Out With Windows maybe Linux

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use a 32 bit machine at home. There are very few home users that take advantage of a 64 bit machine. Even at work, a lot of my simulations are done with 32 bit programs.

Unless you are doing CAD, graphics design, gaming or something similar, there really is not much benefit.

It's easier to sell you a new computer though!

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are really very few 32 bit machines being produced these days, they all have 64 bit capabilities and they have had for quite a while now. Just because your machine is running a 32 bit OS, does not mean it is a 32 bit machine, you need to look at the CPU and BUSS in it to actually figure out what it is capable of, my core duo machines came with 32 bit OS, but they are 64 bit machines. The first 64 bit processors were made many years ago, and became mainstream in the early 2000's.

As Bruce said, most people don't need the 64 bit system, but there are somethings that work a lot better on a 64 bit machine, especially graphics and media processing, I would never consider a 32 bit system for my home theater computers.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No it's a 32 bit older machine.

No since in running it off a CDDVD because I refuse to use it as is, I would have to rebuild again and just not going to do it

If you mentioned what you had, I must of missed it, let me know what model laptop we are talking about and how old it is. I have so many OS's here, both 32 and 64 bit, my windows 7 disc has all of the various versions of windows 7 ever released and they are all preactivated, I purchased it when I was building computers and reselling them, it is the same disc as Dell, HP and a host of other computer manufactures used when they were installing the windows 7 system.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There are really very few 32 bit machines being produced these days, they all have 64 bit capabilities and they have had for quite a while now.
+++1 My computer has a 64 bit architecture. It came with a 32 bit OS so that's what I use.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The laptop that All Dodge has is a 32 bit machine. Came out in 2003, Pretty old machine.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
In all honesty, we really don't need 64 bit machines, by going to 64 from 32 it has allowed programmers to become very lazy and messy with their code, if they would tighten their programming up, we would never need more than 32 bit and 4 gb of memory to do the most complex equations developed. But as things move along, we will see 128 bit processors become the norm, not in anyone that posts here's lifetime, but it will happen. But if you think about it a 32 bit processor has the capabilities to address 4 GB of memory in one operation and a 64 bit processor can address, wait for it.......16 exabytes! But also take into account, on many tasks a 64 bit machine is actually slower than a 32 bit machine and if we made the jump to a 128 bit machine, it would slow down even more. What we need for faster processing, is people to start writing code for the lowest common denominator, which is 4 bit code to run on 64 bit machines, so there is no wasted code in there. When your machine is taking up a 100% of your resources, it is running dirty code, and it continually re-processes it to try and execute that code that is mixed in and no good.

I know, way to much information, but the possibilities are endless with computers the the limits are once again, the human factor that writes the code!