Rotator Cuff To' Up

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Been dealing with a gimpy shoulder for years; impingement issues, bursitis, etc.; basically just overused parts wearing out. I finally had an arthrogram done first of last month and they detected a rotator cuff tear. The ortho doc I've been seeing figured it was around 50% which is the benchmark they use to determine whether surgical intervention is appropriate. I scheduled surgery then set up an appointment for a second opinion with someone a coworker highly recommended. He thinks I have a 100% tear. Fun times ahead, boys.

aspeck

Staff member
I will fly out and do the surgery for half the cost, in your own home. Anything for you, buddy! I will even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express the night before, so all should be good. Let me know if there is any other way I can help.:eek:

Oh, and BTW, will be praying for an easy surgery and a very quick and full recovery. Now go eat a big piece grilled of Ostrich Steak!

Volphin

Lieutenant
I'm wearing out parts faster than I can replace them too. Hope the procedure patches you up good as new!

boatman37

Lieutenant
good luck. i have impingement and bursitis in my shoulder too. been taking ibuprofen for the last 12 or so years for it. hope all goes well for ya

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Thanks fellers. I'm actually counting my blessings. We were afraid is was labral tearing which isn't nearly as treatable as a rotator cuff tear. Art, it's arthROscopic, not arthURscopic. I'll keep your offer in mind though! There is a Holiday Inn Express a few miles away.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
In coop your falling apart I say we wrap you in bubble wrap for protection and their fun to pop:D:eek::facepalm:

aspeck

Staff member
Thanks fellers. I'm actually counting my blessings. We were afraid is was labral tearing which isn't nearly as treatable as a rotator cuff tear. Art, it's arthROscopic, not arthURscopic. I'll keep your offer in mind though! There is a Holiday Inn Express a few miles away.

Just remember, half the cost, and I will bring my sharpest and best filet knife to the party! I am there for you, Coop, I am there for you! :llama:

bassman284

Commander
Sorry to hear that old buddy. My brother had a pretty tough time with his but he also had a condition that results in a lot of bone spurs which complicated things quite a bit. How long do they think you'll be laid up?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Alright, I say a little polyester and a good mix of PB and you should be good as new. I even have a few #11 exacto blades that are not totally covered in rust that should do perfectly is you want. Boaters have to stick together and lend a hand when needed you know. :thumb: Just let me know!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I will bring the staple gun....

prayers for a speedy recovery.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Art, it's arthROscopic, not arthURscopic. I'll keep your offer in mind though! There is a Holiday Inn Express a few miles away.

Not ARThroscopic?

Hope all goes well and it squares you away for a great end of 2015 and ALL of 2016!

southkogs

Staff member
... At the rate you're going, you're gonna' be one of the "Needs a little TLC" Craigslist ads. :eek:

I'll pray for a good recovery when the time comes. For now, I'm gonna' start by praying for a miracle ;)

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Funny story, (or not so funny) you decide.

The admiral had "major" rotator cuff surgery last year, while we were in the recovery area I ran into the surgeon who did my hip replacement, when I told him why I was there he got this funny look and said ooh, that's a thousand times worse than a hip replacement!

The admiral was NOT amused when I told her. After having a total hip done at 38 and a revision done 2 yrs ago after I wore the first one out I would have to agree.
Her recovery and rehab took 4 months, my second took a month. The first total hip replacement was a different story though...

Not trying to rain on your parade, just hope in the words of her surgeon "you don't have everything wrong that could possibly go wrong with your shoulder".

Good luck and God Bless and keep your boating family updated. :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral
I already tried to get the admiral to wrap me in bubble wrap............oops, wrong forum! Forgot DS is family friendly!:embarassed::laugh: Thanks guys. Y'all are the best! Swabbie, I've spent a lot of time with Dr. Google so I know what I'm in for. He'll shave down the tip of the acromiom, debride the area and reattach the tendons. Recovery will be long and difficult but it'll be worth it. The left one won't be far behind.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Amazing what pain will make you do. I hate...no...dislike hospitals and surgeons very much. But when the pain gets to a point where you think surgery or pain for the rest of your life, the surgery wins out. At least it did for my hip replacement. Best wishes and prayers are sent your way. But if you want a few of us to do your surgery on the cheap, just let us know. My exacto knife is ready... I'm sure there is a Rotator Cuff DIY forum much like these boating forums, that we can read about how to do it. :thumb:

64osby

Admiral
Trying to find my copy of Outpatient Surgery for Dummies. IIRC there was a chapter on shoulders.:faint2::D