I have reached middle age, and want to slalom ski again...

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Milehigh - how about a status on your progress? I am heading out this Friday for my first time this year - finally found someone to go with us to flag. I am hoping I will remember how I got up last year. Wish me luck!!!

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just a warning, slalom courses are addicting! Recall, I got up last year after YEARS. Now I've decided I want to ski the slalom course. It's a whole new sport now. Mile High, keep us posted!

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So... The stars are aligning - a little. But I still have not won the battle. I have now lost just over 20lbs, and have been working out pretty regularly. I put SmartTabs on the boat this spring (those things are awesome!). Last weekend I had grand plans for Sunday to be on my way to the lake by 6:30AM to get smooth water. Unfortunately, my family was not QUITE as dedicated to an early departure, and we left more like 8:30. By the time we got to the lake, it was already ridiculously crowded, and huge swells from the wake boats. So that day was a scratch (I also tweaked my back loading the boat, so probably would not have succeeded anyway).

Yesterday, we did an evening outing. Unfortunately, I only had a pure rookie driver - my better half. She has driven the boat ONE other time, and that was just cruising around the lake. So I showed her the ropes while towing my son on the wakeboard, and then I tried the slalom again. I took 5 pulls before giving in to two skis, and was essentially planed out at least twice, and the last of those I was actually in the process of standing up. I thought I had just horsed it up too soon, but as they came back to get me, my son was yelling "our fault, our fault". Apparently my wife was turning the boat during the pull, so just as I was standing up the ski started sinking and I couldn't hold on. For the first time trying to pull a skier, I actually thought she did a fantastic job. If I would have had a couple more pulls left in me, I probably would have been up.

So I took out my frustrations in a very aggressive 2 ski run. With this boat, I pop up on two skis so fast it is insane. I was having a great time cutting hard back and forth across the wake until I was just exhausted. Had a GREAT time, probably my best session since buying the boat, partly because of the the things in my first paragraph, and partly because the water was so nice last night. We are thinking about trying again tonight...

Jeff

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sounds like progress to me! Keep updating and you must post a photo when you are finally up!!

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, I was worried that I would not remember how I got up last year - but I got up my first try. My goal was to go outside the wake this weekend and I did that on the first run. I just wanted to get used to being on the single again. Got a little antsy and so went outside the wake then turned to come back I and go all the way across the wake to the other side - did it and was whooping and hollering!! Then I turned to come back and forgot to bend my knees when I hit the wake and promptly fell - lol. I got up again first try and tried again and cut across the way several times. Of course, came home and the next day I could not more. My neck, shoulder blades, hands, calves and thighs were killing me! And I work out 5 days a week! lol Not sure when we will be able to go again - but I am happy with how I progressed this day of the season on my wide a** ski! lol

Last edited:
New member, 42 years old, 190 pound (85 kg), start both feet in, deep water. To get out I crouch my knees hard to my chest, get my weight forward over the ski, take a big deep breath and hang on. I learnt behind a 65HP, then until recently skied behind a 85HP that was probably putting out much less than 85HP. Now with a 135HP it is luxury. I'm only a weekend hack, so don't have gloves, wetsuits etc. just have to grit my teeth! Good luck to all of those getting back into it. 

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Frustration is mounting.

Had multiple chances this past weekend on good water. Had an experienced driver. I was actually up on my third pull, I was looking down and saw the entire ski planed on the water, when suddenly the ski started to sink, and I could not hold on. My driver apologized, said he forgot to trim down before he hit it. I tried twice more, but my hands were so tired that I could not hold on at all.

The rest of the weekend was too rough to try the slalom again, so I got some good runs in on two. Actually almost bought the farm hard on one of them because I was trying to cut like I used to with one ski, and caught an edge on the outside ski... took all I had not to cartwheel. Im sure it was pretty funny looking.

