Cruisemaster's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike2500

Cadet
Hello to all,
I am just trying to see if there are any other water ready Lone Star Cruisemaster on this site or even better in the Oklahoma City area. I have gotten my hands on one from a good friend and I enjoy every minute on the water with it. I would like to hear about or see the many up grades or resto pictures. Here is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• Cruiser.JPG
    Cruiser.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1

Mike2500

Cadet
Thank you Sir. How long have you been in the Navy? I have been in the Navy Reserves for 11 years now, the Seabee community. I am a Equipment Operator, First Class.

May I ask what kind of boat do you have?

Mike.

Mike2500

Cadet
If not in the Navy please disregard the question as I have just caught on the posting status.. LOL

64osby

Admiral
Awesome Lone * Star you have there.

I saw one on a trailer near Interlochen MI a few years back. It was an un-restored hull in great shape.

southkogs

Staff member
Nice lookin' boat Mike! I like that style boat, but have never owned one.

Welcome aboard.

Mike2500

Cadet
Thanks,
I appreciate all the nice comments. It rides real smooth but it sure is thirsty and will burn 12gal in one day with just that little 55 Johnson on it, I think the power to weight ratio is off and I may need to step up to a 70 or 85 hp motor. I have seen factory photo's of this boat with twin 40hp Johnson's of the same era so I think I can easily do some hp up grades. Since I have owned it now for 2 years I have done a few up grades to the stern transom like replaced the old wood to 1" King Star Board inside and I plan on doing a all aluminum with sna floor to reduce the weight and stuff the haul with fun noodles for foam floatation as those don't soak in water. I just want to keep the exterior

jbcurt00

Staff member
Since I have owned it now for 2 years I have done a few up grades to the stern transom like replaced the old wood to 1" King Star Board inside and I plan on doing a all aluminum with sna floor to reduce the weight and stuff the hull with fun noodles for foam floatation as those don't soak in water. I just want to keep the exterior
That isn't accurate about noodles, and being round w/ a hole thru the middle they don't offer nearly the flotation value many expect. A better choice would be rigid insulation foam, pink or blue. It DOESN'T absorb water because it's closed cell. It's used extensively for below grade insulation.

There are multiple topics that discussing that the noodles do absorb water and don't offer nearly as much flotation as the foam board does.

What's sna floor?

An all aluminum deck may need extensive rework of the deck support structure, or use of thicker aluminum, either of which may negate the weight savings. And not knowing what sna is, a bare aluminum deck would be slippery..

Looks like a nice CruiseMaster. I know 3 guys that have them, but none are remotely close to being water ready. One is a completely bare hull, w/ most of it's original hardware and parts missing. How about some more pix?

Welcome to iboats

Mike2500

Cadet
No Title

Thank you for your reply jbcurt00,

I understand all that you are say about the structure support and the noodles so thanks for the tip. My plan is to follow kind of like how a airplane wing is built, Build a skeleton frame of welded alum tubing and mount the plate to it. With the frame you get support and also adding some I-bolts in corners I can hoist it in or out for any repairs full floor with seats and all. I got the Idea from my father who for years rebuilt aircraft wings at the local Air Force Base. What's SNA? Well I meant to say snap in carpet.. sorry. I will take more pic's

Attachments

• photo229587.jpg
    photo229587.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I am glad you said snap in carpet, because aluminum sheet sure gets hot and I would hate to be walking on it in my bare feet.

Cool project

EricJay

Cadet
Did you go with the pool noodles? I recommend calling your local Carry On trailer dealer and asking for their excess foam blocks used to stack the trailers for transport. They worked perfectly for me as I cut each one into 3 pieces with a fine toothed hand saw. Pool noodles have terrible flotation properties compared to more solid polystyrene blocks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The OP has not been here since shortly after starting this thread. For all intents and purposes, it's dead and now closed.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Eric
Mike hasnt been on iboats since early Sept and the last post in this topic is past the 90day inactive topic mark.

Avoid posting in inactuve topics, as noted in the helpful Tips at the top of any forum page.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.