I have reached middle age, and want to slalom ski again...

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Turned out to be almost perfect... a little bit of a blemish on the top at the tip of the ski, nothing that will affect performance at all. Included a custom bag for it too, so it wont get beat up in my ski locker. Picked it up for $80, I think more than a fair deal, saw similar ones going for 100-130 on ebay.

Guy was my kind of people too... wound up chatting for about a half hour after we closed the deal.

Its a parabolic ski - from what I read I should get the benefit of being very easy to turn, and as a result less fatigue. Probably a good thing at 55... at least until I can get my slalom ski legs back... maybe then I will go for something more aggressive.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Dang - what a great deal!!!! Can't wait to hear how you do on it - this looks like what I should use after the Big Easy! Great find there - sooooo jealous!!!

sheyski

Cadet
I came across your post today and I wanted to share my experience and what has worked for me. In 2009 we bought a 1994 Mastercraft Prostar - best boat EVER. Anyway, I grew up on a lake and I was so mad that I couldn't get up on my favorite slalom ski - KD3000. My last boat was an I/O with only 6 cylinders and I had to hang on forever to come out of the water - lots of drag, not enough power. With our new boat, I tried for probably 6 weeks and I don't give up easily. I kept thinking that with all my attempts that eventually I'd build up enough strength not to lose the handle. My husband was still learning how to drive a boat (and more importantly, pull a skier) but it wasn't always his fault. My weight (around 205 - 210 at the time) and my "skinny" ski were the biggest issues. I also work out a lot and I'm in decent shape but for a woman, I was dragging way too much. I did all the right things about coming out of the water, but at some point you start to feel like you have forgotten how to ski! (I also was about 30 pounds lighter a few years prior and had no issues skiing, whatsoever.)

For my birthday that year, I bought myself a wider ski, I still wasn't able to hang on long enough to get up. I read all the forums and searched for answers. I must have read this somewhere, but I decided to try out our FlyHigh Ski pole that we got with our boat. It's meant for wakeboarders and if you are going to be doing some serious cutting, you wouldn't want to try this. However, even though I'm a decent intermediate slalom skier, I don't go out too far on either side of the wake and I don't cut hard.

Within a couple of attempts, I was finally able to get up. My new ski was actually purchased before my birthday and on my birthday was the day I finally got up again! (Happy birthday to me). I've also started using my ski vest that we use for show skiing (much thinner, made by Eagle) and that combination is what works for me. I can't tell you how excited I was to finally ski again. I hate skiing on 2 skis and my few attempts at dropping a ski ended up being just too dangerous for my skills.

Being a part of a ski club, I now have my own wooden ballet water ski that is quite large and I have no issue getting up with it behind the boat with the pole, but when I want to slalom, we hook the pole and I come right up every time.

I've also found that the pole works great for overweight beginner water skis on 2 skis. They might struggle with deep water starts, but put the pole on and they pop right up.

Anyway, my goal this summer is to lose 30 pounds again and get back to learning the course. I'm 45 years old by the way, so I know it's possible for you to get up and ski ;) Good luck and have fun!

Willdiver

Cadet
I grew up with my dad's boat. A 17' witchcraft with a 115 merc. A couple years ago, my brother in law picked up a jet boat (big and loud) and he tossed me a ski. An HO something. I haven't even tried in 20 years, but just like old times. Up the first attempt. Oh boy, did I hurt for a week!
2 years ago was the last time we went out, and my ski tip caught the wake. Bent the ski (wwith feet still in) over my head. My back was sore for a month.
I just picked up a 17' Kona with a 115 Mercury, so it's back on. And my 11 year old is excited to ski too. even in my 40s, this is gonna be a great summer!

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I came across your post today and I wanted to share my experience and what has worked for me. In 2009 we bought a 1994 Mastercraft Prostar - best boat EVER. Anyway, I grew up on a lake and I was so mad that I couldn't get up on my favorite slalom ski - KD3000. My last boat was an I/O with only 6 cylinders and I had to hang on forever to come out of the water - lots of drag, not enough power. With our new boat, I tried for probably 6 weeks and I don't give up easily. I kept thinking that with all my attempts that eventually I'd build up enough strength not to lose the handle. My husband was still learning how to drive a boat (and more importantly, pull a skier) but it wasn't always his fault. My weight (around 205 - 210 at the time) and my "skinny" ski were the biggest issues. I also work out a lot and I'm in decent shape but for a woman, I was dragging way too much. I did all the right things about coming out of the water, but at some point you start to feel like you have forgotten how to ski! (I also was about 30 pounds lighter a few years prior and had no issues skiing, whatsoever.)

