Beginner slalom ski

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandmj

Seaman
I've been trying to get up on a single ski for over a year now and not much luck. Dropping one is problematic as well. On 2, i'm fine, but unable to get out of the water on 1. I've been given 2 different slalom skis, but I don't think either one will work well for a beginner at my size. (see my other thread on the HO SVT 67" and was also given an old taperflex (also 67" I believe)). I'm currently 182 and 6'3", and lost about 20lbs over the winter, but still having trouble w/ this. Gloves are helping w/ the grip on the handle, but I either plow, or go over the top of the ski.

I am wondering if a larger ski would help. I have no aspirations of competition, this is just for fun. As such, I've found a connely outlaw 69" for sale a few hours away that is in good condition for asking price of $150. Also found a NOS HO Rival 68" but w/o bindings. So I have a couple of questions. would either of these work, or is one preferred in my situation? Will the bindings on the HO SVT I was given switch over to the rival? (I've looked at the pics and don't think I see enough holes to mount them, but I know nothing about fitting bindings)

here are the skis in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371291411616?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/spo/5022702382.html

Thanks for any help.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, others on here will help you, but fyi - I tried for my first time last summer and I was actually able to get up. I am an older waterskier who can ski no problem on 2 skis. I am not able to "drop" a ski and yes I've seen so many not able to get up on a single ski and we do deep water starts. So, many years ago I was recommended a "big easy" by Connelly which is not made anymore. They swore that "anyone" could get up on that ski. Granted, I don't actually was to slalom ski, I just wanted to progress from something besides double skis. I got up my second try - I was stoked to say the least. For me, I had the hubby just put the boat in gear and just left me get used to being drug by the boat and getting used to keeping the ski straight. I was get turned sideways and he would stop the boat and let me get situated again, and the put it in hear. Went quite a ways until I felt like I was able to keep the ski straight. After watching a lot of youtube beginner videos I found one video that said as soon as you say "hit it" have the driver slowly and steadily put on the throttle. At that point the skier should push down on their front foot and pull up with the back foot to get the ski planed really faster and it will get you on top of the water. Point the ski at the back of the boat at a 45 degree angle. I also used a beginner single ski rope that goes around the ski to keep it upright.

Here's my post and video when I finally got up!

I finally got up my first time on a single ski a few weeks ago. I, too, read a lot online and watched videos. I agree having the ski pointed at a 45 degree angle and try not to lean forward. I read that if it is pulling out of your hands to lean the ski forward and lean back. Keep your hands and handle low on the ski. Here is my video of me getting up. We do have an old Big Easy which is suppose to be for people over 200 pounds. You can get up easy with the boat going slow at take off. My husband said he was pulling me at 25mph in this video.

https://youtu.be/fVB1H20JoeQ

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here's the longer version - you can see how long I was in the water being pulled and I didn't point the ski and push down on my front foot the first time. The second time I made it up and I was totally shocked! Check out at 1:48 and look at me almost lose it but I saved it!!!

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here's another video of some rough waters - we made a different rope handle to affix the gopro on.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I have the same ski as the 67" outlaw. It pops me right up at 220 lbs and is super stable. the 69 would really be easy. An easy up (deep v) rope would help you.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You are trying to progress too fast. Get up on two skis. While skiing lift each foot to determine which is your dominant--regular or "goofy foot" I am goofy and ski with my right foot forward.

Continue to lift a ski until you can ski for a good bit--say a couple of minutes on the single ski with the other raised.. Now, go home and practice one legged squats until you can do at least several in a row with your dominant leg.

Go back on the water. Set the slalom ski in front with the tip pointed up. Put the rope between the ski and your free leg. When you yell hit it, drag the other leg as if it were a ski and lower the slalom tip. Once up put the rear leg in the rear boot.

The learning curve should take about ten tries to get up and several more until you can actually ski.

I find that--for me-- holding the handle with both palms facing in is easier. It has your arms in a more neutral position. You also have more maneuverability of the rope.

Now that you can deepwater start, practice jumping off a dock (if a suitable one is available) Stand at the edge of the dock with the ski raise a bit. Coil several loops of rope. Here you need to experiment. It depends upon the power and acceleration of the boat. Yell hit it and as the boat accelerates and the coils are taken up. jump as the rope goes tight. Push hard on the ski foot and as you accelerate put the rear foot in its binding. Again, you will fall a lot but learn from each fall and eventually you will get it right.

Last edited:

mandmj

Seaman
Thanks for all the advice. certainly more practice will help. None of the above skis panned out but I will continue the search for a good used starter, on the cheap.

mandmj

Seaman
is there a big benefit to having a shaped ski like the outlaw, etc or a traditional like the p6?

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
"Shaped skis" when talking about waterskiing is sort of B.S. The term is familiar from snow skiing where the exaggerated hourglass "shape" WHEN FLEXED in a turn by the snow skiers' weight creates a carving metal edge in the hard-packed snow.

Water skis by contrast flex relatively little, and rely on built-in ROCKER to turn when on edge.

Shaped water skis are typically wider and I think are better classified as "wide body" skis. Larger (wider) skis present more planning area and are easier to get up on when starting, and can be skied slower once up, and have a lower amount of drag so are less tiring.

They also do not turn very well. I mean you can carve a little bit, but the width makes them harder to edge and generally it's like trying to drive a minivan like a sports car.

The HO sVT is a traditional ski and because it is narrower, especially at the tail, has rocker and bevels for carving will turn better than any wide body ski.

The Radar P6 that oldjeep mentions is a bit of a hybrid. Only about a 1/2" overall wider than Radar's comp skis. A little more planning area without getting into the wide body world and I think you'd be much happier on one. (HO Rival would also be a wide body ski, And would be a distant choice behind the P6). HO Triumph, OBrien Synchro are a could others that are more hybrid and might be ones to consider.

Sorry for the long post. Hope that is helpful.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
I've only skied on our P6 once - it is a ski I bought for my son. Used it on open water but it felt pretty responsive, I keep meaning to run it through the course some day. My ski is a Senate which is narrower than the P6, still a step below the radar competition skis but works fine in the course.

Picture for comparison.
WP_20140404_004.jpg

mandmj

Seaman
Very helpful. Thank you both. I'm watching ebay/craigslist/ski it again/etc and will see what deals pop up. Thanks again.

mandmj

Seaman
I really like the idea of the P6, but after looking at the ski, shipping and bindings, it was going to be $200-250 by the time it was all done. For me this is more of an experiment of fun and needs to be on the cheap for now. If it works out and I love it, then I think the P6 will be a great option. To borrow SkiBrain's term, I figure a middle aged inexperienced guy like myself needs the minivan-est ski I can find. With that in mind, I was came across an HO Rival 66" locally (427sq"). I'm about 10lbs over HO's recommended weight for the ski, but I figured for $50 I'd gamble. I can resell it on ebay for at least $30 if I need to. So I have a couple of questions about the bindings on this ski/skis in general. The ski has a front Shock boot and adjustable RTP. The RTP is near perfect, and the rubber on the front is very good as well, but the outer vinyl lining if fairly perished (cosmetically, but seems structurally sound) but I think it will work fine. If I like the ski, or if the front binding is worse than I think it is, are bindings universal in their mounting/bolt pattern? Also, I did see a NOS rear Shock boot, can it be unscrewed from the plate, mounted on the front plate I have, and be good to go? Thanks for all the help from those in the know.

oldjeep

Admiral
Bindings use a couple standard patterns, so you can find something that fits. And no, you can't put a rear boot on the front - they are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.