Recommendations on durable water ski glove please

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've had 2 pair of the Gladiator NeoSkins. They are very comfortable but they are not durable at all. The first pair had the tips of 2 of the glove fingers ripped off on my 1st run with them. The second pair lasted a couple of weeks when one of the seams came unstitched on my left ring finger. So, obviously I'm going to have to find something different. These were at a great price point but I guess I got what I paid for. Overtons has some Connelly Men's Tournament Waterski Gloves for $44.99 that have a 4 star rating. I'm leaning towards them but am open to any other suggestions you all might have. Thank you in advance.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Behind ski and binding set up, gloves and handle are next important gear for me. Without GREAT grip and connection to the handle, it is just too hard to hold on. In addition to finding great gloves, I have worn neoprene palm protectors INSIDE my gloves and have avoided torn callus for a few years now.

Masterline Masters Curves $54, Great fit, reasonable price. Nice wide wrist strap to help transfer load. Used them for about 5-6 years and seem to get a couple pair a year. With about 70-75 ski days a year I but tend to burn through the palms.

Masterline K-Palms - a bit more money and the rough kevlar-type palm material. I've tried these a couple times for improved wear, but they bunch at the base of my fingers and pinch. Favorites of some. Don't fit well for me.

Connelly Prophecy - don't bother. Poor fit and poor quality

HO Empires (not sure if they are make them any more) sort of like the Master Curves, but a bit BETTER fit.

HO 41 Tails - Better fitting Kevlar palm option. Had a couple pairs of these, and they do last longer, but stitches started to wear through in palm by end of season. Favorite gloves until I got the below:

Radar Vapor Boa $89, Ouch these are expensive. But boy are they nice. Ratcheting system on back of glove is cool, but mostly the fit and palms. NO VISIBLE wear in the palms after at end of season and still going strong. Recommend them highly, and I would say they are twice the value of other gloves that have lasted 1/3 as long.

Last edited:

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I sure was hoping you'd show up Skibrain. I found the Empire's on Overtons for $50 so I'll just add $25 to what I've got now and get the new ones. This year is almost over so I'll probably get a year or two out of them since I'm sure I'll probably only get 40 or so ski days a year. Thanks again for your input.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
LOL, Sorry I said the store's name. Didn't know it would delete it. Who cares where they are, I FOUND THEM!

oldjeep

Admiral
Depends on what style glove you like, I hate the thin Kevlar stuff. Had excellent luck with the Accurate 3/4 World cup gloves. I use the 3/4 because my fingers are really long and don't fit decently in a full fingered glove.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i tried and el cheapo pair of Obrien Ski Skins this year and I took them off right away - felt like I had less grip and made my hands hurt after a 5 minute run.

do these Masterlines run true to size ? How tight should I have them ?

skibrain

I'm solidly a size Large when it comes to (non-waterski) gloves. I have consistently worn sz. Med. in the Masterlines, not because they run large, but because that is the best fit for me - super snug even when wet. I have worn med. in the HO gloves as well. My Radars are L and fit like med. compared to the other brands.

I generally buy gloves at retail instead of online so i can try them on, but I'm fussy, spending a bit of time comparing sizes.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
I'm solidly a size Large when it comes to (non-waterski) gloves. I have consistently worn sz. Med. in the Masterlines, not because they run large, but because that is the best fit for me - super snug even when wet. I have worn med. in the HO gloves as well. My Radars are L and fit like med. compared to the other brands.

I generally buy gloves at retail instead of online so i can try them on, but I'm fussy, spending a bit of time comparing sizes.

I agree - gloves are one thing I'd never try to buy online. Even in the same brand/model I've found some pretty noticeable size variations. Well worth paying a couple extra bucks and getting them at the local shop.

haulnazz15

Captain
I have the HO 41 tails, and like them really well. I have only had the Accurate World Cup gloves before, which were okay, but nowhere near as durable/tight-fitting as the 41 Tails. The velcro strap across the top on the Accurates didn't hold past the first couple of sets for me.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got the HO Empires in today. Yes, a little snug out of the water so we'll see what they do when we are in the water this weekend. Probably the last one for a while. Dang winter!

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another thought on the empires... They are designed with the "curved finger" design. I put them on again last night and noticed that if I let my hand relax and conform to the glove then they fit really, really well. It's only when I try to straighten my fingers straight out that they seem too snug. It's 84 degrees this Saturday so I'll actually get to give them a test run before the winter is over!

skibrain

Remove and save packaging and tags.

Put gloves on, stick hands in a sink full of water. You can see that they expand a bit.
I find gloves that fit me best are almost always too tight when dry and I am putting them on.

If you can tell the fit is really too tight, let them dry out, repackage and return.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Maybe a little difference in the water. I really think they are going to work out fine. I'll ski with them this weekend and see. Thanks SB

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the chance to ski with them yesterday and today and I really like them. They don't feel small at all in the water. The grip is really good. However...they won't make up for bad body position...