For my birthday that year, I bought myself a wider ski, I still wasn't able to hang on long enough to get up. I read all the forums and searched for answers. I must have read this somewhere, but I decided to try out our FlyHigh Ski pole that we got with our boat. It's meant for wakeboarders and if you are going to be doing some serious cutting, you wouldn't want to try this. However, even though I'm a decent intermediate slalom skier, I don't go out too far on either side of the wake and I don't cut hard.

Within a couple of attempts, I was finally able to get up. My new ski was actually purchased before my birthday and on my birthday was the day I finally got up again! (Happy birthday to me). I've also started using my ski vest that we use for show skiing (much thinner, made by Eagle) and that combination is what works for me. I can't tell you how excited I was to finally ski again. I hate skiing on 2 skis and my few attempts at dropping a ski ended up being just too dangerous for my skills.

Being a part of a ski club, I now have my own wooden ballet water ski that is quite large and I have no issue getting up with it behind the boat with the pole, but when I want to slalom, we hook the pole and I come right up every time.

I've also found that the pole works great for overweight beginner water skis on 2 skis. They might struggle with deep water starts, but put the pole on and they pop right up.

Anyway, my goal this summer is to lose 30 pounds again and get back to learning the course. I'm 45 years old by the way, so I know it's possible for you to get up and ski ;) Good luck and have fun!

Your story sounds SO much like me. I think of myself having been a decent advanced intermediate slalom skier in my day. But over recent years, I just have not been able to make it happen - and not because I wasnt trying. I would try 3-5 pulls on the slalom ski, then finally give in and take a second ski. By the time I got up on the two (I would pop right out of the water) I was so tired that I would have a pretty short kind of boring session. "Forgotten how to ski" is EXACTLY how I feel. Ever since I learned to slalom (when I was about 14), I pretty much hated skiing on two. As I research this, I do think that at 55 Im getting a bit old for it, but I have no intention of giving up.

I tried blaming it on under-powered boats. Well, that didnt work out. Tried behind a Malibu towboat, no luck. When I bought my boat last year, I removed all remaining excuses. An 18' boat with a 5.7L and 19P prop is hardly underpowered.

Then I thought it was just that I needed to adjust my deep water start technique a little... well that still might be the case, but I sure have tried a lot of things with no success.

Im hoping the wide/parabolic ski is the answer in combination with weight loss and some good conditioning. The Fly High looks interesting, but not sure I could get that mounted on my boat... cabin is a bit cramped as it is. However, I may try hooking onto a tower the next time Im behind a tow boat (surely sometime this summer).

oldjeep

Admiral
While some extra rope height might help the start, once you are up you can't really carve hard turns when the rope is on the tower since you will be tilting the boat hard side to side. While it is great to be able to do one ski starts, don't be ashamed to go up on 2 and just drop one. One of the guys I ski with periodically is in his 80's and still competes, but typically will go up on 2 just to save the wear and tear on himself.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While some extra rope height might help the start, once you are up you can't really carve hard turns when the rope is on the tower since you will be tilting the boat hard side to side. While it is great to be able to do one ski starts, don't be ashamed to go up on 2 and just drop one. One of the guys I ski with periodically is in his 80's and still competes, but typically will go up on 2 just to save the wear and tear on himself.

80+ year old slalom skier? Outstanding! Maybe I DO have some time left!

oldjeep

Admiral
80+ year old slalom skier? Outstanding! Maybe I DO have some time left!

80+ year old competition slalom skier ;) Heck, the guy I ski with the most is my father inlaw and he is 70/71? and makes me (45) look like a monkey in the course.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ski more, is the simplest advice I can give. Change routine, change friends, change lakes. Recruit partners in crime, willing to go ski on a frequent basis. For me to get strong enough to ski well, going twice a week is breaking even and not sliding backwards. Find like-minded skiers that will encourage, coach, cajole, razz, cheer.

Hoping this week is our opener. Have a great season!

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, the boat is out of its deep sleep, running well, and ready for the season. Water is still ridiculously cold (49*) so the ski isnt in the boat yet, but Im ready for the season. I've lost 15 lbs so far this year, expect to have shed another 5-10 by the time the water warms up. There isnt a day that passes that I dont think about making this happen. Is it possible that I am a little obsessed? It should be 30 days or maybe even less now.

