Good beginners slalom ski?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I am looking for a used composite slalom ski to throw in the boat. This would be mostly for beginners or basic intermediates and I would like it to be stable and dry. I had a Connelly Shaped slalom that I sold. I think it was an early generation of shaped ski. It was easy enough to get up on but it threw water up into your face. I also have a pair of Connelly Odysseys with a single ski and they make a nice all around tandem set but I think the single is too squirrelly.

I'd like a recommendation for something name brand so that I might likely be able to find one used.

oldjeep

Admiral
Radar P6 or theory is a decent ski that you can start out on, but also really lay some turns with. www.wakehouse.com sells a lot of their previous year blems cheap. I've bought a

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i like my Connelly Shortline (the new style) - about 160 buck online new - got mine scratch and dent for cheaper on popular boating site

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
i like my Connelly Shortline (the new style) - about 160 buck online new - got mine scratch and dent for cheaper on popular boating site

I'm a little shy of Connelly shaped skis. I do not remember the model I had but the the shaped Connelly is what I dumped because it constantly threw water straight up into my face.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
I'm a little shy of Connelly shaped skis. I do not remember the model I had but the the shaped Connelly is what I dumped because it constantly threw water straight up into my face.

Sounds like weight too far forward, which is something that a shape ski will allow you to do without crashing.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like weight too far forward, which is something that a shape ski will allow you to do without crashing.
Not sure what this means 99% of slalom skiers have too much weight on their back foot. Stance should be balanced w/equal weight on both. Anything should be better than 1/2 combo set. Agree some of the old Connelly shaped skis not much fun anyway. Your intended ski speed will lead you to best choices. What works at 26 mph is much different than 34 mph. • How FAST do you like to/ intend to ski? • Do you have a small-wake boat that allows you to slice through at speed across the wake or are you avoiding the giant hump behind your boat and mostly cruising? • what's your budget?

bmowers

Seaman
I can't say enough about the HO Comp free ride Slalom ski. I picked mine up for $100.00 (new) at Wilson Marine in Brighton. With bindings they are about $400.retail.
The ski is about an inch wider than traditional slalom ski and is much easier to get up on for the beginner. This ski can take you to the intermediate level easily. I am 165 and use the 67" model. The bindings that come with HO skis are top notch. The feel of quality is all over the HO skis. I have Connolly skis also and the quality does not compare.

~Brian

oldjeep

Admiral
Not sure what this means 99% of slalom skiers have too much weight on their back foot. Stance should be balanced w/equal weight on both. Anything should be better than 1/2 combo set. Agree some of the old Connelly shaped skis not much fun anyway. Your intended ski speed will lead you to best choices. What works at 26 mph is much different than 34 mph. • How FAST do you like to/ intend to ski? • Do you have a small-wake boat that allows you to slice through at speed across the wake or are you avoiding the giant hump behind your boat and mostly cruising? • what's your budget?

It means that you can put 75% of your weight on the front of a shape ski and not die, which is why snow skiers like me like them is that you can basically lean forward on them and live. I had to get out of that habit real fast when I swapped out my Powercarve for a Senate.