Vintage O'brien Mach I

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice
Cleaning out my shop and starting to get rid of toys I'll unfortunately never be using again. I bought this O'Brien Mach I in 1973. I believe it is the first non-wood slalom ski O'Brien ever made, and perhaps the first one made by any manufacturer. Anyone know the history of this ski and what it might be worth?

The other water toy to go is my O'Brien G2 Weapon. Sweet memories of running the local slalom course on this thing as a 50 year old man and getting high fives from the young wake boarders hanging around.

Both in very nice shape for their age. Any thoughts about what to do with these ski's appreciated.

Attachments

• photo219661.jpg
    photo219661.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 0

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The Mach 1 is in really nice shape and might be a welcome addition to someone's collection. Might bring $100-200 if you find the right buyer. EBay if you want to encourage a bid situation. http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php Has a vintage section and will give you a quick look at what mostly newer skis are selling for. Take more shots with detail of bottom condition and binding close ups.

First real slalom ski I was on was a Mach 1 just like that in 1974.

The g2 while a nice ski has been eclipsed by much better skis and doesn't have the nostaligia factor of the M1. So maybe $50-75?

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice
The Mach 1 is in really nice shape and might be a welcome addition to someone's collection. Might bring $100-200 if you find the right buyer. EBay if you want to encourage a bid situation. http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php Has a vintage section and will give you a quick look at what mostly newer skis are selling for. Take more shots with detail of bottom condition and binding close ups.

First real slalom ski I was on was a Mach 1 just like that in 1974.

The g2 while a nice ski has been eclipsed by much better skis and doesn't have the nostaligia factor of the M1. So maybe $50-75?

Thanks much! I appreciate the feedback!

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
My first purchased comp slalom too, back in '74, a 66". If yours was a 68" I'd be real interested. Prior to that ('66 to '74) I used a an old Cypress Gardens Alfredo Mendosa slalom with the rear shaved down narrower and the edges rounded. But once the tunnel concave skis came out, the sport was rewritten. Still have both skis. The Alfredo became my step out ski.