Looking for first pair of skis

Flysooner9

Seaman Apprentice
Just about to purchase my first boat and starting to look at accessories now. Will be looking for a pair of skis and a tube or 2. Would my best bet be looking for a pair of used skis to start out with? I've skied a few times before but the majority of us will be complete newbies. We also have a pretty wide variety of sizes from my wife who is 105lbs to my dad who is about 200. Would it even be possible for those two to be able to ski on the same set?

Also wondering if brands are a big deal or not for a first pair of basic combo skis? Any advice would be great thanks. Cant wait till spring.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Looking for first pair of skis

Combo skis are pretty cheap. On sale you're looking at about $100-$150 a pair and they'll last forever

For a 105 to 200 range I'd suggest 2 pairs though. If your goal is to just have people learn how to ski, brand doesn't matter just find something with decent bindings. I prefer the sandal style for large combos since they will fit a wide range of feet comfortably.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Typical lengths are 57" and 68", both being 6" wide. Flat bottom skis, as opposed to concave and tunnel concave bottoms, have less drag and are less tiring. Easier for a learning beginner too.

hockynut2

Cadet

Look for a pair of Cypress Gardens **** Pope skis. They are a great set of skis for anyone to learn on. Older wood skis but very reliable. I started when I was 5 with a pair of kid skis, by age 10 I was using these and still to this day 20 yrs later and at 210lbs can still use them.

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class

to learn on I would say a nice combo like cypress gardens or similar wooden, they are light weight which will make it easier to learn from. the fiberglass and composites are heavy, they tend to need more leg power to get up. if anyone was skied before that makes it easier for the rest to ask millions of questions and they can watch and see what is going right and what's going wrong. I learned on wood skis and now I use the composite, first time it was like dragging a stump. still can't get up on one ski if it's composite but can drop one, they cut like a knife in water, so be prepared. :)

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got into skiing only about 3-4 years ago, when we bought our first boat. You can find lots of used decent combo's on Craigslist or similar. Just look for something that is in decent shape. Everyone in my family (100lb niece to my 200+ lb brother) all ski on the same set of 68 HO Blast combo's. My wife and niece had no problem at all getting up on them and can also ski easily on one ski. The reason I chose the HO's was because of the binding. I have a high instep and found the traditional slip in sandle style ones uncomfortable. I generally start and ski on one ski and the HO's are still fine for me. As I get better, i'll likely start to look for a better slalom ski, but until I can start on one consistently the combo's should be fine.