Ever make an offer on something you know is to low.....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
To only have the seller take it! Have been looking for a synthetic stock for one of my Ruger 10/22 Rifles, so last night I am cruising through the big auction site and see one, guy wanted $40 bucks for a new take off and another $12.20 in shipping, I didn't want to spend more than $35.00 for one, so I figure, what the heck, I offer him $22.80 plus his shipping figure which makes it $35 even including the shipping, told my wife he won't take the offer. Well came back in a few minutes and low and behold he took the offer! Blew me away, new stock for $35 bucks shipped to my door, I am surprised but pleasantly pleased!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I was in our local Cab elas yesterday and they had close to a hundred packs of .22 LR birdshot loads on the shelf.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MTboatguy, was the stock walnut or a new version of some other wood? Back a few years ago now we, two sons and a lot of co-workers, got into 22 rim fire silhouette matches at our local gun club. You had to stand free hand and shoot ten metal chickens, ten, pigs, ten turkeys, and ten rams at varying distance from 30 yards to 100 yards away. So we all started making custom 22's for those matches. I still have one that needs to be assembled with a Kid trigger assembly, a E. R. Shaw twisted fluted bull barrel and a custom built Richard's Microfit Stocks. So one day I will assembly that last one. I have a few built just sitting now... We've seem to have lost interest...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The old stock on my first 10/22 is the factory original Walnut, I received it as a gift from my Father for Christmas over 40 years ago and I have been looking for a synthetic for it the last couple of years, which I found last night as outlined in my first post, the 2nd one my Father gave me a couple of weeks ago, if a factory stainless with the synthetic stock on it. I am also going to pick up another one with the heavy barrel on it to set up as a target gun so I will probably get pretty fancy with the stock for target shooting. My first one I got, over 40 years ago, has probably had over a 100K rounds through it, so figured it was time to start replacing some stuff on it to ensure it keeps shooting.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The old stock on my first 10/22 is the factory original Walnut, I received it as a gift from my Father for Christmas over 40 years ago and I have been looking for a synthetic for it the last couple of years, which I found last night as outlined in my first post, the 2nd one my Father gave me a couple of weeks ago, if a factory stainless with the synthetic stock on it. I am also going to pick up another one with the heavy barrel on it to set up as a target gun so I will probably get pretty fancy with the stock for target shooting. My first one I got, over 40 years ago, has probably had over a 100K rounds through it, so figured it was time to start replacing some stuff on it to ensure it keeps shooting.

MT, those Ruger 10/22's are some of the best design functioning 22's ever built. I have at least four myself. A few were bought for just collecting them and never get shot. But the custom ones we were building gets everything done on them. Stocks, trigger kits, barrels, scopes the works. I received my first one from my sister for a Christmas present so long ago, I can't remember now. It was walnut stocked as well. The custom ones we changed stocks on were with laminates stocks. Take a look at RIchard's Microfit Stocks online as see what they offer. Really neat stocks for any type rifle. And I change out most of the factory stocks on a lot of my rifles for better handling... Oh, don't get rid of them. Hold on to any type gun... :thumb:

sam60

Captain
I was in our local Cab elas yesterday and they had close to a hundred packs of .22 LR birdshot loads on the shelf.

How many? 91... 102? I guess both to would be close to 100 since you were counting their inventory. :peace:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
How many? 91... 102? I guess both to would be close to 100 since you were counting their inventory. :peace:

I am guessing around a 100, it could be a few less or a few more, based on the number of packs I have in my safe, I normally keep about 20 packs around my place so when the birds get out of hand, I have the rounds to plug them, but it was a lot of .22 bird shot shell, the most I have seen for a while. They were pretty well stocked with ammo when I was in there and they were unloading cases of ammo when I left, so things may be looking up!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have never sold a gun, I have given 2 of my guns away, one to my grandson, which was my old Marlin 336 30-30, which at this point in time I am wishing I hadn't after watching the way he is behaving as a young adult! Then I gave my .380 to my step daughter for home use if needed, it was my pocket pistol I carried in the service, of course I did give my Dad that old gallery gun, but now it has come full circle and he gave it back to me. But I have never sold a gun, once I have it, then it is kept with me.

Right now, I am looking at re-stocking one of my Mossberg modle 500 12 gauge shotguns and trying to figure out what I should do with my full auto combat rifles in case something happens to me, I have a couple of M-16 rifles an AK-47 and a 1932 .45 Thompson sub, those are not guns that can just be willed to someone!

I was looking at kits to turn the 10/22 into a 2 barreled gattling gun yesterday and my wife looked at me like I was nuts! But it sure looks like a fun way to waste a lot of rounds!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MT, we have a guy in our gun club with a full size cannon. And on special events he trailers it to the club and sets off a few live shots. If you've never seen a black powder cannon actually shoot a huge ball down range, it is amazing to see. It sure puts things into perspective about the civil war days... :boom:

southkogs

Staff member
MT, we have a guy in our gun club with a full size cannon. And on special events he trailers it to the club and sets off a few live shots. If you've never seen a black powder cannon actually shoot a huge ball down range, it is amazing to see. It sure puts things into perspective about the civil war days... :boom:
Some of the old mortars are pretty cool too ... the 6" mortar will help ya' lose your balance :)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
A friend of mine down in Utah has a couple of cannons, I have helped him move those things a couple of times and talk about heavy, but man are they fun to shoot! Last I heard he was making a bowling ball mortar, I told him, if that is the case, let me know and I will be there for the first shot!

64osby

Admiral
Didn't Mythbusters have a bad experience with a bowling ball cannon?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Didn't Mythbusters have a bad experience with a bowling ball cannon?

Don't know, I don't watch that show, but I know they have had a couple of them on Pawn Stars that Rick bought and took out and then shot them and they had a blast.

aspeck

Staff member
To answer your original question ... YES ... my boat is one of those things. Love it when that happens! As for the guns, I am with you ... never sold a gun. I gave one to a nephew and I traded one for 3, but never outright sold a gun. I would have to be very hard pressed to sell one. Love my 10/22 ... it was my grandfather's, so it has special meaning. It is probably close to 50 years old and still looks great!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Some of the old mortars are pretty cool too ... the 6" mortar will help ya' lose your balance :)

We have a 4". The previous owner used to shoot oil cans(when they were cans) out of it. Only problem, when the hit they tumbled. We were shooting at a ring that was 200 yards away and tried to drop them in. They had a 55 gal drum in the center of the ring. If you got it in there you got extra points. We did it once. Won the traveling trophy once too. Best in all classes. Good times. Still have the mortar and a bunch of BP rifles/pistols we shot in competition...

Ps. I got rid of one gun. A Remington .30-06 semi auto. I traded it in for a Browning Safari .30-06 semi auto. They gave me $75 less then I paid for it 20 years ago. I'd say it held it's value well......

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If the show continues, they'll probably be out in the middle of a desert testing.....

Last edited: