Choice of "older" slalom ski with adjustable binding for friends

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, I'm cruising ebay to find an older, adjustable slalom ski for the boat. I used to ski on a Jobe Honeycomb and loved it. But, I don't really want to spend $150 on a 30 year old ski. There is also an O'Brien Alpha Centauri (which I've never heard of) that looks like its in GREAT condition for $85 including shipping and also an older Connelly Shortline demo that I can get for $100 including shipping. The Centauri has a very angular concave bottom (looks almost like the top half of a hexagon) which is kind of different looking but not sure it would really affect performance. These are all older ski's and since the Jobe is overpriced (for me) then I'm leaning toward the Shortline. Any experiences with the Alpha Centauri http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Nice-O...=100011&prg=11184&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=361109053436 or the Connelly Shortline http://www.ebay.com/itm/221458530060?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT . This will most likely be a "guest" ski so please take that into consideration. But, I'm sure I'll ski it too periodically just to prove I don't have to have a wide ski to get up on now days!

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Agree Brian with what I was caught from your post. I've got a pair of combos that are great for new slalom skiers. What I've run into a time or two is friends who have ski'd quite a bit in the past, still like to slalom as aggressively as possible but don't have their own ski. The combo is super wide and not really designed for that. So, looking for something not too expensive that I could throw in the boat for them to slalom on. Weight ranges vary so I was thinking something in the 66-67" range.

That being said, after I posted this, I googled something about older ski's and read something you had posted years ago about how they degrade over the years. So, not really sure what I should do now. I can't find a used Synchro anywhere. My synchro is a double boot but they are XL bindings, too big for a lot of these folks. Mine is a blem and I only paid $200 for it. Maybe I can find another for that price, replace with a large bindings and have an extra set of XL bindings to either sell or keep in case I need them. I really can't find a used ski for less than $200.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'd just say if you have friends who like to ski, it's time for them to pony up and buy their own ski.
If you're looking to grow your network of ski buds, their spending $200-300 represents a reasonable commitment to the idea.

My sister has tried each of my last 4 skis but she prefers the 68" O'Brien wood top that we've had around since 1976.
It's really too big for her weight and a 64 or 65" ski would be plenty but hey, she is comfortable on it, doesn't ski that fast...
IMG_4099.JPG

You might be able to put something together from ski it again dot com used skis and bindings typically sold separately. That can be a puzzle as to which will fit which, and most of the bindings on there are not going to be adjustable.

Attachments

• image_212241.jpg
    image_212241.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
If someone wants to try to ski with us, they are welcome to use any of my skis. Haven't got anything super expensive that I'm worried about someone dinging up. Both of our radars (Senate/P6) have bindings that are good from 9-12 with just lace adjustments and for smaller people our combo/slalom has a sandal type binding that fits just about anyone.

If you are looking for a binding that performs OK and has a wide adjustment range, take a look at the Connelly Nova the S-M size is good for 5-11 sized feet
http://www.connellyskis.com/product/..._front_binding

This wouldn't be a bad deal for a 66 ski and bindings if you were willing to spend $320
http://www.wakehouse.com/products/connelly-hp-slalom-water-ski-w-nova-binding.html

Last edited:

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks both of you. Honestly, looking to spend up to $100. That just a figure in my head. Geez SkiBrain, if your sister can ski on a ski dang near older than she is, then I've got lots of choices. I want an easily adjustable front boot with a RTP. So, I'll keep looking and I'll have something in the boat by the start of next summer. I'll post when I find something. Thanks again, Greg

oldjeep

Admiral
For the $100 price range I'd be looking at craigslist and garage sales. Problem with buying online with that budget is it'll cost more than $20 just to ship a ski.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
gt2003 I sent you a PM with links to two sub-$100 skis that would fit the bill.

BTW my sister is older than me, and 17 years older than that ancient ski.