Our homemade pvc rope for a gopro for my single ski!

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We've put the gopro on the wakeboard tower we have on the boat to try to get some video and even putting on a 2x telephoto lens it still is far away. We made a PVC handle for my single ski - the Big Easy. It was a very rough day so we didn't get much boating in as I was getting seasick in the boat. You can tell by my ski slapping on the water that it was rough. We like the view from this rope - the camera is about 8 feet out from the handle grip. We also made another one to use wakeboarding. I use a deep v rope for my single ski - so we had to make a handle set up to hold the ski upright - what do you think?

Bifflefan

Commander
Thats is a very interesting view. Im interested in what model GoPro you have. I have the 3 Black edition. I just capture the video and then use the software to edit and zoom as needed on mine. I also have the new 3+ black but have not had the chance to use it yet.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We have the hero 3 silver edition. Are you able to zoom in on the complete video when you edit it and still have good quality? How are editing them? Didn't think you could zoom in on gopro videos .

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Interesting. Can you post a photo of the assembly and explain a little more about it? My 15 year old slalom skier would be most interested.

thanks!

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Jack - sorry it took so long for me to reply - the rope was put away last year when you posted so I had to wait until now when we got the rope out to look at it. My husband built it out of PVC pipe so it would float and we made it to go around my single ski as a still need a beginner rope to get up. The square part needs to be solid so it will float, then we used a single ski cheater rope and took that handle off and then attached the rest of the rope to the PVC handle. He then used some metal (original he has PVC but it kept breaking - it broke again last weekend - so he modified it using metal for this coming weekend. It now pivots so we can hang it on the wakeboard rack when not in use. We put a noodle at the end so it would float up the camera. it is best to offset the camera on the mount so that you get a better side view of you skiing. We have a Go Pro Hero 4 silver that we use. We have the camera mounted 8 feet out from the handle for the best video.
Here are a few photos.

Attachments

• photo226776.jpg
    photo226776.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226777.jpg
    photo226777.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226778.jpg
    photo226778.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226779.jpg
    photo226779.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226780.jpg
    photo226780.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226781.jpg
    photo226781.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 0
  • photo226782.jpg
    photo226782.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 0

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here's another video taken from last weekend using the handle and the VuVantage Backpack and a camera on the Tower. The part where the grpro was attached to the handle broke and if you notice on the video the camera is sideways - we fixed it so now it is level after adding the metal piece.

Last edited:

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Always looks like you have the lake to yourself, what state is this?

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thedinz - I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you! lol Actually, it's a skiing only lake near Bakersfield, CA. Very very small lake - only takes about 5 minute to go around the whole lake. Not many boats ever go there so we are pretty lucky. They don't allow tubes/towables or jetskis - only waterskiing or wakeboarding. The first video was from Pyramid Lake near Castaic in CA. That's a bigger lake but really rough.

Last edited:

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ahh I see. I'm all the way on the east coast. Landscape is much different so I wondered.