Shore Start Possible in BR175?

bmowers

Seaman
Hi,
I love water skiing and always want to find new ways of amusing myself on a slalom ski. This year I want to master a slalom shore start. I just tried it twice and it is harder than it looks. I first tried it in about above ankle deep water and as soon as I said "hit it" I put my lead leg down and the ski sunk to the bottom immediately and I was out the front in a jiffy. Next i tried it in waist level water and I believe I just squatted down and basically did a deep water start. Did it the first time but that is not what I want. I want to do a shore start like this one. Now, My boat is different that the one in the video. It is a bayliner Br175 with 135HP Mercruiser and standard 21P prop.
Do I need more boat to do this? 165Lbs 67" HO Comp Free Ride. I can get up anytime and everytime on it deep water.
Does anyone have a technique that will help me? I would be very interested if you do.

Another Video "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gImVa2NR98g

Thanks,
Brian

oldjeep

Admiral
Sure, you can hop start out behind anything if you are capable of leaving enough slack and taking the jerk. I used to hop out behind my 3.0L powered Bayliner 195, that took about 3-4 feet of rope.

My only tips are -
1) Start between calf and knee deep
2) Be prepared to hop twice
3) use a ski you hate since you will jam it into the bottom at least once while learning

Last edited:

bmowers

Seaman
Sure, you can hop start out behind anything if you are capable of leaving enough slack and taking the jerk. I used to hop out behind my 3.0L powered Bayliner 195, that took about 3-4 feet of rope.

My only tips are -
1) Start between calf and knee deep
2) Be prepared to hop twice
3) use a ski you hate since you will jam it into the bottom at least once while learning

Thanks oldjeep I will let you know how it goes.

Brian

AndyHUK

Cadet
It should be relatively simple behind any boat above 40 HP.

Advice as posted by Oldjeep.

My additions would be:

Measured coils of rope, not just thrown out slack. Depending on what your used to,
I usually teach 2 coils from a 100hp boat of about 17 foot size, 3 coils from a 50 hp boat, everything depends on the boats ability to get out of the water and on to the plane (hole shot)

Stand in water that just about touches your lower calf. If you have a full binding on the front and stand on the ski, it should cover the top of the binding + 6 inches (as a guide to the depth)
Coil 2 mtrs of rope and hold on to the ski line (in effect holding the boat back so the line is taught)
Shout for the driver and immediately let the 2 mtrs of rope loose.
you will have enough time to balance and hop once as the slack is taken.
Assuming your not a beginner to the slalom ski (which it sounds as though your not) brace for the acceleration and keep your stance ready. Remember your stance is critical, arms slightly bent holding on with both hands, front leg at the ready and not locked (a bit like your front leg should be on entry to the gate at bouy 1.

It may take a few attempts to get the timing right, i always teach this to my students...waterskiing is about timing and stance get those right and it starts to become simple. A good driver is also critical...he / she has to get it right too.

Enjoy :)

bmowers

Seaman
It should be relatively simple behind any boat above 40 HP.

Advice as posted by Oldjeep.

My additions would be:

Measured coils of rope, not just thrown out slack. Depending on what your used to,
I usually teach 2 coils from a 100hp boat of about 17 foot size, 3 coils from a 50 hp boat, everything depends on the boats ability to get out of the water and on to the plane (hole shot)

Stand in water that just about touches your lower calf. If you have a full binding on the front and stand on the ski, it should cover the top of the binding + 6 inches (as a guide to the depth)
Coil 2 mtrs of rope and hold on to the ski line (in effect holding the boat back so the line is taught)
Shout for the driver and immediately let the 2 mtrs of rope loose.
you will have enough time to balance and hop once as the slack is taken.
Assuming your not a beginner to the slalom ski (which it sounds as though your not) brace for the acceleration and keep your stance ready. Remember your stance is critical, arms slightly bent holding on with both hands, front leg at the ready and not locked (a bit like your front leg should be on entry to the gate at bouy 1.

It may take a few attempts to get the timing right, i always teach this to my students...waterskiing is about timing and stance get those right and it starts to become simple. A good driver is also critical...he / she has to get it right too.

Enjoy :)
Andy,
Thanks I will try to put this into practice on Monday with my nephews driving. I was missing the rope coil piece. Just tried it with the hop and immediately grounded the ski. I see now that the coil of rope gives one instant acceleration. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Brian

AndyHUK

Cadet
Any feedback ?
Oh and I had a student try this at the weekend behind a 190 MasterCraft, he did his usual 3 coils and wondered why he face-planted into the water and his arms were nearly pulled out of his sockets...:)

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Any feedback ?
Oh and I had a student try this at the weekend behind a 190 MasterCraft, he did his usual 3 coils and wondered why he face-planted into the water and his arms were nearly pulled out of his sockets...:)

LOL, instant power is nice when you are ready for it.

AndyHUK

Cadet
Yup....he was used to a 16 foot boat with an old Evinrude 70, I witnessed this from the jetty and couldn't shout out in time after seeing the 3 coils in his hand...after that I couldn't stop laughing, one of the funniest things I have seen in a while (other than swan and geese attacks)