New Years Day Waterskiing in St Paul

sangerwaker

Commander
It's been a tradition here started by Bald Eagle Water Ski Shows many years ago, that is carried on today by the MN Ice Busters. Air temp here New Years Day was -5 F or so. The high temp was +1 F.

While I have participated many times in this event, negative temperatures just don't enthuse me and I wasn't there this year.

Here's an article with some great pics from this years event.

Photos: New Year's Day water skiing in St. Paul

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: New Years Day Waterskiing in St Paul

Wow, that is hard core.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

The word INSANE comes to mind.:eek:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I would totally do that with a dry suit and a few shots of whiskey! Looks cold and fun! Besides, the only other thing to do those parts during the cold, long winter months is to drink! At least this way they're getting some good exercise!
Cheers!

jkust

Rear Admiral

Yeah, they've got dry suits on...I'm sure their faces are cold though.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pic #13 is my buddy Lloyd. His boat doing the tow duty.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I did it. Yup, in 1966. I was a student at U of M back then. It was already sort of a tradition for college students.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I thought the polar bear plunge was extreme.

oldjeep

Admiral

Pic #13 is my buddy Lloyd. His boat doing the tow duty.

The one that gets me is Pic #9. We've always been careful about beaching an inboard to avoid damaging the fins, using one as an ice breaker tells me that they might not be that fragile ;)

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, they've got dry suits on

Real men and women wouldn't ... ;)

sangerwaker

Commander

Yeah, they've got dry suits on

Real men and women wouldn't ... ;)

So, are you a REAL man or woman then? I'd be willing to bet with a comment like that you have absolutlely NO experience water skiing at those temps.

Anything other than a drysuit and lots of layers under it is complete stupidity at those temps. Frostbite happens incredibly quick.

But hey, if you want to try next time its that cold, come on up. I'm sure we can get the boat to the water for you. I'll call the news crew...and the ambulance. :)

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

The one that gets me is Pic #9. We've always been careful about beaching an inboard to avoid damaging the fins, using one as an ice breaker tells me that they might not be that fragile ;)
That's what I was chuckling at … a Natique as an ice breaker. I wonder how it would do down in Antarctica? :D

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That gray Ski Supreme is the most ratty, beat ski boat I have ever seen or driven.
Don't shed any tears. BTW I think that has the HEATED center skeg option - melts through that ice like butter. :)

jkust

Rear Admiral

So, are you a REAL man or woman then? I'd be willing to bet with a comment like that you have absolutlely NO experience water skiing at those temps.

Anything other than a drysuit and lots of layers under it is complete stupidity at those temps. Frostbite happens incredibly quick.

But hey, if you want to try next time its that cold, come on up. I'm sure we can get the boat to the water for you. I'll call the news crew...and the ambulance. :)

I think he's joking. There would just be a group of nearly dead guys floating if they didn't have suits on. At least a polar plunge you are in the cold/wet for a very short time.

sangerwaker

Commander

I agree. Probably joking.

There has been a few people who have skied New Years day in just shorts and a life jacket, but only when we can get the boat close to shore. As noted in the article, those poor guys had to break ice for 5 hours and were no where near the landing when they got to open water.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I agree. Probably joking.

As noted in the article, those poor guys had to break ice for 5 hours and were no where near the landing when they got to open water.

To me breaking the ice by hand is the bigger story.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

Holy cow....I once went open water fishing in a snow storm in November and thought that was hardcore.

That gray Ski Supreme is the most ratty, beat ski boat I have ever seen or driven.
Don't shed any tears. BTW I think that has the HEATED center skeg option - melts through that ice like butter. :)

I saw the first pic and thought "obviously they're using an outboard boat so they can drain it quick" then I saw it was an inboard. Now I see you know him! Good stuff.

So what's the procedure here? He lives close by and drives like hell to heated garage to drain the block? Drains it right at the ramp when he pulls out??

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

As noted in the article, those poor guys had to break ice for 5 hours and were no where near the landing when they got to open water.

I cut a 3x3 hole for spearing once and was dripping in sweat, I can't imagine 5 hours. They'd be better off driving down to Everts on Pool 4 where they keep the ramp open year round for fisherman.