2hr job turned into six hr job

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Well I went to go change the brake pads on my truck turns out the rotors were the original rotors and they needed to be changed first I had to spend 15 minutes beating both tires so they would come off then the calipers came off no problem and learn my passenger side caliper was seized so had to go get new rotors and spent 2 hrs trying to break loose both calipers good thing they were done cuz I had to use a hammer to knock em loose but man they were stuck good my arms are killing me the good thing in all this is I saved myself over 400 dollars by changing them myself

jkust

Rear Admiral
Are you in a salt state? I'm maybe the least most likely person to change out their own pads and rotors and even I change my own. It's so easy (rust issues aside in some cases) ...I can't believe they cost so much to have done. I love the feeling of spending $60 for one axle of pads and rotors instead of $400.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I live in Canada and they use salt on the roads in the winter the rotors were the original ones

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I hope you put some anti-seize on the mounting pads so the next time you do them, you won't have to beat yourself to death.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Naw I didn't lol should have but didn't it gives me a good work out I did sand my magnesium rims though that helps a lot

southkogs

Staff member
Dunno' what kinda' rig ya' have, but apparently on Dodge Ram 2500s from the early 2000s (mine's an '04) it's very common to have to clobber the tire off the axle using a hammer. I keep a small sledge in the truck box for that reason.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I got an 08 sierra 1500 it's common with magnesium rims to have to beat them off wait that sounded bad to beat the rim sensless to take it off the salt over the winter doesn't help either

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Stock up on the neverseize and look for the stuff designed for brakes. It will withstand the most heat.

Here in Vermont not only do they use salt but as an added bonus they highway dept's mix liquid chlorides into the salt sand and apply the liquid as a pre storm treatment. Talk about RUST and pats seizing up.

I feel your pain.

rogerwa

Commander
I had an expedition once and the rotors were rusted on the hub and not matter what i did could not get them off. I had to remove the bearing hub withthe rotor attached and take them to get them pressed off with a hydraulic press. The guy kept looking at me - 5 tons, 6 tons, you sure you what to keep going?? It got to around 8 tons of pressure and it shot off like a bullet. Coated those new rotors with anti-sieze and never another problem for 150K+ miles.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Well I plan on not changing my rotors ever again the ones that were on there were the originals

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I change the brakes on my daughters Charger every 30k. So, I'm well versed on all the fun.... What happened to the good ol' days when you didn't touch a vehicle except oil changes until 100k? Sad thing is, it wasn't that long ago.

64osby

Admiral
Went to a tire shop to change out tires on my old Caprice wagon. The tire shop gave up trying to get the rear tires off. I grabbed the 5lb sledge and took a few hard wacks. They were surprised to see them pop off.

I said "Not my first rodeo"

Got a laugh out of them.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Yeah its sad nowadays when the shops don't want to touch a vehicle because they don't have a computer plug in or parts don't just jump right off the thing that bugs me with my truck is to do anything you have to dismantle half the motor to get to things where as my dad's old ford f100 with the straight six there was room to hide three full sized bodies under the hood with room to spare

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yep, just like my old Chevy v-8. One foot on each side of the motor, sat on the radiator and dug in.....

littlerayray

Lieutenant
And don't forget the old suicide bumper Jacks that would pinch your fingers if you weren't careful

southkogs

Staff member
Yep, just like my old Chevy v-8. One foot on each side of the motor, sat on the radiator and dug in.....
My Dad's old Bronco was like that. I had a buddy with an old LTD Wagon ... we could both stand in the engine bay with the 351 in between us like a coffee table.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Of course, they never fell over......:facepalm:

On of the kids in my high school, way back when, was changing his oil with a bumper jack and sadly crushed him. Never liked the bumper jacks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
next time you have to get the wheels loose, instead of beating the wheels off, crack all the lug nuts loose about 1 turn back up in the drive fast, nail the brakes, then pull forward and nail the brakes.

wheels and rotors now loose.