I have reached middle age, and want to slalom ski again...

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
! So, this year, I decided to TRY our Big Easy that we have had for about 8 years. It is a really wide board, but seemed like the best to try to learn on. Got up my second try. Granted - I've never been a slalom skier in my youngers days like a lot of you guys - but I did get up. Perhaps just practicing getting up on a wider board and doing that over and over will create new muscle memory and THEN you can try on the skinnier slalom boards.
Here is proof that and old lady can still learn new tricks!

Nice work Vicki! Dont think you qualify as old either! Good inspiration. Im hoping I can make it up at least ONCE before I put the boat up for the winter.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Checking conditions this morning... might get out this afternoon as it will be in the mid 80s, but the water temp is ... ... 59 degrees. Brrrrrrr. Not good without a wet suit, which I do not have.

oldjeep

Admiral
Checking conditions this morning... might get out this afternoon as it will be in the mid 80s, but the water temp is ... ... 59 degrees. Brrrrrrr. Not good without a wet suit, which I do not have.

Not getting any warmer out there. Shortie suit from Over tons are pretty cheap and last for a long time. We were out skiing last night and the water temp has definitely dropped a bunch.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Where are you guys at that the water temp is that cold? Our best ski lake is 2 hours away and they have events scheduled there every weekend until the end of October so we are done for the season. Wish I could have gotten in a few more sessions this year - want to get outside of the wake sooooooo bad! Guess I'll just have to settle for the start of snowboard season - but then again, that is 3 1/2 hours away to do that starting from Thanksgiving thru the end of March. :blue: Wish we lived closer to the activities that we do. The only close thing is paddleboarding at the beach - that's only 10 minutes away :)

oldjeep

Admiral
Minnesota for me. We'll go into mid-late October sometimes, but this year isn't looking good.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Colorado for me... The weather is nice, probably can take the boat out at least a couple more weekends, but skiing might be tough, water is definitely cooling. Days are warm, nights are very cool.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Milehigh, you're welcome to borrow a 69" Radar Theory from me if you're still at it (Denver). CC Reservoir still 68F water temps, Granby has hit 59F.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maidened the Crownie today, what a blast. It got up to 90, so was a GREAT day. Unfortunately, there were only two of us, so no observer meant no joy. I dont know where Larimer county was getting 59 degrees... the water was fine. There were people skiing and tubing all over the place.

Ill be out again this weekend, this time with at least one more in the boat, so ill give the deepwater start another chance. Moosehead, what a kind offer! I left the boat at my daughters hours in FOCO, so Ill be at Horsetooth, otherwise I might have given a shot to CC.

Lets hope the weekend weather holds!!!

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How fun - crossing fingers and toes (and skis) that you get up this weekend - I'm pulling for you! :cheer2:

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Horsetooth looks like a good body of water for skiing if not crowded. How's the water quality and wind protection?

We lovingly refer to CC Res as Goose Poop Lake, cause it's always warm, brown and smellly. Our home waters of Granby, on the other hand, is always butt cold, though clear and clean enough to drink.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Also MN. Metro lake 15 minutes from home. Skied before work three days this week. Probably ski again tomorrow if not windy. Will ski into Nov. and 40 degree air/water or everyone finally winterizes.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Horsetooth looks like a good body of water for skiing if not crowded. How's the water quality and wind protection?

We lovingly refer to CC Res as Goose Poop Lake, cause it's always warm, brown and smellly. Our home waters of Granby, on the other hand, is always butt cold, though clear and clean enough to drink.

I don't have a LOT of experience with it yet, but its the nicest I have been on in Colorado (at least so far). Crowded is the issue... it packs up by mid morning, and there are usually some wake boats throwing some big waves. Wind doesnt seem to be much of an issue, but I havent been there on a windy day yet, it is reasonably well protected, but I suppose some gusts could come down the canyons.

The water is brownish... but was surprised when I pulled the Crownie out yesterday that there really wasnt much of a waterline despite being parked in a cover for a few hours.

Tomorrow is the day... will be launched by 8AM at the latest (59 degree air temp forecasted), and will give the slalom the best go I can. Im thinking mostly about
  • Not having the ski so vertical, but with my weight back
  • Im going to try dragging a leg this time to see if that works (that actually is how I learned first, just switched to rear foot just behind the binding later
  • SMALL SMALL SMALL
  • WAIT WAIT WAIT
Hopefully I will be posting pics of success tomorrow night.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
For some reason, a mental tip that works for me to keep the ski flatter vs. vertical and pushing water is to press forward on my front foot toes and start with the ski at an angle to the side of the tow rope. Other's say to pull your rear leg/rear of the ski towards your butt, but the toes pressing front foot seems to keep me more consistent and also helps the ski to track from deep water rather than swinging back and forth. Good luck.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes after I say hit it I started pointing my ski tip towards the boat and pushed my front leg pretty quick and as you can see I pretty much popped up -cans i'm no skinny Barbie doll!

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Get after it Milehigh! I changed to my Alpha 4 14.5x18 prop and threw on my Obrien Synchro ski and DID IT AGAIN! Ok, that's twice for this old, 5'7", 220 lb, 45 year old guy. I'm just waiting on you, lol! Keep fighting the good fight, it WILL HAPPEN!

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Get after it Milehigh! I changed to my Alpha 4 14.5x18 prop and threw on my Obrien Synchro ski and DID IT AGAIN! Ok, that's twice for this old, 5'7", 220 lb, 45 year old guy. I'm just waiting on you, lol! Keep fighting the good fight, it WILL HAPPEN!

Saturday is looking like a great chance. Weather is supposed to be 84 and sunny, hopefully the water is still warm enough to give it a go. I was up on two last Saturday (a little rough for trying the slalom), but I popped out of the water behind the crownie like a cork (that was the first time behind the new to me boat). Im feeling pretty good about getting up on one, and will make me smile a mile wide if I can do it before the season is out.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
milehighjc - can't wait to read how this weekend goes - I'm rooting for you!!!

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cant wait for Saturday to arrive... have my driver and spotter arranged, boat is ready, mental prep complete. Im stoked... its gonna happen. Hoping to have some video or at least pictures too...