Im going to buy one of the cheater ropes... that is my next hope... if that fails, maybe Im just too old and fat to slalom ski (despite being down 20 lbs, and working out all spring).

grrr

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Jeff:

Sorry to read that you are still working on getting up. Been 2 weeks since I got up on the Big Easy first time this summer and I had a heck of a time this weekend. We use the single ski rope (cheater rope) and my problem is I was trying to stand up too soon and the rope would pop off the ski and I'd be too far forward and had to let go of the rope. After 3 tries I finally stayed squatted and little longer and got up no problem. Was able to go the whole run crossing the wakes and getting more comfortable on the single ski. I bought a used Big Daddy to progress to when I feel comfortable on the Big Easy as my next challenge. My husband decided to try the Big Daddy and tell me what he thinks. He didn't think he'd get up (he's only been on the Big Easy als) and would you believe it he got up on it the first time! We were all shocked. We have a very small 17 foot Maxum Runabout with a 130 hp Mercruiser and we had 3 large adults in the boat so he really had to hang on. The next two times we had one person sit in the bow of the boat and he was able to get up quicker. Here's a short video of his 3 attempts. Remember the first time is with all the adults in the back of the boat and the other two we had a person in the bow. My husband says the cheater rope really makes a difference because the rope will pull the board for you so you are not as exhausted - so I would recommend it. But remember to hold that rope down so it doesn't slip off too early.

And by the way - the hubby just turned 60! lol

I want another update soon!

Vicki

Last edited:

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Don't look down. When you looked down you shifted your weight. Look at the back of the boat. Head up shoulder up.

After you get up, the head is the secret to monster cuts. You can try it on your doubles. Pull far out to the right, then turn your head and look at the shore at a 90 degree angle of the direction the boat is going, and hold on!

You can do it!

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This weekend was yet another failed attempt. Once again, thought I was up, but the ski sank, and lost the rope again. I feel like I am SO close, then lose it. It really is ticking me off. If I could have just held on for 2 or 3 seconds longer, I think it was a done deal. Took three or four pulls, then switched to two skis again after it became obvious that I didn't have enough left in the tank to hold on.

I am having a lot more fun on two than I I recall from my younger days, but I still want this. Really Bad. Having done slalom before, I know how much fun it is...

Cheater rope arrived today - A Gladiator Slalom Training Rope.

cheater rope.jpg

Hope it helps... I don't feel like I'm having a particular problem keeping the ski pointed in the right direction, but who knows. My old rope (came with the boat) had a bad handle... the rubber cover was ripping off, so I wrapped it in duct tape last fall. Im starting to wonder if perhaps that just isn't a good surface to hold on to. So maybe the new rope will help in more ways than one. Hopefully will get out Sunday and get it done... finally.

Last edited:

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's one of the ropes we use along with our handmade pvc rope we made to hold the gopro and it works for us. How about some short video clips to see what you may be doing wrong. We taught a new learned on the wakeboard this weekend - she learned so fast and she was 35 years old no previous experience. My husband can tell pretty good what may be going wrong. Just a thought..... The cheater rope will pull the board along for you and should really help in getting up. Just don't make sure you stand up too fast of the rope will come off the ski and then you will be too far forward and have to let go. Keep us posted! Vicki

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We tried 3 different camera mounts this past weekend for single skiing - I think I like them! I was really trying to cut across the wakes more - I'll never be a slalom skier, but is real progress for me!!

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't have any good video of my attempts right now... what I have is only from an iphone and I am so far away that you really dont see anything but the wave of water around me. I think every attempt is probably a little different too, as I keep trying different things. The one thing that IS consistent is after 2-3 pulls, my hands are tired enough that I just cant hang onto the rope.

To get decent video, I would need to bring my digital video cam, which has some serious optical zoom. Probably not on tap for this weekend, but maybe I can make it happen soon.

While I am getting frustrated, I am still optimistic that Ill be able to succeed... its just a matter of getting everything to come together at the same time BEFORE I get too tired. Im trying all kinds of combinations of dragging my back foot, ski angle, having the driver drag me a little before hitting it, how strong of a hole shot, how the boat is trimmed, etc. Im literally working on grip strength while Im on conference calls...

