1000 Island boaters beware

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We shouldn't allow Canadians in our waters then either. Gee, and we're supposed to be friends..... I agree, if someone sets foot on the others soil then that's a different story.... But boating????

Tnstratofam

Commander
There is a lake we boat on here that is both in Tennessee and Virginia. It's not a big deal to boat from one side to the other. It is a bit of a pain to fish on one side or the other if you don't have a dual license i.e. for Tn and Va. The hard part is that the state lines are marked by a point on the shore that can be nearly a half a mile away when you are actually on the water. It makes figuring out which state you are in a little tricky when you're on the water, especially for new boaters. Oh and the marker is about the size of a stop sign so it's not exactly an easy thing to spot if you aren't looking for it. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to figure out where the actual border is on the St Lawrence with all the islands you have to navigate.

I think it's a little crazy to have to notify every time you cross. Why not have a way to notify both borders that your boat is on the water for the day, and you may be passing between both countries waters. Then if you stop at a port that is not your home countries you could notify them of your stop. That would seem simpler than trying to figure out who's waters you are in.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
It is unfortunate that the state of the world has got us to this point as I was always under the impression it was a phone call if you were to beach or moor your boat on the other side of the border "On Inland Water Ways"

But now that I think of it there are 3 examples where if Canadians do not call into US border and customs while boating or canoeing here in BC they run the risk of a fine or impoundment and seizure of equipment or jail- Lake Ossooyas, Lake Koocanusa and the Kettle river.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, the world is getting nuttier and nuttier................

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Kinda a funny. We're walking a fine line where this could go political. Kinda like the "the fine line" separating the US and Canadian waters.....Lol

jbcurt00

Staff member
Didnt Bondo post something about this earlier in the summer?

I cant get the audio to load, just wondering if its new info or not?

Ask my Admiral, I am well aware of fine lines, and although I cross them frequently, its never a deliberate, overt act :)

Thats my story, gonna have to stick to it.

I wonder if the Canadian stance isnt in response to something the US is doing or not doing? Possibly somewhere else along our shared border?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
One of the things that come to mind is smuggling, Tobacco firearms and alcohol are big issues for our government. And illegal drugs.
Tobacco and Alcohol because of the taxes that do not get paid because of the smuggling and of course illegal drugs.

Illegal Firearms are a huge threat up here - automatic extremely restricted/prohibited while some semiauto are restricted in some cases.

Tnstratofam

Commander
How do the US and Canadian Coast Guards handle vessels on the water in the 1000 lakes regions? Or any of the border waters for that matter? Other than at sea I mean. Do the US and Canadian requirements for safety and or vessel classification match up fairly close? It would seem to me ( Although I am a simple Appalachian Mountain person ) that cooperation on the border in these situations would be beneficial to both countries as well as to the businesses along the shore. The harder and or more aggravating it is to boat on these waters the less honest people will do it. If the goal is to try to stop illegal activities I think putting extra steps in place only hurts legitimate boaters for the most part. If bad people are using the open water to do bad things making them check in every time they cross isn't going to be a real deterrent. In my opinion.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
A call is not a deterrent to the honest boaters, its the smugglers that hide in the shadows.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
So what about the ships that cross back and forth in their journey through the seawayvalleydiv the seawayvalleydiv crosses back and forth do the ships report everytime this is a nightmare because unless you have a GPS or charts and know how to read a chart you don't know which side your on when your close to the border this is Canada's attempt at saying we are going to be strict and it is failing miserably

Bondo

Staff member
Didnt Bondo post something about this earlier in the summer?

Ayuh,..... Sure did,.... little has come of it,....

Some Canuk bureaucracy flexin' their muscle,... reviewin' regulations, bah, bah,...

The local businesses say canuk traffic is near normal, many yanks ain't botherin' to cross, or call in when we do,...

The linked article appears to be a slam-fest on Scott Walker, no new news,...

Smugglin' up this way is cigarettes, drugs, money(cash), 'n far-east illegal immigrants,...

Gun runnin' is unheard of,....If any, it's Outa the USA, not in,....

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Yeah the cash is going to the states the booze smokes and such are coming to Canada nothing is gonna stop it unless you put a 10ft fence all the way across our border lime Mexico but that still won't stop it

Maclin

Admiral
Wonder if the Canada officials can handle that many calls if everyone kept boating and started calling.

Bondo

Staff member
Wonder if the Canada officials can handle that many calls if everyone kept boating and started calling.

Ayuh,..... I've talked to a few folks who have called in, when they crossed, but didn't touch ground,.....

They said the response from the canuk officials they talked to was,.... "eh,..?? What,..?? Why,..??"

Maclin

Admiral
Ayuh,..... I've talked to a few folks who have called in, when they crossed, but didn't touch ground,.....

They said the response from the canuk officials they talked to was,.... "eh,..?? What,..?? Why,..??"

LOL!