PT 305 restoration in New Orleans

Kiloecho

Seaman
As a kid growing up in the 1960-1970's, I watched my share of Mc Hales Navy reruns. I have always been fascinated with these wooden war machines. Now that I know where to find it, next time I'm in New Orleans I plan to visit.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I remember growing up watching the same program with my father .. He loved these boats and would talk about them all the time .. All this time I never realized that they were wooden hulls . Thanks for posting !

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I had no idea these boats were so long. 70 to 98 feet and some had 4500 hp. I sure would hate to have to buy the gas for one of them!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
A historic craft that deserves to be restored! Not sure how far along they are now but it would be awesome to see the finished boat on the waves.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I also watched McHale's Navy. Saw them torpedo the same sub about a dozen times! Hope the restoration effort is a success.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
They were restoring one of those here, in Vancouver WA. I'll have to see if I can find out about it. I was always enamored by them in my youth.

southkogs

Staff member
... All this time I never realized that they were wooden hulls.
Ditto here.

PT109 is the boat that kept the PTs on my radar screen. I guess mom was kinda' a Jackie O fan and at that age, a PT boat was all the interest I could find. Though, one of my clients in Chattanooga has one of the old Packard v12s in their showroom ... very cool looking motor. And BIG!

Kiloecho

Seaman
"Kids ran home from school to catch the re-runs and mothers knew were their boys were when McHales Navy was on." Ernest Borgnine loosely quoted.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I had no idea these boats were so long. 70 to 98 feet and some had 4500 hp. I sure would hate to have to buy the gas for one of them!

Who do you think bought the gas for these monsters?

The American People Did!

Just like we bought the gas for the Swift Boats, the Blackhawks and the Air Craft Carriers...

:lol:

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Who do you think bought the gas for these monsters?

The American People Did!

Just like we bought the gas for the Swift Boats, the Blackhawks and the Air Craft Carriers...

:lol:

At least gas/deisel was only about 20 cents a gallon back then. :D

45Auto

Commander
At least gas/deisel was only about 20 cents a gallon back then.

Yeah, but the average wage was less than 70 cents per hour. Makes it about the same as buying gas on minimum wage today.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
"Fuel consumption of any version of these engines was exceptionally heavy. A PT boat carried 3,000 gallons (11,360 liters) of 100 octane aviation fuel, enough for an 4M-2500 equipped boat to conduct a maximum 12 hour patrol. Some 200 gallons [760 l] an hour were consumed at a cruising speed of 23 knots, increasing to 500 gallons [1,890 l] per hour at top speed. Hull fouling and engine wear could both decrease top speed and increase fuel consumption materially."

From wiki article on PT boats and Packard V-12's . WOW

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are still actually quite a few operational PT boats around the world, I had the privilege of riding in one on the day I spread my Grandfathers ashes in Perl Harbor, quite an exceptional boat for the age and what it was constructed out of!