Crazy busy- guy breaks a leg

h20skiluvr

Cadet
Saw the damnedest thing today- our river was really busy- a guy was skiing and cut out, then got clipped by a Bass Boat from behind, got flipped into that boat- broke his leg at about mid thigh, compound fracture. Boat was ticketed for not enough life vests in the boat. Glad it ended with nothing more serious than that-

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Scary. If I was not able to boat on quiet lakes with minimal boat traffic I would abandon waterskiing and probably any type of boating.

oldjeep

Admiral
Scary. If I was not able to boat on quiet lakes with minimal boat traffic I would abandon waterskiing and probably any type of boating.

Yup, we had a small local lake that we used to use a lot until they went and built a development on one side of it. Too much traffic and too many scary drivers to think about skiing there any more.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
Be almost funny if it weren't so serious! He's lucky he didn't get run over by the bass boat!:eek:

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class
we use a fairly busy river when the lake is too choppy, we have signals and procedures when we come up on other boaters, i dont like the idea of giving up something i love cause of other people so we just take alot of precautions, and generally there are 2 people at least on the boat that can handle trauma situations

but that sucks femur fractures are the worst, had a guy at the ski hill in the winter hit a tree and break one, i would not want to be the one to get him off that boat

h20skiluvr

Cadet
I generally avoid the river on the weekends because of this, there are quite a few "less skilled and over-consumed" in the afternoons and evenings then, it's those windless, early morning weekdays that keep me going back!

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Scary, hope the guy is ok, though as others said he's lucky. I cannot imagine that happening, or even boating conditions being such that it would happen. Sure, a slalom skier swings 60-75' from port to starboard and back, but another boat should not be captained that close to a tow boat of any kind, period.

oldjeep

Admiral
Scary, hope the guy is ok, though as others said he's lucky. I cannot imagine that happening, or even boating conditions being such that it would happen. Sure, a slalom skier swings 60-75' from port to starboard and back, but another boat should not be captained that close to a tow boat of any kind, period.

And you are not swinging anywhere near 60-75 feet to the side unless the boat stops ;)

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
^Not infrequently, I'll be late, hit the ball, go OTF and skip like a stone.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
And you are not swinging anywhere near 60-75 feet to the side unless the boat stops ;)

It isn't hard for a decent slalom skier to swing out hard enough to get in front of the tow point for a short time. And with a skilled driver and the right boat, you can go around it! :D