Picked up a used HO Extreme SVT 8.6 Slalom Ski

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Anyone have any feedback on this ski? I'm 6'4" / 205 lbs and its been difficult to find a used slalom ski in a 69" -70" length. I picked up this one which is 69" long for $75. Hopefully it was a good buy and a better ski.

I'm not a professional by any means but I've been skiing since before I can remember and just want something which will track well and not spray me in the face. I was using the slalom from a cheap pair of 68" Obrien combo's from Dicks Sporting Goods last year with a short plastic skeg and the basic neoprene boot - the boot didn't hold my foot in at all and the tail of the ski kept skipping out on me while cutting so I was not impressed at all. I assuming the spray in the face either came from the ski being too short and/or the non-moveable bindings not being in the right position.

My dad has a nice Obrien slalom ski that I had been using in previous years and which worked great for me. I don't recall the model but it had the same features the HO has that the combo ski doesn't - aluminum skeg with hydrofoil, wrapped binding which is adjustable, longer length - hopefully I'll break it in this weekend.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo200775.jpg
    photo200775.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mandmj

Seaman
I'm going to bump this as I was recently given a similar ski and would like to know if any of the experts out there can give any info on it. Thanks

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
@Augoose and @Mandmj asking for opinions AFTER you have purchased something is awkward, but at this point you've been able to try them yourself. If you can get up on it, it feels stable and capable of carving a turn, then it is likely better than what you've had. --- I have tried quite a few HO skis and find they carve and track well, but I have a hard time making them turn. The VTX has to be 15+yrs old.

oldjeep

Admiral
Try it out and report back. Just make sure you inspect the bindings very well, if the ski is really 15 years old then the binding rubber could be hardened or rotting out.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have the vtx 8.6 at home. That ski should be fun. Also, the bindings have adjustment screws. If you get it adjusted right you it will not spray you in the face. After you get up and are riding it, look down, the water should be breaking at the ball of your front foot. You can move the boots foward and back one hole at a time until it is dialed in. Next, depending on how its turning, you can google and read about adjusting the skeg. The wing on the skeg adds drag when you push the front of the ski down into a turn. You can also adjust that angle, buy may just put it as neutral as possible or remove until you get used to the ski and the boots adjusted.

haulnazz15

Captain
I recommend removing the wing on the ski (not the fin) if you are just riding for recreational purposes. The wing helps slow you down and bite in a turn, which causes you to work a bit harder when just gliding/cruising around the lake due to the extra drag it creates. Most of the time, getting sprayed in the face is more about boat speed and body positioning than ski size. I'd see if you can't find the OEM recommended setting for the fin (if adjustable) and leave it there. Fin adjustments can be pretty complicated and are usually not recommended for novice skiers.

mandmj

Seaman
Thanks for the information. I haven't tried the ski yet, and may not this year. I've been skiing on 2 for a while, and am just trying to learn the whole slalom thing, and unless the experts recomend otherwise, will keep trying w/ a basic combo ski.

The bindings on mine are in suprisingly good shape, just the pad on the back foot needed regluing a bit. The bindings also appear to be set in the middle position of the adjustments, both front and rear. .

I actually didn't buy the ski, my dad saw it in a pawn shop that was going out of business, and bought it for a whopping $24. He thought i'd have fun trying it or just get rid of it if it didn't work out.

All that being said, if i cant keep from drowning on deep water starts, all this is a moot point.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is what you do -- put the HO on the one foot, and your combo on the other. Right as you get up drop the combo. Then let it rip with the HO having saved your energy not dragging while you get up. Next season focus on the deep water start. The remainder of this season, focus on swerving with the HO and having fun.

ScottScottWG

Recruit
I think I have the same ski. I have been looking for some information on it also. What I can say is that it does seem to be at least an intermediate, if not advanced ski. Compared to the current line of HO skis I would say it is maybe a cross level ski, opposed to a freeride (more beginner) type ski. If you are just learning to ski you may have more luck just using the slalom ski off of your combo set. This advanced ski will want to grab an edge, and can actually cause some instability for a beginner trying to maintain a straight line. It will also make deep water starts a little more difficult. Once you get more comfortable with the combo slalom give it a try. Bob Lapoint suggests that anyone going less than 30 mph, or maybe even more like 32-33, take off the wing.

mandmj

Seaman
Thanks for the info. That was the feeling I got from researching as well. The one time at the end of the season when I was briefly up on the SVT ski alone, I noticed how smooth it rode, but also how twitchy it felt. it wanted to cut, not go in a straight line. i'll try the combo set again this year and see what happens.