How to mount Orange Skier down flag.. Illinois Boating Laws While pulling skiers

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2 questions.

IL passed a new law starting this year that the 12x12 orange skier "down" flag must be displayed at the highest point of the boat from the time the skier/wakeboard/tuber leaves the boat till the time they return. In the past we ONLY had to display the flag when a skier was down, not the whole time they were up on the skies too.

I understand this is for the safety of the skier, but if a boater is not paying any attention to the back of your boat with a skier or tuber behind you how are they going to notice this flag. It's just a shame the people not paying attention are the ones that make it hard the ones that do.

Does anyone know of a good mount to use or a way to secure them so they do not blow off while moving 20+ mph? Those suction cups don't hold now even when you're not moving.

Does the highest point of the vessel include the Bimini top? I'm assuming yes.

alldodge

Staff member
2 questions.

IL passed a new law starting this year that the 12x12 orange skier "down" flag must be displayed at the highest point of the boat from the time the skier/wakeboard/tuber leaves the boat till the time they return. In the past we ONLY had to display the flag when a skier was down, not the whole time they were up on the skies too.

I understand this is for the safety of the skier, but if a boater is not paying any attention to the back of your boat with a skier or tuber behind you how are they going to notice this flag. It's just a shame the people not paying attention are the ones that make it hard the ones that do.

Does anyone know of a good mount to use or a way to secure them so they do not blow off while moving 20+ mph? Those suction cups don't hold now even when you're not moving.

Not from IL but would suggest asking the IL DNR or Fish and Game, they will be the ones citing if there is a non-compliance

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You can mount it anywhere you want with a slightly longer stick.

oldjeep

Admiral
Nope, no requirements for flags in MN. Only time I've ever had to deal with a flag was years ago at LOTO where we had a suction cup flag that we used for about 10 minutes and then just ignored the local requirement for the flag.

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah I think the people that come up with these rules have never been on a boat..

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ebay also has a lot of holders to mount on tower and on side glass... does the flag have to be up all the time while skiing or just when you have to go back and get them when they fall?

Dogsluvtrux

Cadet
The way I read the law is that the flag must be displayed from the time the person being pulled leaves the boat until they re-board. Not sure what to think about this whole thing, curious how many people will comply though.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
2 questions.

I'm just going to pretend I did not read this..... Such a stupid law, hated it when boating at Lake of the Ozark last year. And assuming it is the same as MO, you are supposed to lower the flag while towing the skier, but raise it when they fall back into the water. So, it has more to do with the skier being visible while they are swimming in the water. to the tow rope, but any person who passes that close to a boat needs to get their head checked in the first place..

Last edited:

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm just going to pretend I did not read this..... Such a stupid law, hated it when boating at Lake of the Ozark last year. And assuming it is the same as MO, you are supposed to lower the flag while towing the skier, but raise it when they fall back into the water. So, it has more to do with the skier being visible while they are swimming in the water. to the tow rope, but any person who passes that close to a boat needs to get their head checked in the first place..

I agree with you.. If the idiot cannot see a skier behind the boat, how in the world are they going to see a flag. People should be paying attention to what is in the water, and where they are going not checking boats out for flags. The only people that are going to know what that flags mean is people doing the activities.

I get the law in MO raising the flag when the skier falls or decides he/she is done and lets go of the rope. It's a pain but I get the idea.. However, most people in MO use the flag wrong to begin with, and run it the whole time the skier is out skiing, which is NOT the correct way in the state of MO.

I doubled checked with the state of IL because the one thing I read looked to me it was the same law as MO and another thing I read made me second guess the rule.. Here is the reply they sent me.
Copied from Email from Illinois Department of Natural Resources
E. The operator of any watercraft that is towing a person or persons shall display on the watercraft a bright or brilliant orange flag measuring not less than 12 inches per side. The flag shall be displayed at the highest point of the area surrounding the boat's helm as to be visible from all
directions, continuously, while the person or persons being towed depart the boat in preparation for towing and until re-entry into the boat when the activity has ceased. Display of the flag for purposes other than the activity described in this Section is prohibited.