"Women's" skis marketing hype?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My wife said she'd like to learn some sort of tow sport this year. We don't know what it will be. I know there are both water skis and wakeboards that are colored white and pink and supposedly designed for women. Is there any actual difference in the design or is this just to sell more boards and skis?
It seems like a ski's length and possible width need to be tailored to a rider's weight but I don't see how the ski knows the gender of who's wearing them.
Can anyone tell me if there are truly any differences in the design that would make it easier/better for a female rider to have a women's ski or wake board?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: "Women's" skis marketing hype?

Sounds like the same as the snow skiing and scuba diving industries. There are snow skies 'designed for women', but as you say, the height and weight of the skier are the deciding factors, not their gender. Now, ski suits (snow or water) I can see where a difference is needed. :D

HTH,

Chris.....

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In higher-end slalom skis, the women's model usually has a softer flex pattern (for a lighter weight skier) but I'd agree it is 90% marketing. That said, 30 yrs ago, if buying "girls skis" or a matching vest/ski setup would have encouraged my wife to do more skiing, I'd have gone along with it no problem. :)

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would also add that a board that was designed for a child that is the same size as a female would work just fine. Same for mens boards. If you weigt 160 pounds and your wife weighs that, then you would use the same board. You would just have to decide if you wanted to ride her pink one. : ) Binding size would likely be different.