Nascar Race #29, Final Challenger Round At The Monster Mile

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This the right place for the first cut in the Chase. Four drivers will lose to the Monster by early evening on Sunday. So far 2 winners have a punched ticket to the next round starting next week and any new winner will also advance. That means 14 drivers will be trying to win or stay above the the 13th points position because 13 and below are out of the Chase and will turn in their yellow splitters, spoilers and name on the windshield.

Dover has an X-Men race on Saturday and Cup races on Sunday, sandwiching a Truck race, who are gambling Saturday evening at Lost Wages. The MRN schedules;
d1.PNG

The Cup entry list is at 44. On the bubble is Travis Kvapil, who must qualify on speed and if qualifying is cancelled, then he goes home. Is qualifying in danger of being cancelled? Oh yeah - Hurricane Joaquin is churning in the Atlantic and headed for the East Coast. The forecast track is right over or very near Dover; I think. :confused:
spaghetti.PNG

Ooops - Dropped my plate of spaghetti and meatball, here's a better look at the track.
joaq.PNG

All that stuff leads into the Dover forecast and it ain't good;
d-wx.PNG

So whenever the race does run, there are scenerios for most of the drivers to move on to the next round. Jayski's says it best, so from him;

2015 Contender Round Clinch Scenarios -- Dover: Here are the Contender Round clinch scenarios for Dover, regardless of the finish of any other driver...
#11-Denny Hamlin and #20-Matt Kenseth have already clinched a spot in the Contender Round.
#19-Carl Edwards needs 12 points. (32nd and no laps, 33rd and at least one lap, 34th and most laps led).
#22-Joey Logano needs 13 points. (31st and no laps, 32nd and at least one lap, 33rd and most laps led)
#48-Jimmie Johnson needs 19 points. (25th and no laps, 26th and at least one lap, 27th and most laps led)
#31-Ryan Newman needs 28 points. (16th and no laps, 17th and at least one lap, 18th and most laps led)
#41-Kurt Busch needs 29 points. (15th and no laps, 16th and at least one lap, 17th and most laps led)
#2-Brad Keselowski needs 30 points. (14th and no laps, 15th and at least one lap, 16th and most laps led)
#78-Martin Truex Jr. needs 31 points. (13th and no laps, 14th and at least one lap, 15th and most laps led)
#24-Jeff Gordon needs 34 points. (10th and no laps, 11th and at least one lap, 12th and most laps led)
#1-Jamie McMurray, #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., #18-Kyle Busch, #27-Paul Menard, #4-Kevin Harvick and #15-Clint Bowyer only control their own destinies with a victory

But 4 of them will be saying
3gif.gif

News and Notes
  • The big news is Tony Stewart's announcement confirming the rumors of his retirement at the end of the 2016 season. Here is a good write up by AutoWeek - Stewart Annoucement
  • MWR/Bowyer penalty upheld by Nascar, so Bowyer loses 25 points at a critical point in the Chase. He must win to advance to the Contender round.
  • XFINITY also had some penalties due to a post-race dust-up between Darrell Wallace Jr. and Brian Scott with some name calling. Scott's bus driver is suspended indefinitely, while Scott's wife and Wallace are on probation. What in the world did they call each other?
  • On Tuesday, Nascar met with team owners about, in their words "Earlier today NASCAR met with all Sprint Cup Series owners and presented framework concepts for future qualification to compete in NASCAR's top national series with an eye toward implementing a new model for the 2016 season." Clear as mud, isn't it?
  • New track for XFINITY next year. Pocono will run it's first junior series race in June next year as part of the Cup race weekend.
  • TV ratings for New Hampshire - Down again. Tied for the second lowest of the season.
iboats Fantasy Live
QC took care of business and got his 4th :first: of the year. Believe it or not, I think Jeb Burton saved QC's bacon. Congrats, QC.
FlaCowboy is still our overall leader with a 285 point lead over 64osby. with 8 races to go it isn't a done deal yet.​
Make your changes, cook your ribs, grab you brollies - Whatever it takes to get ready for Sunday......or Monday...or Tuesday. Good luck, folks.

Now where did I leave my spaghetti?

Humpty_Boater
humpy.PNG

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have never in 40 years of watching Nascar series races, ever seen a "Wife" put on probation, man it must of got bad after they cut away for the TV ad's! Yikes!

