A return to skiing....

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just brought home my grandfather's '69 Silverline 16ft and beginning the cleanup process on the original Merc 1000. Its been awhile since I've skied and the fam has never done it (pretty good on the kneeboard tho). Granny said to take everything, so I also brought home the skis that my uncles learned on back in the 70's. They are old and made of wood, but were kept in the garage and are not rotted out. Rubber bindings are in good shape, too.

The kids and wife will learn on the shorter/wider skis. They are a good 8in wide. Shouldn't be a problem. My question lies with the slalom ski. Its another wood ski called the Maharajah and is in pristine condition. My uncle commented that it was a fast ski and was his favorite to play on. Anyone heard of this brand or care to comment on our set up?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
never heard of it; I mostly grew up on Obriens but we did have one wood one but can't remember the name. It was a short one and cut very well, solid fin no holes like on the obrien. can you post a pic?

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
West coast ski company been around for a long time. Still making skis. Likely what you have is like one of the models listed here: http://www.maherajahstore.com/collections/ski If the size of the ski (length) is right for your weight, try it and see how it feels and enjoy the nostalgic connection. you can still get parts if needed. However, ski technology has definitely move on. New skis (last 5-6 yrs) beform better, turn easier and are more forgiving to ride. If you're on a 10, 20, 30 yr old ski and havent tried something new lately, it is worth considering. You might also check eBay or Craigslist to see listings for Maherajah skis in your area. Some bring quite a bit of money if in good shape. Nice to know, or something to consider if you would sell it to buy something new.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
wow ! Nice boat and motor combo - that reminds me of what we had when I was a kid. Skibrain is right - that ski might be worth a few hundred bucks to the right person and then you can get something new