Dealing with ptsd

southkogs

Staff member
You'll be just fine, your words are already saying it.
... that's the way I read it too.

Good job littlerayray. And taking time to work through it is actually a good thing. It means you have a healthy value and respect for life - yours and other's. Talkin' it out is part of the process. Thanks for sharing it with us.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Tbh most people run similar scenarios in their heads or at least I did I used to do it constantly but nothing can prepare you for the mental anguish that happens after I've also been looking into getting my first aid and cpr certification since the incident

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
CPR is a good thing to know and know how to use properly, but honestly, it does not sound like it would have changed the outcome in your situation, it is always eye opening to understand we have the ability to control some things and some things we don't

littlerayray

Lieutenant
No in ththe situation he was gone before I got to him even a team of medical doctors would not have been able to revive him but I'm thinking of the future

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No in ththe situation he was gone before I got to him even a team of medical doctors would not have been able to revive him but I'm thinking of the future

Then all I can say is you are doing just fine, get back out on and under the waters and enjoy, you did what you could. Nobody could ask for anymore, Thanks for being a great guy littlerayray, if something happens to me, I sure hope I have someone like you in my corner!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Like I said if all goes well I'll be back out on the water tomorrow I'll keep you all posted on how that goes

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
My Boss died froma heart attack a few months ago, was very hard for me. I worked right next to this man every day, and just like that he is gone forever. like others have said, you did all you could. Most would have frozen up in that situation.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Like I said if all goes well I'll be back out on the water tomorrow I'll keep you all posted on how that goes

When you get in the water, remember you now have an angel sitting on your shoulder, take a few minutes to reflect over a man who only crossed your path for a moment, shed a tear if need and then be proud you are the person you are and enjoy yourself, the man who touched your life for a moment or two would want no less. You did good, you did your best and no matter what anyone says, we all can only do our best, have a good day boating.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Not gonna make it out today just cleaned the boat and their calling for thunder showers hopefully tomorrow

boatman37

Lieutenant
wife and i went through a similar situation about 25 years ago. back story...coming home from a night out came across a single car accident involving a 16 year old kid. he was laying across the seat with his head towards the passenger side. we opened the door to find him unconscious but we knew not to move him unless there was imminent danger. well a car came down the hill towards him at about 50 mph. we pushed the car door shut and ran towards the oncoming car. it was about 2:30 AM and the other driver never saw us. we both had to dive over the guardrail to avoid being hit. he t boned the first car on the drivers side door and got out yelling at us. we ran to the young kid and his passenger door was now open and his right arm was pinned under the car frame (the rear wheel was broken off). they life flighted the kid and cited the 2nd driver for DUI. the kid survived but has many physical impairments now. he used to walk by our house. i don't know if he ever knew who we were. i felt guilty for a long time. thought what if....1) we never opened his door 2) we grabbed him out of the car when we first got there. in the end i realized we did the best we could. we had no idea a drunk driver would come down the hill. and if we had moved him maybe he had neck injuries that we could have made worse.

sorry for the long back story but just wanted to share the details. in the end we realized we did everything the best we could and probably wouldn't do anything different if we ever had the misfortune of that scenario again.

good luck and you will get through this by knowing you did the right thing!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
It's the what is that drive you crazy luckily I'm at peace with what I did and no longer have them

aspeck

Staff member
Just got done with camp and was "checking in." This thread is a great thread! Why? Because it exemplifies the caring spirit. Ray, as MT said, your words are full of hope and promise. Yes, you experienced a traumatic event. You did well! You handled the situation in a great way (I am a firefighter, chaplain of my department, and trained in water rescue as well). I still remember my first accident scene ... I won't go into the details, but it was a horrific accident and I had to watch the driver die. Nothing I could do. I can give you the smallest detail. However, in time those details are not as difficult to deal with. The knowledge that you did something is what stays with you. You did something. Being able to talk about it helps put it behind you. Hang in there, Ray. You will come through this.

Most in the "business" of saving lives deal with it by dehumanizing the victim. There are a lot of jokes and stories that make the first responder seem like they don't care, but it is the way they protect themselves. When you are not faced with these situations daily you internalize it. That is not a bad thing. Hang in there and time and your support group (family, trusted friends, counselors, etc) will help you through this. You are okay. You are normal to have the feelings you are having. It is okay, and it will be okay. There are a lot of us that understand and have been where you are.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Thanks aspeck my parents have a friend who was a sars tech and he told me to find the humour in the situation and I have at the end of the ordeal the cops asked me if I was ok to drive I told them yes and said "you guys gonna give me **** for taking my shorts off I've got underwear underneath I'm just tired of wearing soaking wet clothes " he responded with "I could care less about that" I look back on the situation and laugh cuz at that point if I smoked weed I could have pulled out a joint sparked up and I doubt he would have said anything

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I have dealt with PTSD and the only advice I can offer is that we all deal with things in our own way. Some talk,. some, think, some write, but it is what you do for yourself that will help. The wondering What IF? drove me crazy for a while, For me, God, My WIfe, and My Support Network helped me, I still cant talk a lot about things without emotions and grief taking over, but while I never forget, It has gotten easier for me over time. I hope you are okay, and thankful that you were there to assist.

God Bless You and Your Family.

George

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Just got back from being out on the boat first time since the incident it felt good I even launched where the incident took place so I could pause a minute and reflect I feel like I have complete closure now

southkogs

Staff member
Very brave Ray. I think those types of steps take more courage than many people think. Perhaps it will become a bit of hallowed ground for you in a sense?

64osby

Admiral
Doing the right thing is not always easy. You certainly did the right thing.

Having thoughts related to is a normal reaction.

Getting out and dealing with it makes you stronger and a better man.

I want someone like you near by if something happens to me.