Do you know how hard!!!

64osby

Admiral
MT - Sounds like a few days away was very good to you. Make the most of your free time before you go back.

Be careful what you wish for, you may actually get it. :eek::D;)

boatman37

Lieutenant
awesome news. BTW-do you have physical switches at home or a simulator? i want to work on my cisco skills a little more but sims are hard to come by and the switches aren't cheap. the only cisco experience i have was in my schooling. took 2 courses, 1 based off the CCNA book and one off the CCDA book.

i work for the federal gov't now and work 2 days a week from home and 2 in the office. i work 4 10s and am off fridays. basically i patch servers all day long to keep them in compliance. easy work for the most part but we have over 6000 servers that 4 of us maintain. but i'm always in the market for a better paying job. i enjoy what i do now and enjoy supporting those who have served (i work for the VA) but want a nicer boat so need to make more $$$...lol

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boatman, I run 5 Cisco 2950 switches in various models including the last one they produced which is the G Enhanced, I also have 2 2500 series routers and 3 1841 routers with serial cards in them, the routers are all running max memory and compact flash cards, the 1841's run the latest version of IOS that they made for them. I also have over 5 gigs of the IOS systems for various switches and routers. I have 2 Dell 1950 poweredge servers that have Windows server 2012 on them. 2 Linux servers. I make my own cables, I also have a copy of packet tracer and GNS3 that I could send you a copy of if you wanted, it is an older version of packet tracer, but it is good enough to get your studies in for CCNA. Are you planning on going the two course route or the single full CCNA at one time?

Equipment is really not that expensive in relation to what you can get in return, I know when I was doing my interview they really tried to throw some curves at me, but because I had been working with real equipment, I was able to answer and correct all of the problem questions they presented to them. The Equipment I have, I spent less than $500 dollars for, I would recommend getting a couple of routers as well as switches, it will really benefit you to get the hands on experience in all of the various aspects that can come up in the course of a day.

Currently, I hold a CCNA, A+, Network+ and a couple of security certifications.

If I can help, just let me know.

PS. Now I can tell my Daughter who to blame when her computer or network doesn't work! She has worked for the VA for about 15 years now!

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
MT enjoy your new adventure.gm280 I hear you loud and clear.I just got back from a meeting out on lake huron .Those in attendance,me myself and i.Think I will call another meeting for tomorrow on a different lake ,lol.When its -40 out is when I miss work the most.NOT!again have fun MT.

tpenfield

Staff member
MT - just thinking about your situation . . . going back to work, but having other sources of income that you have been able to live on for many years. . . . that would be great :thumb: :) :)

You can totally speak your mind and not hold anything back. :D

I would love that :cool:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks like it'll be a full fall.

Best of luck in the endeavor.

boatman37

Lieutenant
thanks MT. that isn't a bad deal...$500 for all that. i downloaded GNS3 awhile back but never used it. not really looking to get the Cisco certs but just want to get better with it. i enjoy linux and would like to go that route but currently i only work on windows servers. my last job we had a few linux servers. i currently only have A+ and Network+, as well as a B.S. in IT. but yeah, i would appreciate whatever help you can offer. i'll PM you so we can take this private

southkogs

Staff member
Just finally catching back up a bit. Congratulations MT! That sounds like a very good move for you.