My new coach is ready to start barking orders at me... She found her spot on the second trip out this year.

Skutt

Seaman Apprentice
I too got boat fever this year and bought a 19' with a small block Chevy I/O. I am 63 and used to slalom ski, loved it but it has been a very long time since. My father in law had a 17' with 75hp, but it had too much prop and would never get me up in deep water. Probably some technique issues with me too. My kids are all grown now but they all are wanting to get out and have fun on the water now. The young people I talk to about water skiing want to use other more modern water toys. I try to tell them how much fun it is on a single ski but I guess they will just have to give it a try first. I picked up the boat at bargain basement price because it has a bad engine so I am swapping the 305 with a 350. Should have it in the water by the time the water warms a little. I may end up just driving the boat too but skiing again is very tempting.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I too got boat fever this year and bought a 19' with a small block Chevy I/O. I am 63 and used to slalom ski, loved it but it has been a very long time since. My father in law had a 17' with 75hp, but it had too much prop and would never get me up in deep water. Probably some technique issues with me too. My kids are all grown now but they all are wanting to get out and have fun on the water now. The young people I talk to about water skiing want to use other more modern water toys. I try to tell them how much fun it is on a single ski but I guess they will just have to give it a try first. I picked up the boat at bargain basement price because it has a bad engine so I am swapping the 305 with a 350. Should have it in the water by the time the water warms a little. I may end up just driving the boat too but skiing again is very tempting.

I think we need to get all of us older guys up on a Slalom this year... we can do it!

The only real concern I have is injury... have been working on the hamstrings a lot as they are TIGHT... but I also believe that trying to condition for skiing is a good thing for LOTS of reasons, only a few of them having to do with skidding around on top of water.

Bought a set of SmartTabs today - should even give me a better shot at a deep water start. It also will make tubing more fun for the kids as I should be able to stay on plane at slower speeds.

Now... if I could just get some sunshine and warm weather going....

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Weather forecast for Sunday is clear, 83 and almost no wind at least early in the day. I was in the water this past Sunday, it was cold, but not unbearable. The weather is pretty good all week, the water should warm up even more. My calendar is marked, the Connelly is in the ski locker, and all I need is to find myself a good driver. The time is here!

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Arghh. Failure again.

Went out last Sunday with the new ski, and 17lbs less of me. Still could not get on top of the water. Handle was getting ripped out of my hands before I could get the ski planed. Old age is getting the best of me I think. I did forget my gloves, so that is the next step, and hopefully will try again this weekend.

I actually thought between the ski and the weight loss that I was going to pop up pretty easily. No such luck.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Without re-reading all of this thread. Would having the driver roll into throttle more slowly/smoothly help?

I have not slalomed without gloves for 30 yrs. wear gloves. Cotton chore gloves are better than no gloves.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Without re-reading all of this thread. Would having the driver roll into throttle more slowly/smoothly help?

I have not slalomed without gloves for 30 yrs. wear gloves. Cotton chore gloves are better than no gloves.

I think so. One of my problems is I dont have a consistent driver, but that is just life. My middle daughter will be driving for me tomorrow... going to ask her to drag me just a bit so that I can get situated a little better, then roll on the throttle as you suggested. My gloves are ready to go, that should be an added advantage too. Im optimistic that tomorrow is the day :)

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Milehighjc - hopefully tomorrow will be the day. Our problem is we can't find anyone to go with us in order to flag for us. 2 of our 4 kids live nearby and neither of those 2 are interested in this sport at all! I've even tried bribing them with money - no go!!! All our other friends are in too poor of shape to do this. We're tempted to adopt a kid and MAKE them go with us!!! We are 55 and 60 and no one willing to flag for us so not sure when I'll be able to continue my single skiing adventure. If you recall I got up on a Big Easy last year and got right up. I was hoping to get more time on it this summer and I bought a smaller ski (Big Daddy) in the off season to hopefully encourage me. Just wish we had someone to go with us! whaaaa whaaaa whaaaa!!! Good luck tomorrow!

marksa1458

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mile high.

I have a ski rope with a v in the rope before the handle. You put the tip of your ski in it and as the boat comes on plane it forces the ski to stay in the correct position and slides up off the ski as you come out of the water. After not skiing for years, this helped me relearn the technique. I ski behind a 18 foot stingray with the 4 cyl engine and this rope really made a difference for me. I will look for a link to post so you can see it.