Hurricane Joaquin

angus63

Captain
Current 11am ET forecast puts the eye in my yard Monday afternoon. I am actually rooting for the European model over the US model (definitely a first for me!!) to win the battle and have the storm pass east without a landfall. Gonna be a long weekend preparing anyway cuz I cannot take the chance. On another note, I was planning to leave Tuesday to go camping in PA and attend the Hershey Antique Car Show and swap meet. This may dampen my plans...crap.

rlb81

Seaman
Just curious, what predicted track are you looking at? NWS maps show the eye off the coast of VA to NJ Mon-Tues

145823W5_NL_sm.gif

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Christie just declared a State of Emergency for NJ. :blue: Maybe a just in case move?

rlb81

Seaman
Probably. Also glad I live in PSE&G turf now. I was in JCP&L for Sandy, 11? days without power. Still fired up my generator last night anyway, some fresh gas and one pull and she fired right up. Gotta love a generac!

Edit: I see now that you live in GA, so my statement probably makes 0 sense to you haha

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Sure it does, rlb - Sandy tore the place up. :blue:

aspeck

Staff member
I saw one model that has the eye coming over central PA ... this storm has models all over the place with landfall anywhere from VA to New England to no landfall at all. I am going to check the rescue boats on Saturday to make sure all is ready there. Others will be checking the pumps and generators. The fire department will be ready to go with hopes that we don't need to go anywhere. Just had enough rain to saturate everything with another front supposed to drop heavy rain Friday night through Sunday morning. Then Monday through Tuesday evening or Wednesday the possibility of remnants of Joaquin. I wish I didn't need to mow tonight ... could be the last chance for some decent fishing until next week this time. Walleye are currently hitting ...

GA_Boater

Go fishing, 'speck. The grass will wait for you, the wallies won't. It's a matter of priorities. ;).

aspeck

Staff member
I know, but with the rain we are to get, if I don't mow this afternoon, it will be bailing hay next week ... I do have a meeting at 6 tonight, but after that, if I get the anchor light fixed, I might be gone ... walleye and eggs for breakfast sounds good, don't it?

aspeck

Staff member
Dang it, rain came early ... no mowing ... guess I will have to work on the anchor lights soon! :D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
walleye bite in the rain, mowers dont cut for crap in the rain.

angus63

Captain
Rlb81
I live in central south shore of Long Island, NY. NHC cone track midpoint is over my town as of the 11am advisory. The models are still scattered and the Euro model puts it way East of me, so far. Hoping for a hard right before reaching NY

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
The weather man this morning had models with tracks in so many directions it was almost comical. The Admiral asked me how anyone in the projected path was supposed to be prepared when they have no idea where it will go. Then they showed the euro track which pretty much keeps it off the east coast way up past New England. That's the path I hope it chooses for all the people in it's potential paths.

Our chances of rain from any of the paths are slim to none, but I know there are lots of people out there stuck in limbo wondering where it's gonna go. Our prayers go out to all those already dealing with Joaquin, and to all those bracing for what may come.

rlb81

Seaman
Rlb81
I live in central south shore of Long Island, NY. NHC cone track midpoint is over my town as of the 11am advisory. The models are still scattered and the Euro model puts it way East of me, so far. Hoping for a hard right before reaching NY

Ahh gotcha, good luck!

rlb81

Seaman
The weather man this morning had models with tracks in so many directions it was almost comical. The Admiral asked me how anyone in the projected path was supposed to be prepared when they have no idea where it will go.

They don't care about preparedness, they want panic so people will be tuned in to their news channel! And if someone gets a direct hit they'll be loving it. Remember how long CNN covered the missing Malaysian Air flight?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Rlb81
I live in central south shore of Long Island, NY.

Me too. Battened down the hatches this morning. My bow faces east, so I pulled the boat farther forward from the bulkhead and doubled up bow, stern and spring lines. Took down the bridge enclosure, too. Now we wait.

boatman37

Lieutenant
wife mentioned this morning that we should probably pull the boat sunday morning before the storms his here in pittsburgh. not concerned about the winds but if the floods come or the current picks up i'd rather not be trying to put it on the trailer in that. especially since it will be my first time trailering it. was really hoping to get a couple more weekends out of it here.

but good luck to all that will get the brunt of it. hopefully it stays offshore enough to minimize any impact

angus63

Captain
Me too. Battened down the hatches this morning. My bow faces east, so I pulled the boat farther forward from the bulkhead and doubled up bow, stern and spring lines. Took down the bridge enclosure, too. Now we wait.

Lucky for us the 5pm advisory pushed the cone 200 miles east. That euro model is so much more reliable than all the others. When all the others went west originally, euro went east and stayed there. The computing power, resolution, and quantity of data points the Brits use dwarfs all the other players, including the US. Good thing forecasting is not an Olympic event!!