What is a good Intermediate to Adv. Int Slalom Ski?

scutty

Seaman Apprentice
HI folks, I'm looking for recommendations for a new slalom ski. I consider myself a somewhat advanced intermediate. I can get up on one with both feet in no problem. I can cut pretty hard and accelerate through the wake without hesitating but I'm not doing a course or taking anything off the rope. I'm skiing an o'brien world team now and am shopping for something a little more aggressive. I need a 68 or 69 and I typically ski at 32-33 MPH. I'm looking in the ~$500 range like the Connelly Concept V, Obrien Seige, Seven.
I'd appreciate any suggestions / recommendations. Thanks in advance-

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My brother in law just moved from about a 1986 World Team Comp XL 72" (he is 6'5" about 205) to a 69" Radar Theory.
He really likes it. I haven't tried it because it is way to big. Unless they have changed the Siege in the last few years, I wouldn't buy one as I think they are sort of squirrelly.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got back into slalom skiing and sounds like we are at close to the same level. I found a new Obrien Synchro "blem" (blemished) ski on ebay with the double targa boots for $199. It's also on another site for $249. They say the blem is cosmetic only but I sure can't find it. For me, getting back into it and wanting a ski that would do what I want, the synchro works for me. PS, I weigh 220 and am 5'7"

Last edited:

scutty

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking closer at the Radar Theory and the Senate. Looks like there are some good deals to be had on off season closeout. I'm having a tough time finding any information at all about the O'brien Seven. Anyone know that ski? The Syncro looks interesting. Thanks for that tip.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
O'Brien seems to be giving an older model new name and graphics with the seven. World Team? Siege? SIXAM 2.0? Confusing, not helpful. Sorry can't help.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looked into a seven a few years ago. But, I don't find it on their site currently so they may have quit making it. IF I remember correctly there were 7 different "zones" on the bottom of the ski that have different purposes. I really don't remember that well. I just tried to google it and can only find pictures of the top of the ski. If I find anything I'll post back. Good Luck

Ok, I was totally wrong. I found it at the big O water ski store and the bottom is as smooth as ever. Ok, no help either, sorry!

Last edited: