Ski Rope Question

jk1nole

Recruit
Can someone recommend a nice quality rope I can buy on Amazon for around $60. Ideally something that can be used for Skiing and also Wakeboarding. Its primary use will probably be skiing.

Thanks

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Ski Rope Question

A ski rope is elastic to compensate for the enormous difference in pull when you do hard cuts on a slalom ski. A wakeboard rope is nonelastic to let you preload your board so you can get more air time and be more consistent. A normal ski rope is 75' with the handle so that rope is about 10' off which would be great for a good slalom skier. With skiing, like boarding, you can set the rope to the distance you want to cross the wake at the best point. If you are running buoys it's another story on rope length. That's a pretty good price for a good rope.

oldjeep

Admiral

Question… I thought I read 75' was about right for skiing? Personally I do more wake boarding… so I don't know. This rope wouldn't be for me.

The 60ft is a little misleading, the rope is a 15 off rope, so if you add a standard handle it'll be 60ft. 75 is a full rope, but not too many people who buy a good slalom rope are ever going to use the 75ft section that they don't even provide it with them.

If you want to wakeboard then buy a wakeboard rope and handle - you said your primary use was skiing. The handles are wider and the rope is somewhat different, although a good slalom rope isn't the bungie cord that some would have you believe ;)

Last edited:

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How about some that come WITH a handle? Here are a couple of great options that are 14-24% off. Agree with above, a quality slalom line is really less stretchy than a cheapie rope/handle.

The take off loops, while not critical, allow you to try different line lengths shorter than full 75' for skiing (flatter wake) speeds, and wakeboard (larger and rampy) speed.

Lake Elmo Sports?::?Handles & Mainlines?::?Slalom Lines & Handles?::?Proline 12" Rec. Handle w/8 loop Mainline

Lake Elmo Sports?::?Handles & Mainlines?::?Slalom Lines & Handles?::?Proline Course Handle Package

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have 2 ropes, a good slalom one for just skiing that cost me about 50 bucks and only the stronger skiers use it and a non stretch one for everything else that cost me about 25 bucks

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like a rope and handle in a bright visible color that floats. It really makes it easy to spot your rope on the water so that you don't ever get it sucked into your propeller.

RACK IT

Recruit

I like a rope and handle in a bright visible color that floats. It really makes it easy to spot your rope on the water so that you don't ever get it sucked into your propeller.

In order to be successful in skiing or wakeboarding you must by a rope that is meant for what you are doing. A wakeboard rope does not stretch and provides a straight pull from the boat. Where as a ski rope stretches. Using a ski rope for wakeboarding is a major reason people have a hard time learning how to wakeboard. The stretch of a ski rope while wakeboarding will sling shot the rider over the board during a start or landing a jump.

bmowers

Seaman

In order to be successful in skiing or wakeboarding you must by a rope that is meant for what you are doing. A wakeboard rope does not stretch and provides a straight pull from the boat. Where as a ski rope stretches. Using a ski rope for wakeboarding is a major reason people have a hard time learning how to wakeboard. The stretch of a ski rope while wakeboarding will sling shot the rider over the board during a start or landing a jump.

I am going to buy a wake board rope now thanks!!!!
Hmmmm is that why my son could not get up on our wake board?

Thanks man.
Brian