Age just wreaks havoc. I used to pop right up on a slalom ski behind a 19' boat with a 150HP motor. Now I cant make it happen behind an 18' boat with a 235hp IO. I just have to keep working at it.

oldjeep

Admiral
Get yourself some gloves, that should help some with the hands. For extra grip you can get some doweled gloves so that the handle locks in without requiring as much grip strength.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Get yourself some gloves, that should help some with the hands. For extra grip you can get some doweled gloves so that the handle locks in without requiring as much grip strength.

I have gloves... they do help, like them even when skiing on two. They are not high end, but better than nothing. I had never heard of doweled gloves, so just did some reading on that. If the trainer rope doesnt help, that may well be the next step. Im working on grip strength more... since my job is a lot of conference calls, not too hard to do.

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Milehighjc - read this website - it helped me when I was starting out. Just a thought.....

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Milehighjc - read this website - it helped me when I was starting out. Just a thought.....

That was quite the interesting read. Especially this:
"When the boat starts to move, I know right away whether I had enough of the ski out of the water or not in the previous stage. If it?s really hard to hold on, I didn?t. But when I did have enough, this stage is almost effortless. I do feel the drag and it does require me to hold on, but it?s doesn?t require a huge amount of strength."​
That makes me think a lot.... when I last successfully slalomed, I was still probably 20-30 lbs lighter than I am today (even after dropping 20lbs). The MOST frequent problem I am having is getting the handle yanked out of my hands. In my younger days, I remember keeping my weight back, and just waiting to plane, rather than horsing myself up. Today, when I have put my weight back, I just lose the handle - quickly as it turns out. MAYBE... I have the ski too low in the water, creating too much drag. After all, I am bigger now than I was then, and I have a rather large ski under me too.

The times when I have managed to get the ski planed, it sinks, creating lots of drag, and then yanking the handle out of my hands. Those have been when the ski is pretty low in the water, but at an angle so that it wants to plane earlier - maybe TOO early, before the boat has enough speed to support my big butt.

Ok, so that all makes logical sense, now I just have to get on the water again. Considering an evening run tonight, THINK i have a driver and an observer.

Last edited:

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I really liked her article and it gave me ideas of different things to try because she was getting so much feedback from different people - and not everything works for everyone.

I do lean back and keep my feet high and I think that is when I was finally getting up. If I am with my knees to close to my chest I tend to get pulled too far forward and then have to let go of the rope. I say the same thing - lean back. I can tell right away if I am too forward as I can't hang on - happened on my first pull last weekend.

I hope you succeed soon!!!

Last edited:

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Slalom Ski First Success 20150730 edited.jpg

Success... at long last. I think anyone within a mile of Carter Lake probably heard my rebel yells once I was up. After reflection, I think the last time I was up on a slalom was 1986. Its every bit as fun as I remember it. I tried 5 pulls on the big ski, and just could not get up, even with the cheater rope. So I had an aggressive run on two skis, then pulled my buddy for his second run on two. I was ready to go drop anchor and have a cold beer, and a little bird told me to try ONE MORE TIME on my combo ski. After all, if I failed, I would just add the second ski, and have fun on two again.

The first pull was encouraging, was almost up, but I lost the handle just as I was coming up. So I bore down, gripped the handle harder, shifted my weight back, but kept the ski at a slight angle, made myself as small as I could... told my driver to forget about the drag me stuff, and just drop the hammer. Drank half the lake... then all the sudden I... was UP! The cheater rope was still under the ski, and I was about to go over the tip, so I gave one good yank on the rope to get it off the ski... and I was off and running. The three guys on the boat were screaming, I was screaming, if there had been any bugs out I would have had bugs in my teeth.

I'm going to be sore tomorrow... a lot. But it will hurt SOOOOO GOOD!

Cant wait for the next opportunity!

Jeff

Last edited:

firstx1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OMG - CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And you even got photographic proof!!! That is sooooo cool! Glad you got up! Hopefully the next time you go out you can get up again also after a few tries - then it's just a matter of rinse and repeat!!! :)

Vicki