at the union hall. Please keep our mariners in your thoughts and prayers.

angus63

Captain
Thanks for the link. If I get any additional news I will post it on this thread. Hoping tomorrow search conditions improve and it brings good news.

angus63

Captain
Additional debris spotted in the region but not confirmed to be from El Faro. Hoping for some good news soon.

"Life jackets, life rings, containers and an oil sheen have been located by Coast Guard aircrews. The objects have not been confirmed to be from the El Faro at this time"

angus63

Captain
USCG holding press conference at 10am eastern with latest details of the search for El Faro.

rlb81

Seaman

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
The Latest Update for our Mariners is posted on the Incident Website. It does not bode well for our Shipmates. Keep our Mariners, and their families in your thoughts and prayers. The Families need our support now, more than ever.

southkogs

Staff member
May God be kind both in safety and in peril. All prayers for peace and comfort to the families.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
While nothing is "Official" it no longer looks good for our Mariners. The one life boat found was destroyed, there are no EPIRBS pinging within range, and while the search continues, hope is fading fast. Please continue to keep the Mariners, Families, and Co-Workers in your prayers.