:eek:

GA_Boater

I think the bus driver is a first, too. I did read that the wife was called a rather disparaging slang term. And things may have turned racial after that. But I wasn't there, only guessing.

GA_Boater

Jayski's is saying Hurricane Joaquin could impact Dover. If Jim Cantore or Mike Seidel show up, you know it's gonna be bad. :eek:

Now Nascar is fooling with the restart zone. Dover will have the zone increased from 70 to 140 feet before the starting line and the rest of the season will have various length zones depending on the track.

Why do they paint a wide line on the track called the Start/Finish Line? Why have a pre-start zone at all. If the zone is so important, why isn't it painted on the track surface? Nascar makes so many of their own problems.

aspeck

Staff member
Clint Bowyer to take control of the 14 in 2017 ... a lot can happen till then ...

Must have been a wing-ding of a verbal altercation! "Martha, cover the kid's ears!"

Lot of guys gonna be running hard ... could be some serious fender rubbing for the finish, if they ever get started ... rain, rain, go away ...

boatman37

Lieutenant
"Why do they paint a wide line on the track called the Start/Finish Line?"

My thoughts exactly

QC

Supreme Mariner
Believe it or not, I think Jeb Burton saved QC's bacon.
I think you are right, sir! I knew that kid was good for sumpin'!

Have y'all seen the YouTube of Brian Scott's wedding? That sweetheart is on NASCAR Probation? Wow...

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner
Why do they paint a wide line on the track called the Start/Finish Line? Why have a pre-start zone at all. If the zone is so important, why isn't it painted on the track surface? Nascar makes so many of their own problems.
The solution is restarts from a standstill. Now, that would be crazy!

GA_Boater

Ole Humpty better stop trash talking Nascar or he's going to be on probation or suspended. LOL

I think F1 is the only major series with a stationary starting grid. There have been a few nasties when a car in front stalls, Motocross, too. When the gate drops it's mayhem.

QC

Supreme Mariner
When the gate drops it's mayhem.
Agreed. Kinda my point, all else is going to be subjective though. Very tough to police if you ask me. What they could do is monitor speed just like pit road. If either of the cars on front row exceeded pace speed before Start/Finish line it would be a pass through penalty. Then the only advantage of being first would be lane choice, and that might be enough. Hmmmmmm, that might actually work.

Remember, prior double file restarts there were only lap down cars in the other lane. Leader had absolute control.

GA_Boater

And with 20 or less laps to go it was single file. The old way with lapped cars running beside the leaders was the only series done like that and caused a lot of wrecks with the lapped cars trying to get a lap back. Of course the current double file also causes plenty of rash decisions, especially on a G-W-C restart.

Monitoring speed on the two cars in front would work, just like pit speed monitoring. Pit speed is untouched by human hands now, so why no the same thing on restarts? I like like that idea, QC. Who do we tell?

GA_Boater

Today is a total washout at Dover, leading to cancelling all qualifying and the K&N race will be run tomorrow. The fields will set by rule meaning all the Cup Chasers fill the top 16 spots.

I have a feeling tomorrow and maybe Sunday are up in the air, too.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Flooding from Hurricane Joaquin has caused the Sharky 500 to be delayed by two weeks until 10/17. I just knew this storm was really going to mess things up. :blue:

http://www.heraldcourier.com/news/sh...a0eb4fdb0.html

You creep! I actually clicked on the link, because I was thinking if things were canceled for the next couple of weeks, I could actually go shopping on Sunday....

The Sharky 500! What is next the Ducky Dash!?

:eek:

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
So, what would happen if the rain is severe enough over the weekend and early next week to postpone the race at Dover?

The answer lies in the NASCAR rule book, which states that four drivers will be eliminated from the postseason after the 29th race of the season. If Dover were to get postponed, and if the scheduled Oct. 10 race at Charlotte Motor Speedwaytakes place as scheduled, then the Charlotte event would be the 29th race of the season and therefore act as the final race of the Challenger Round.

Interesting.

GA_Boater

I'm just trying to keep my Nascar buddies up-to-date with important news. :D

So far this morning everything has been cancelled or delayed. The K&N Pro race has been pused to a 10:30 start, but I can't find any evidence it is in progress or completed. The revised schedule is for Cup practice to be underway at 11 on NBCSN, 10 minutes ago. But NBCSN is showing futbol. :confused:

Of course nascar.com has nothing, as expected.

GA_Boater

CNBC has the Cup practice. Titan #2 has the fast time so far. LOL